Strictly Come Dancing 2013

Raven

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rachel Riley  :wub:  I know who I'm voting for - I don't care if she can't dance :giggle2:

Never forget Pendleton :D What with Rachel, Abby, Susanna and Sophie .. the men are well sorted for eye candy this year. We've got Dave Myers, Mark Benton and Julien Macdonald :D (okay I'm conveniently passing over Ben Cohen and Ashley Taylor Dawson and Patrick Robinson but tbh .. I've never heard of them :blush2:) I can't get enthusiastic about this line-up though .. perhaps that will change. The thing is I always need a hook to get me to watch in the first place .. some series have completely passed me by because I couldn't muster up the will. Never in a million years did I think I would root for Kimberley Walsh though so you never know who will turn out to be a favourite.

What about her? :shrug: 

Contrary to expectations .. she didn't look good on the dancefloor (unless standing still :D) .. after a while any votes for her were just prolonging the agony (both hers and ours :D). I don't think Rachel will have any problems though .. I've got a feeling she'll be good :yes: I'd be amazed if Sophie and Abby didn't already have a fair idea of how to strut their stuff so at least their latin should be good.

I was hoping we wouldn't have to put up with Julien screeching about 'bugle beads' and 'godets' this year :sarcastic: .. that's going to get tiresome.

Oh!! .. why isn't Colin Firth doing it? :hissyfit:  :D 

Contrary to expectations .. she didn't look good on the dancefloor (unless standing still :D) .. after a while any votes for her were just prolonging the agony (both hers and ours :D).

I didn't think she looked good standing still, either  :giggle2: 

:D .. but .. I can't agree with you there. If I was Victoria .. apart from riding my bike obviously .. I'd stand still all the time to devastating effect :D

She just looked embarrassed and self-conscious all the time - is that what you mean by devastating?  :giggle2:

I can't believe you two have managed to go off topic from only the third post - this is a 2013 thread, not 2012. Stop living in the past! :giggle2:

I'm not bowled over by the celebs this year, but on the other hand, there's also only one who annoys me and I'd quite to go as early as possible (at least he won't be on It Takes Two talking fashion every week, but the longer he stays in, the more ITT interviews he will be on so the early he goes, the better  :lol:).  So, I'm reserving judgement for the moment, but I think it's got potential.

Tbh, looking at the line-up, if Rachel wasn't on it I doubt I'd bother with it at all until the latter stages.  But then I've seen her run (it was like watching Big Bird run down Sesame Street  :giggle2:  ) so I doubt she'll be around for long, which means I have to watch the early shows  :doh:  :D

I can't believe you two have managed to go off topic from only the third post - this is a 2013 thread, not 2012. Stop living in the past! :giggle2:

Oops! :blush2:sorry Claire (but surely you already knew my capabilities re off topicness? :D). Anyway, in our defence, it hasn't properly started yet so we're just filling time :D 

Tbh, looking at the line-up, if Rachel wasn't on it I doubt I'd bother with it at all until the latter stages. But then I've seen her run (it was like watching Big Bird run down Sesame Street :giggle2: ) so I doubt she'll be around for long, which means I have to watch the early shows :doh::D

Even if she's bad (which I don't think she will be .. though I haven't seen her run :D) I think her popularity will keep her in for a while so you should be okay. I would have put Sophie down as being your type? (I'm basing this on Ms Beckinsale :D) .. and isn't Abbey every man's type? :D I remember she was quite engaging when she was on 'Hell's Kitchen'.

I like the sound (and the look) of the rugby player .. I hope he'll be more of a Mark Ramprakash (who I know was a cricketer) and less of a Gavin Henson :D (I'm still living in the past .. as far as Ramps is concerned .. I'd be happy to stay in the past forever :D)

We can't base this on their dancing cos we haven't seen it yet so I'm taking the shallow route in :D .. a lot will depend on who they're hooked up with (I wonder who Pasha will get? :blush2: .. he is due a dud really.)

I would have put Sophie down as being your type? (I'm basing this on Ms Beckinsale :D) .. and isn't Abbey every man's type? :D I remember she was quite engaging when she was on 'Hell's Kitchen'.

Nah, don't like either of them  :smile:   And comparing Sophie to Kate  :o   How very dare you! :theboss:  :D

• 3 weeks later...

Recorded the show on Friday and just watched it today [there is more on tv tonight at 7pm.] Thought they were all amazingly good for the first dance, though shame that Susanah Reid did the cartwheel landing wrong at the end, her performance was otherwise great.I never thought this show would be 'for me' but got sucked into it  about 3 years ago, and love it [except for the presence of Bruce Forsyth.] The spray tans, the dresses, the white teeth!

I think it's safe to say that I won't be voting for Rachel - she's bloody awful!  :doh::lol:

Don't know how they managed to score Mrs Crouch so highly last night, she forgot half the routine.  They do have their favourites :rolleyes:

I'm just watching it back again - biggest surprise so far this year is Deborah, who is not technically perfect, but she just enjoys it so much and she makes me smile with her dances. Natalie is great, but I fear that she's TOO good for the public, and there's already the stories about her previous dance training (as Denise van Outen got last year). I was impressed by Ashley's American Smooth considering the lost time he must have had this week, and much better than his cha cha last week.

