Sad / Soulful Songs

muggle not

List your favorite  sad / soulful (for want of a better word) song. A song that conveys sadness or soulfulness. One of my favorite soulful songs is the Hank Williams song....I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry. There are many sad/soulful songs that I can think of but IMHO, there is none better.

http://youtu.be/WkztDzpTHKA

The first version is better but if it doesn't load, try this version

Edited by muggle not

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tell it like it is by aaron neville is as soulful as they come,too close to heaven by the waterboys an epic sad/soulful song and johnny cash's version of hurt they don't come sadder than that imo

Both are great songs. This though is my second favorite after the Hank Williams song of I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry. There are many versions of The Long Black Veil but I like the original by Lefty Frizzell the best. It makes the hair on my arms stand on end. :smile:

Edited by muggle not

• 5 weeks later...

I think that Everybody's Talkin' At Me [theme from Midnight Cowboy] sung by Kriss Kristophersson? is a very soulful song

Me too .. it's beautiful but it's Harry Nilsson isn't it? .. or does Kris do a cover?

Harry's Without You is also very sad and soulful but I don't like Mariah's cover .. it's better sung simply, imo.

Sittin' In The Dock Of The Bay by Otis Reading.

Brilliant song .. and you can brush up on your whistling at the same time :D

Oh dear, I'm not sure that I should mention that my sad song is How Soon is Now? by The Smiths. It's so sad to listen the lyrics, but the music is so beautiful. The whole listening experience is wonderfully bittersweet. I am suddenly back to teenage angst.... :cry:

Oh dear, I'm not sure that I should mention that my sad song is How Soon is Now? by The Smiths. It's so sad to listen the lyrics, but the music is so beautiful. The whole listening experience is wonderfully bittersweet. I am suddenly back to teenage angst.... :cry:

All views are welcome here and that's a very good song :) Listening to The Smiths is always bittersweet .. the other day I heard Last Night I Dreamt that Somebody Loved Me :cry2: 

All views are welcome here and that's a very good song :) Listening to The Smiths is always bittersweet .. the other day I heard Last Night I

Dreamt that Somebody Loved Me :cry2: 

Thanks, poppyshake  :smile: I am not alone! 

I have another soulful song thought - Northern Sky by Nick Drake. Now that is a song that halts me in my tracks.