Geekhood by Andy Robb

Michelle

There are two books published so far.. Close Encounters of the Girl Kind and Mission Improbable. Beth has read both of them, and keen for more; I've read the first, and really liked it. Especially good for teen boys, but there really is something for everyone.

Amazon review..

I'd heard some good things about this book, but kept putting it off because I was a little concerned - Archie is a 14 year old teen, and to be honest, as well as being female, I'm far away from 14! When I did pick it up though, I was very pleasantly surprised, as there's really something for everyone in there.. from family issues, bullies, relationships, and just that general awkwardness of being a teen.

More importantly, there is a lot of humour, especially in Archie's Interior Monologue (or IM) - those thoughts and feelings he wants to share, but knows he should keep hidden.

The other interesting aspect is that Archie is a Geek.. he plays role-playing-games, and he paints the small models which are used. The author manages to make that all sound rather interesting, but the important part is that anyone who's felt different from their peers should be able to relate.

My 14 year old daughter then picked up the book - her main reading so far has been The Hunger Games and The Fault in Our Stars, so I had no idea what she would think. She loved it! She also enjoyed the humour, found the model painting aspect interesting (she's artistic) and enjoyed the more believable look at friendship and Archie's interest in Sarah.

In fact, she then went straight on to the second book in the series - Geekhood, Mission Improbable', something I haven't yet done. I have been informed that it's just as good, and she'd love to read more.. she feels there's more to be told in Archie's story, and she wants the author to hurry up and write it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Palagrin, could you post your reviews here rather than just links to them?  I rarely click on links to other websites for book reviews, and I'm sure I've seen other people say the same thing in the past, and it also helps discussion here on the forum, if people can directly refer to any of the points in your review.  Thanks :)