Who can recommend a book for me?

I want a quick read that is less than 300 pages if possible, I want it to have some sense of tragedy perhaps a post apocalyptic story however I do not want simple writing such as "I survived an attack, I shot him in the head and blood flew everywhere" as pointless frequent violence in a book is unnecessary and unwanted. In short I would like a post apocalyptic story that is short, well-written and is not pointless violence with no goal.

• 1 month later...

I was in Devi's reading log, she'd posted about Philip K. Dick's The Penultimate Truth, which sounds pretty great, and then I remembered you were looking for books like this...? :)

From Book Depo:

"World War III is raging - or so the millions of people crammed in their
underground tanks believe. For fiteen years, subterranean humanity has
been fed on daily broadcasts of a never-ending nuclear destruction,
sustained by a belief in the all powerful Protector. Now someone has
gone to the surface and found no destruction, no war. The authorities
have been telling a massive lie. Now the search begins to find out why."

208 pages :)

• 2 months later...

Bonjour Sean, a book I liked very much was "Demain les chiens" which in its original version is called "City". The author Clifford D. Simak takes you to a future world where robots, dogs and humans communicate their hopes and fears for a better world in a city where no one seems to care. No doubt I am a fan of this author and read the book three times, delecting myself with all this immagination. In the french version, there is 311 pages.

• 3 months later...

Z for Zachariah by R.C. O'Brien was a hit for me and it checks all the boxes of what you're looking for.

Here is a summary from GoodReads:

A gripping, thought-provoking story about life after a nuclear holocaust, by a Newbery Medalist.

Ann Burden is sixteen years old and completely alone. The world as she once knew it is gone, ravaged by a nuclear war that has taken everyone from her. For the past year, she has lived in a remote valley with no evidence of any other survivors.

But the smoke from a distant campfire shatters Ann's solitude. Someone else is still alive and making his way toward the valley. Who is this man? What does he want? Can he be trusted? Both excited and terrified, Ann soon realizes there may be worse things than being the last person on Earth.

Though the summary doesn't do it justice, it really is an outstanding novel. (It also doesn't have much violence and the little that is included is brought about when the characters are pushed to their very limit, so no pointless violence :). )

• 1 month later...

I'm gonna hate myself in the morning for adivsing this..

Cause I usually don't like the author BUT

Stephen King's "DARK TOWERS"..It's really,really,really up your alley.

And I'm hating making him even more of a Millionare by advising you his book.

But unfortunately it's the onyl one that fits the bill