Stand out had to be Sophie's Charleston - my favourite Charleston ever by miles! It's not a dance I like, but Brendan gave us a very traditional feeling routine, and Sophie just got it. If they could just get the entrance and exit of the lifts a bit cleaner, I could see this getting 10s if they were to dance it again.

I think it's safe to say that I won't be voting for Rachel - she's bloody awful!  :doh::lol:

Oh I didn't think she was that bad .. I was expecting worse :D That salsa was as good as Victoria's and she had benefitted from quite a bit of practice by then. She looks a bit green .. but I think there could be improvement :) Don't give up on her :D

Don't know how they managed to score Mrs Crouch so highly last night, she forgot half the routine.  They do have their favourites :rolleyes:

Again I thought it was a fairly good week two effort .. she was obviously annoyed at messing up a bit but what she did I thought she did well (she danced all the right steps .. but not necessarily in the right order :D)

I'm just watching it back again - biggest surprise so far this year is Deborah, who is not technically perfect, but she just enjoys it so much and she makes me smile with her dances.

Great to see her enjoying it and giving it some attitude :D

Natalie is great, but I fear that she's TOO good for the public, and there's already the stories about her previous dance training (as Denise van Outen got last year).

A very beautiful waltz .. and, though the public were a bit anti, Denise made it to the final last year and gained some ground towards the end so possibly this will happen to Natalie .. and I really do think it had more to do with Denise's personality than her previous experience as it didn't stand in Kara's way etc .. plus there was the 'James Jordan factor'  :D .. I think Artem is probably more popular. I hope Natalie can go far because she's beautiful to watch.

I was impressed by Ashley's American Smooth considering the lost time he must have had this week, and much better than his cha cha last week.

Not a bad effort at all (and very easy on the eye :D) Those catsuits will probably stay in the wardrobe for a while ;)

Stand out had to be Sophie's Charleston - my favourite Charleston ever by miles! It's not a dance I like, but Brendan gave us a very traditional feeling routine, and Sophie just got it. If they could just get the entrance and exit of the lifts a bit cleaner, I could see this getting 10s if they were to dance it again.

I think you could be right but it was very clumsy in the lifts which .. as they were quite challenging .. was only to be expected in week two. She was great at everything else though :)

I loathe and detest Julien :mad: .. I didn't think it was possibly to dislike him more than I already did .. but he has surpassed himself :D

Oh I didn't think she was that bad .. I was expecting worse :D That salsa was as good as Victoria's and she had benefitted from quite a bit of practice by then. She looks a bit green .. but I think there could be improvement :) Don't give up on her :D

Oh I won't, but Pasta had better whip her into shape pretty quick :giggle2: 

Again I thought it was a fairly good week two effort .. she was obviously annoyed at messing up a bit but what she did I thought she did well (she danced all the right steps .. but not necessarily in the right order :D)

Perhaps, but I think if any of the 'lesser' celebs had forgotten the routine like that they would have given them a much harder time :shrug:

Agree about Julien.  I was so annoyed at the way he whooped and hollered in front of Tony Jacklin when he won the dance off, and then strode off without even shaking hands :irked:

Oh I won't, but Pasta had better whip her into shape pretty quick :giggle2: 

Perhaps, but I think if any of the 'lesser' celebs had forgotten the routine like that they would have given them a much harder time :shrug:

Agree about Julien.  I was so annoyed at the way he whooped and hollered in front of Tony Jacklin when he won the dance off, and then strode off without even shaking hands :irked:

yes, think we all noticed that!However Julien needn't whoop because he will be out next week for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Well Rachel's not getting any better - in fact, she's getting worse (which I didn't think possible :doh:  :lol: ).  Amazed she wasn't in the bottom two and out last night :o  Stick to the Gadget Show and Countdown!  At least she doesn't have to move then  :giggle2:  

Poor Dragonlady.  Think Robin's stupid choreography cost her dear.  I'm with Len (for once!) on this one - waaay too much faffing around in some of the routines at the moment. 

I'm not sure it's Robin's fault, I think it's the producers who force this rubbish on them.  The same way that there is no way Ashley should have been dancing the jive in daps, he should be wearing proper dance shoes, but as Ola pointed out, it wasn't her choice.  I think all the props are foisted on the couples as the producers think it adds to the entertainment factor, when in reality, it's just faffing around and annoying.  

As Len has always said, it should be maximum of 8 bars intro, then into the dance proper, particularly in ballroom, it should be straight into hold and remain in hold, until at least the last 8 bars.  There's way too much intro on some songs, and far too much coming in and out of hold on the ballroom dances.

I think all the props are foisted on the couples as the producers think it adds to the entertainment factor, when in reality, it's just faffing around and annoying.  

That's interesting and, as you say, annoying.  Even if they did that, though, wouldn't Robin still have decided how to incorporate it into the routine?

Yes, he probably did, so he does share some of the blame I guess, and he maybe could have put less in and choreographed it differently, but any *puts on best Len voice* "messin' around" is still annoying and takes away from the dancing as far as I'm concerned, and I think that's down to the producers wanting props to be included.