Strictly Come Dancing 2013

Raven

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the only one I really liked was Abbey this week, although the camerawork made it difficult to see her footwork most of the time but like you Kay, I thought her hair was maddening!  Surely that's why they have a dress rehearsal to make sure those things don't happen.  She's got American Smooth and Samba this week, so I think her AS will be good, but have no idea how she'll manage with the Samba.  Not sure of anyone else's dances yet, although they've each got to do two out of three remaining.  

Sophie was ok, but nothing more - poor frame and I hated the song choice, and the same goes for Susanna with a dreadful song choice for an Argentine Tango.  I did like Ashley's salsa, but when we were watching it, it made me think of an episode of Friends where Chandler says that Michael Flatley scares the bejeezus out of him because "his legs flail around as if independent from his body"! :D  I felt sorry for him being in the bottom two, as even though he was irritated to get 35 again, he was the only one to get the same score from last week, with everyone else getting a lower score than their previous dance, but it's getting to the stage where the judges scores are almost irrelevant.

It's interesting what you said about Natalie and Artem, Kay, as I said exactly the same thing to OH last night, that he's only had any chemistry with Kara, and since then, I haven't seen a connection between him and his celebrity at all.  I hate having to agree with Len (although there's no way I'm going to be so obnoxious about it), but he was right about the paso content in their routine, and there was way too much pfaffing about with her skirt, but it's difficult because it's not fair on Natalie when she can only dance what Artem gives her, but then again, he has to let Artem know what's wrong and why they're getting lower scores.

Similarly with Patrick, when they danced on Saturday, I pointed out two heel leads that I spotted, and twice he was a bit off balance, so was gobsmacked that Darcey gave him a 10, but surprised that Len or Craig didn't mention the heel leads, but it was totally unwarranted for Len to go off on one after the dance off.  Having said that, it wasn't bad for a male rumba, so 8s and 9s were justified, but the 10 did irritate me, and I've just watched their dance off again, and there were more heel leads in there second time around, although camerawork meant I couldn't see his feet all the time.  I thought Anya did a good routine though, and it helps that Patrick doesn't look his age, as sometimes when you have an older celeb, it can look a bit awkward, but it's definitely one of the better male rumbas from a choreography and performance point of view, just lacking a bit in technique.

At this stage, I think Abbey has to be my favourite dancer, but that's only because the partnership with Aljaž is better than Natalie & Artem, and generally, I prefer Aljaž's choreography, but Natalie has great potential, I just wish she had more chemistry with Artem and he got his act together with the choreography.  I can see why Susanna is so popular, and I do really like Kevin, but she hasn't really had the improvement that Abbey has, and has become a bit unstuck over the last couple of weeks.  Similarly, I like Sophie (and I'm a big Brendan fan) but I think she seems to improve one thing that the judges pick up on, then let something else go instead, and it's just not all coming together.  I don't mind Patrick and I really like Anya (in fact, I like all the new professionals this year), but I always find I end up concentrating on his feet as he does tend to be flat footed, and it sort of takes me out of the dancing.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings, I think I've said enough! :D

Anyway, enough of my ramblings, I think I've said enough! :D

Never smiley-score010.gif

The song choices are odd aren't they? I think I remember one of the pro's saying that the songs aren't always chosen by either them or the celeb :shrug: but then Sophie did say she was a massive Madonna fan so maybe that was her choice, I can't see Susanna picking Smooth Criminal though for an AT :o Also what's maddening is the amount of songs that have been used before .. with all the songs in the world to choose from .. why repeat songs? .. unless the band get a say in it :D 

Yep Abbey's hair should have been sorted in rehearsals (but sometimes I've seen them with rollers in .. or is that just in a run through?) it looked uncomfortable for her.

Had to laugh at your Michael Flatley reference Claire :giggle2: .. there was definitely a touch of that about it.

I think Darcy's votes aren't always coming from her head :giggle: .. Alesha and Arlene were the same .. and there's Karen Hardy too who somehow thought Nicky Byrne's Rumba was brilliant :confused: Hormones always come into it somewhere  :D  

People always speculate that Artem is perhaps not allowed to be too chemical with his partner for fear of upsetting Kara but I don't think it's that .. it is a difficult thing I guess to be so intimate with someone you hardly know and some are going to click more than others.

