Where Do You Buy Books?

UnderTheDome40

Just a question which i figured also isn't worth opening a thread over. Where do you guys normally buy your books? I go to Barnes and Noble's store or website but lately started with Amazon.com because I love their website. IMHO it's actually better than B&N for a couple of reasons. Check out the sites for books, both are great but like I said, i prefer Amazon.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/books-bestselling-books/379003057/

http://www.amazon.com/books-used-books-textbooks/b/ref=topnav_storetab_b?ie=UTF8&node=283155

Edited by UnderTheDome40

I buy most of my books from charity shops, play or discount shops or supermarkets. Amazon has a postage charge of £2.80 per book and they are sometimes cheaper on play. I do also have a list of preferred suppliers even if they cost a bit more, because they send books in good time.

Edited by dex

I don't buy ebooks; I much prefer the real thing. ;)

Bricks and Mortar

I love Dymocks, which is an Australian book retailer. Their prices are rather expensive (compared to all of the other places I've mentioned below), but I like to treat myself occasionally, and I often receive gift vouchers for them. Also, the staff always seem to be really friendly, especially at my little local shop, which is nice.

I love secondhand bookshops because you never know what gems you may find there. I particularly love exploring new (to me) shops, and I love supporting small, local businesses.

Generally, though, most of my purchases are made from Lifeline's twice-yearly bookfair (which I go to only once per year, usually). The books are dirt cheap and generally in excellent (often as-new) condition. The best thing about it is that all proceeds go to a charity that helps people suffering from depression. :)

I'm very fond of the Book Depository because it has very cheap prices compared to the exorbitantly high prices in Australia, and they have free postage (and fast postage, considering the distance!)

I also occasionally use an Australian online shop called Booktopia, but really only when they have books are on sale and/or offer free postage.

Most of my books I buy from Amazon (paperbooks from .co.uk, ebooks (Kindle) from .com), book fairs (het Boekenfestijn) or the local charity shop (Terre des Hommes). When I'm in the UK (on holidays), I sometimes go to WHSmith, The Works, Waterstone's and buy books there. On rare occasion I buy books from other online sites or other book shops.

There is really not a lot of selection around my town. I usually buy that Mayersche, which is a big chain store. At least they have a few English titles there.

There's also an independent shop, but I'm not too found of them anymore, since they added a big book club section to the store and also always expended on their selection of expensive pens and decor articles, effectively shrinking the space they have for actual books.

I also often frequent a station bookstore which happens to be on my way to work. They do have quite a few English books too, as well as a nice selection of fantasy novels.

But mostly I buy at Amazon, since I can get all my original English titles there for about half of what I have to play in B&M stores.

• 1 month later...

I purchase books from various places due to low income, I do have a Kindle which allows me a lot of reading material for free which is one source. Secondly I do purchase the odd book from Amazon as they can be cheap especially the market place area. Also when I am flush I do by from independent book stores as they need the income and nothing beats looking at books on the shelves, like the good old LP days. Finally I do get quite a few from charity shops and secondhand stores.

Sernicki

I buy books from all over the place. There is a really cute secondhand bookstore near my house, but I only spend three months of the year there. I have bought quite a few books from Barnes and Noble both online and in the store. I've also gotten a few from Amazon because there are usually some good used books.

I don't buy many books, mostly get them from the library.  When I do it's nearly always second hand, charity shops mostly.  The second hand shops here are expensive ($10 for a book that's just about falling apart  :o )  and new books are even worse.  I have bought a couple of books for Christmas presents off Book Depository.  They were about 1/4 of the price that book shops here charge.

I used to buy a lot from charityshops and secondhand bookshops, but I've tried cutting down book buying this year, so lately the ones I've purchased have come from Book Depository and Adlibris (the latter is a Nordic countries only bookshop).

I buy from book depository for the same reasons Kylie does. Store wise I visit a department store called. Big W that has books among other things, and op shops. Oh and a book barn that sells pre loved books, but it only runs every friday, saturday and sunday for four hours at a time.

Edited by Devi

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...