Help me find this book?

Hello everyone! I've been looking for a certain book for a few months now after hearing my English teacher talk about it, but I can't for the life of me remember it's title or author! All I can remember of it's plot, is that it's set in India, there are two sisters and one marries a rich Indian man (not sure of his official title) and the other marries an English (if I remember correctly) officer. The wealthy man dies and the sister is about to be burned alive on his funeral pyre as was custom, and the other sister comes to watch with her officer husband, however she begs her husband to kill her sister before she is burnt alive to save her pain so he shoots her from a distance. 

I'm sorry that this summary isn't very good, I am literally just quoting the way my teacher described it. I've searched the internet many times for it but to no avail. 

Thank you!

Hi HayleyMarie - welcome to the forum.  :)

Can't your English teacher tell you the title?    I can't find anything via Google either.  I've found (but not looked at) a few lists of books set in India (and there is a thread on here too which I will see if I can find for you) which might help.

Goodreads

Wikipedia

Another list

Edit:  our thread

Good luck.  :)

Edited by Janet

It's always good when you track down a book you've been after - and it's nice that you've come back to tell us.  Quite often people post in here and we never see them again.  :)

I've heard of the book but I didn't know what it was about.  :) Are you going to read it?

I've never read any of her books, in fact this is the first time I've heard of her. If you have any recommendations of her books I'd be glad of them!

I think I am going to give reading it a go, I get my student loan soon so I might treat myself to it!

Books before food. ;)

I loved The Sun in the Morning , where she talks about her life in India when she was little ; she had an eidetic memory and was able to describe things so well, that you feel part of them. :smile:

Are you off to do English at Uni ? :D

(Oh, and I just read Janet's post, and I wanted to echo her words: we have quite a few people coming in and asking for books, and then never replying. It's really nice to know LP found the book for you and it's nice to hear you've read the post and all :) If you like books and reading (which I think you do, duh :D), maybe you will stick around :) )

I am, i'll be doing basic english studies with creative writing. I'm staying at home while I study though so I essentially will have unlimited money for books (within reason). Perfect!

Free laundry and food, plus all the books you can buy - brilliant ! The course sounds good, too. :smile: