Hi

cuppycakes

Hello everyone,

I'm "cuppycakes" I'm from the US. One of my favorite pastimes is reading :readingtwo: . I particularly enjoy reading books based on actual history, historical fiction, and period-dramas. I'm very fond of British writers/writing.

Some of my favorite authors are:

Jean Plaidy

P.G. Wodehouse

Agatha Christie

Madeleine Wickham/Sophie Kinsella

Shakespeare

Allison Weir

to name a few :smile:

Some of my favorite books are:

The Woman in White- Wilkie Collins

Wuthering Heights- Emily Bronte

The Wedding Girl- Madeleine Wickham

Anything by Agatha Christie

The Six Wives of Henry VIII- Allison Weir

I look forward to chatting with everyone on the forum.

Edited by cuppycakes

Welcome cuppycakes! :) I like the sound of you already :D

PG Wodehouse is a great favourite of mine too and so is Emily Bronte and Agatha Christie. I haven't read enough Shakespeare to call him a favourite but what I have read has been amazing. Looking forward to chatting more .. have fun!

Hi chesilbeach! Thank you! :smile:

Hi poppyshakes! (I like your username too!) :smile:

LOL just realized there's no edit feature for new members....I've seemed to have misspelled Shakespeare, Madeleine Wickham and Wuthering {Heights}. :blush2:

Hi chesilbeach! Thank you! :smile:

Hi poppyshakes! (I like your username too!) :smile:

LOL just realized there's no edit feature for new members....I've seemed to have misspelled Shakespeare, Madeleine Wickham and Wuthering {Heights}. :blush2:

Do not worry .. we are all victims of our keyboards .. it's them that misspell .. not us :D

Welcome here :)! I also love Sophie Kinsella / Madeline Wickham! I liked Macbeth, the other Shakespeare works are on my TBR (to be read). I own one Agatha Christie book but haven't read it yet. Some of P. G. Wodehouse's books are / will be on my wishlist. Emily Brontë - Wuthering Heights is on my TBR (it's on my shelf but I haven't read it yet). I look forward to see you around the forum.

Hi cuppycakes! Good to meet another new person. :)

I'm a fan of Shakespeare too (at least, I like what I've read, which is probably a tiny fraction of his life's work!). Hamlet and Macbeth are my favourites; Midsummer Night's Dream, Romeo and Juliet and The Tempest are all currently out of favour with me, as I had to teach them recently and it wasn't a fun experience!

You mentioned that you like period drama: have you read anything by Philippa Gregory? I've heard a lot about her recently and wondered if she was any good. :)

Thank you poppyshakes! :D

Hello Athena :smile: Which Agatha Christie book do you have?

Hello Signor Finzione :smile: ! My favorite Shakespeare is As You Like It.  It was also the first work I read of his.

I haven't read anything by Phillipa Gregory but I have seen The Other Bolyen Girl. From what I have read about her, it seems that she is a very good storyteller so her books must be a great read! But she gets a lot criticism in the History scholar world. But I do enjoy reading about the Medieval/Renaissance era both fiction and non fiction. 

Edited by cuppycakes

Hello Athena :smile: Which Agatha Christie book do you have?

x

I have Death on the Nile. I've always wanted to try one of her books and I saw this one for cheap at the charity shop. There are two other books by her on my wishlist (Murder on the Orient Express and And Then There Were None). If I find another one cheap I might be tempted to buy it, I've heard many good things about her books.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Cuppycakes,

haven't 'seen' you on here for a short while [are you too busy reading?]What are you reading at the moment? I know you like English Tudor period, I have just read Revelation [the Matthew Shardlake mysteries series] by C J Sansom, have you read this? I liked the book, as Sansom is a very good author, but do think the central character Matthew Shardlake [lawyer] is also the weakest character.Also the most stilted in his speech patterns.The other characters seem more alive somehow [i have read other Shardlake books and feel the same way about him still!]I'm not sure what it is, but I don't feel much empathy there.

Hi gg :smile:

Thank you for the book recommendation. Have you read anymore books based on the Tudors?

I am reading The First Elizabeth by Carolly Erickson it's about Elizabeth I. I love the book so far! And what's great is that the author isn't very bias (which is not common with historical writers).

Edited by cuppycakes

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't read any more Tudor  books yet CC. I wonder what attracts us to certain periods in History?Interesting thought, as we all seem to be different.Have you been to UK to visit Tudor 'sights', Hampton Court etc?

Hi GG! How are you?

And, sadly, no I haven't visited any Tudor sights. Have you?