Ciao!

Signor Finzione

I would add in the Riyria Revelations series by Michael J. Sullivan to the list of recommendations. Now at the end of the first book I have to say that I am injoying it so much. The story is fun and well paced and he has written it so well. To add to that the author himself admits that the next two books are better that the first one, so I am looking forward to reading them as soon as possible.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be sure to give them a read soon! I like to read good reviews of a book just before I read it - I find it whets the appetite. :D

x

I do this too sometimes.

Here's a more generic question for you that I've been pondering (or anyone else if you'd like to answer), what kind of elements do you like to see in a fantasy story? For example, I always like it when there's some kind of magic involved. It's not a must but I love it when a fantasy story has magic in it, for example a protagonist who can do magic. Dragons I like but I wouldn't want them to be in every story. I usually prefer swords over guns, in my fantasy stories (in a far-away-in-time science-fiction novel I do want guns if the situation warrants). Do you like to see a brand new world, or a world somewhat based or connected to our own (I prefer a brand new world with good world building)? I usually like to see a map at the front of the book, this makes it easier for me to imagine what takes place where (if the world is big). Anyway, these were just some random questions that came to mind when I thought about fantasy books.

If that's the case I would certainly recommend the Mistborn series to you. New world with maps and a very unique and integral magic system. Swords but no dragons.

I'll be sure to give them a read soon! I like to read good reviews of a book just before I read it - I find it whets the appetite.

Yeah, it's a bit of an obsession. I don't have anyone to talk to about it in real life so this is my only outlet . . . which is why I'm all "you NEED to read this so we can talk about it!" at every opportunity. :giggle2:

It's just a shameless self-promotion really :P

I don't know many people I can talk to them about either so love coming on here to do it. Problem is my TBR and wishlist grow exponentially!

I would add in the Riyria Revelations series by Michael J. Sullivan to the list of recommendations. Now at the end of the first book I have to say that I am injoying it so much. The story is fun and well paced and he has written it so well. To add to that the author himself admits that the next two books are better that the first one, so I am looking forward to reading them as soon as possible.

The first two are on my 'TBR before Christmas' :) I've owned them for quite a while now, but the recent fuss about his new one made me want to start reading them. Good to hear it from someone who's enjoying them!

x

I do this too sometimes.

Here's a more generic question for you that I've been pondering (or anyone else if you'd like to answer), what kind of elements do you like to see in a fantasy story? For example, I always like it when there's some kind of magic involved. It's not a must but I love it when a fantasy story has magic in it, for example a protagonist who can do magic. Dragons I like but I wouldn't want them to be in every story. I usually prefer swords over guns, in my fantasy stories (in a far-away-in-time science-fiction novel I do want guns if the situation warrants). Do you like to see a brand new world, or a world somewhat based or connected to our own (I prefer a brand new world with good world building)? I usually like to see a map at the front of the book, this makes it easier for me to imagine what takes place where (if the world is big). Anyway, these were just some random questions that came to mind when I thought about fantasy books.

I prefer a 'classic' fantasy setting (as opposed to urban fantasy). I like a completely fictional world, and do prefer swords and bows to guns (with the exception of the Powder Mage books, and one particular moment in the Broken Empire trilogy). Dragons are cool, and I do like to see fantastical monsters as well - although they seem to be few and far between these days.

I think I prefer magic when it's part of the story but doesn't dominate. That said, I loved 'The Name of the Wind', where the main character spends much of the book at a magical university. :giggle2: BUT he does other stuff too, and the magic is just one part of him.

Good questions! :) Maybe we should start a thread about this sort of thing (if there isn't one already)?

If that's the case I would certainly recommend the Mistborn series to you. New world with maps and a very unique and integral magic system. Swords but no dragons.

It's just a shameless self-promotion really :P

I don't know many people I can talk to them about either so love coming on here to do it. Problem is my TBR and wishlist grow exponentially!

Yeah, both my wishlist and my TBR are a bit out of control. :D I'm hoping to get a Kindle for/by Christmas, which will make it easier/cheaper to buy the books off my wishlist but will massively increase my TBR. :giggle2:

I prefer a 'classic' fantasy setting (as opposed to urban fantasy). I like a completely fictional world, and do prefer swords and bows to guns (with the exception of the Powder Mage books, and one particular moment in the Broken Empire trilogy). Dragons are cool, and I do like to see fantastical monsters as well - although they seem to be few and far between these days.

I think I prefer magic when it's part of the story but doesn't dominate. That said, I loved 'The Name of the Wind', where the main character spends much of the book at a magical university. :giggle2: BUT he does other stuff too, and the magic is just one part of him.

Good questions! :) Maybe we should start a thread about this sort of thing (if there isn't one already)?

x

Great answers! I'll start a thread, that's a good idea.