If Sophie does get to the final and does a showdance .. I doubt we'll see Bacofoil part 2 :D .. she'd never allow it. Brendan should choreograph a nice Fred & Ginger number .. or maybe something kooky but nothing circus like or too arty. I'm getting a bit ahead now :blush2: 

They both irritate me :giggle2:

When Karen was dancing I really liked her (with Bill Turnbull and Mark Ramprakash anyway) and voted for her to win with Mark. But, increasingly, on ITT I find she maddens me. It's not the criticism I mind (though she is just as capable of having favourites and being blind to their faults as the rest of us so, in my view, she's not impartial) .. it's that she's a little bit smug and also a bit of a show-off .. now obviously all the dancers are show-offs but some come across better. Ian doesn't irritate me at all and yet he shows off something terrible .. there's humour though and he doesn't have that 'I know best' attitude.

Karen Hauer is hard to warm to at all but then Kevin likes her well enough to marry her :o  :D perhaps she improves upon acquaintance :unsure: 

Both girls are great dancers though .. Karen and Mark's Salsa is still my fave Salsa ever.

I did like Artem with Kara .. the dances were brilliant and unsurprisingly (considering they are still a couple now .. at least I think so)

Oops I've just read today that they have split .. or are on the verge of splitting. Hope I didn't put the kibosh on it :blush2: 

I think the right four made it to the final :smile:   Abbey got my vote in the semi, thought both their dances were brilliant :smile:   I don't suppose for one minute it'll turn out this way, especially with Susanna and Sophie never having been in the dance-off, but based on the performances so far I'd have Abbey winning, Natalie second, Sophie third, and Susanna fourth. 

Interesting week .. watched it at Mum's. I was a bit disappointed that Natalie was in the d/o (though I don't vote so can't moan ... but you know .. why let that stop you :giggle:) but not half as disappointed as my little niece Rosie as Natalie is her favourite. I thought her two dances were practically faultless and I enjoy her energy. Like you Steve .. I really enjoy Abbey's dancing. If I did vote (and I may well in the final .. more fool me :blush2:) I would vote for her. What I love is her attitude to it and how much she enjoys it and this transfers to her dancing (and I think she's improved tremendously too and has good chemistry with Aljaz.) To see her singing along every week makes me smile. Susanna is not improving .. the cracks are showing a bit and though I do love ole Kevin (he does overdo it a bit though :blush2:) .. I'm not bowled over by her performances (she also enjoys them like Abbey but in her case it transfers into something slightly messy.) Or Sophie's for that matter ... it all looks too stiff (or strangely too floppy) and a bit too polite and therefore unexciting (to me.)

I honestly think it will come down to either Sophie or Susanna (so common sense tells me to save my money) which is disappointing from a dance point of view but this is a popularity contest and it's a given that those two are very popular as they've not been in the d/o despite some very precarious positions on the leaderboard. Nat and Abbey have both been in the d/o and one of them will exit the final early I think. Perhaps Abbey is gaining ground with the public but it's the final so they'll all be brushing off their good dances (so surely out will come the Charleston for Sophie and the Paso for Susanna) .. hopefully Nat and Abbey won't get stitched up by the judges and given their dance off dances to reprise (yeah .. still annoyed about that :giggle:)

Let's hope for a good final and good showdances .. less of the acrobatics please .. it's not a circus :D 

I'm waiting for next Saturday to make up my mind for who I'll vote for (if anyone) in the final, but I did vote for Abbey at the weekend, as her dances were the ones I enjoyed most, especially the American Smooth - I didn't think her samba was worthy of a 10, as there were some mistakes, but then there were way too many 10s given out on the night, so I'm not going to begrudge her them!  I didn't like Nat's AT first time around, but when she danced it in the dance off, I thought it was much more engaging, and can't put my finger on why. :dunno:

I have to agree with lots of the comments I've heard praising Brendan's choreography - I think he's outdone himself this year, but unfortunately, Sophie hasn't quite managed to live up to it.  I do like her though, and have voted for her a few times through the series, as I didn't want to see her go, but not necessarily because I thought she was the best on the night.  What put me off her AS on Saturday was the dress which I found really distracting.  

Susanna, meanwhile, is sort of a female equivalent of Chris Hollins - good fun, a great interviewee on It Takes Two, bags of personality, tries really hard, but isn't the best dancer technically.  But, if she dances her paso doble and waltz again to the same level or better in the final, she could get much closer to the others, and possibly surpass Sophie, and I'm a sucker for a paso doble. :giggle2:

Throughout the series, out of the four finalists, I've voted for Abbey, Sophie and Susanna, but if Natalie engages me on Saturday, my vote could go her way instead!  It's really open as far as I'm concerned.

Let's hope for a good final and good showdances .. less of the acrobatics please .. it's not a circus :D 

Oh crikey, yes, totally agree.  More show dances like Tom what-his-face's and less like Louis Smith's, PLEASE!

:D

I agree with Steve in that I thought this one was one of the best show dances .. played to all his strengths and was tremendous fun  :smile:  

I think the male celeb show dances have been better .. they don't usually go as mad with the lifts (doesn't bode well for this evening :D) .. but then again I've just remembered Colin Jackson's  :o  :o  :o .. I can't find it on YouTube .. Erin has probably burnt all the footage  :D  

I'm worried about both Sophie's and Abbey's .. just going on the music alone they have disaster potential  :D Could well be brilliant though if performed well.

Fingers crossed that the winner is whoever is best on the night  :smile: May well throw a few votes in  :blush2: 

There is some footage of their show dance training on the BBC website, so I'll put this in spoiler tags in case you don't want to know anything in advance:

I think Abbey's might not be too bad - it's got a strong tango and paso feel to it, so I don't think it'll be too OTT, it's just whether the music suits it.  Sophie I'm a bit more worried about as it's got latin content in there which hasn't been her strong point.  Susanna's looks like it's waltz based, and that was one of her better dances, so that could be lovely - I think it'll end up looking a bit like an American Smooth.  Natalie's looks like it'll be another one that looks like an American Smooth, and she mentioned some tap steps too, so I suspect it will be very much like Tom Chambers style of show dance.

I'm sorry to see Sophie and Brendan go out first (they were my favourites!).  I'd like Susanna and Kevin from Grimsby to win.  I thought Natalie was really good tonight but she has no personality so (rightly or wrongly) I don't want her to win!  :giggle:

I thought Sophie's showdance was horrible ... Brendan hasn't learnt since last time. The only thing was it was good to see Sophie enjoying it and looking more relaxed .. her technique wasn't good though and too many lifts. Out of the others Natalie's was just wow .. I hoped it would be and it was :) Very happy for her that she got through because the best dancer should be there at the end.

Didn't enjoy the paso so much on second viewing ... I don't know why .. too much posturing I think. Aljaz messed up though I do love that dance .. Natalie is just a beautiful dancer. For the dancing I would give it to Natalie .. for everything else Abbey. I've split my few votes between them :smile: 

Very happy for Abbey and Aljaz .. she was the most improved imo and I thought he was an excellent choreographer .. he knew what suited her. Natalie couldn't quite shake off her Corrie image :D but what an absolutely beautiful dancer. Thought Susanna would win so really surprised.

Very happy for Abbey and Aljaz .. she was the most improved imo and I thought he was an excellent choreographer .. he knew what suited her. Natalie couldn't quite shake off her Corrie image :D but what an absolutely beautiful dancer. Thought Susanna would win so really surprised.

Ditto to all of this.  Really glad Natalie got to the final three, I thought she was brilliant, but Abbey was the one who improved the most (the dreaded 'J' word  :giggle2: ) and she seemed a more natural dancer to me.  I was surprised Sophie didn't make the final three but her show dance was the worst of the four and her dancing never looked quite right to me :shrug:

Natalie's show dance was the highlight of the whole series for me, though.  Shall have to watch it again on Claire's site  :D

ETA:  I always wondered why they never had an It Takes Two after the final, so was quite glad they had the red button thing afterwards, even if it was a bit rough around the edges  :smile:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

I've watched all of the dances again and showed Alan some of them this morning .. thanks Claire  :D

Yes .. brilliant that they had an ITT after the final .. I personally think they should have a whole hour long episode on Monday but this is at least a step in the right direction .. it always seems too final that the final is ... ermm .. final  :D .. it's good to get reactions etc (though not sure my ears have recovered yet from Abbey  :D)

As always it seems a bit flat now :( I don't like the Xmas special much but will be watching it for sure  :smile: