Looking for Suggestions on New Thrillers/Mysteries

shufly

Hi all, I'm a newbie here but an avid reader.  I think I have read everything by Sandra Brown, Lisa Jackson, Michael Connelly, John Grisham, JD Nixon, most of Janet Evanavich, James Patterson and Stuart Woods.  I've read quite of few of Mary Higgins Clark also but find hers are sort of hit and miss.  They're either absolutely AWESOME or a big let down.  And if you haven't read Daddy's Gone A Hunting by her, it is probably her best - close tie to Two Little Girls in Blue.  Anyway, I'm trying to find some different authors that are along the lines of the ones I just named.  Nothing too graphic.  I like a good mystery where just when you think you know what is going to happen, you are hit with a surprise twist or where the story doesn't seem to really tie together until the very end and then it's a jaw dropper - MHC did just that in Daddy's Gone a Hunting.  JD Nixon and Janet Evanavich dont' write like that but I do enjoy their books.  Any suggestions as I hate to pay for an ebook only to end up putting it down or be disappointed.  Thanks for any help. 

Hi Librarylizzi, thanks for the reminder of Lisa Gardner.  I have read several of her books.  I loved The Neighbor and I've also read The Perfect Husband, Catch Me, Love You More and The Other Daughter.  Those are the ones I can remember.  I stopped reading her books when I got one that was about some abused children.  I didn't make it very far into the book and don't remember the name of it, but it was about a woman that worked with kids that had been abused and were nonverbal if I remember correctly.  I just can't read about abused kids or animals.  What other books would you recommend from her?  I see you're reading Daddy's Gone A Hunting.  AWESOME BOOK!  Best one I've read in quite a while.  Can't wait to hear what you think of it.

The one you gave up on was quite harrowing but tied in with the Neighbour I struggle with that subject too since I had my son years ago . I cant recommend any particularly as i read them all as they come along like I do with all my authors. I will let you know about the one I am reading now :)

• 5 weeks later...

I would recommend Kate Atkinson's The Case Histories, for sure :)

I think you might like Linwood Barclay's books, too. Too Close to Home for starters, and No Time for Goodbye.

Minette Walters has great novels, if you're into that type of books... Maybe you could try Dark Room or The Ice House.

Jeffery Deaver is my personal favorite. I don't think he's books are too gory, either...? They are pretty fast paced, at times, and I promise you, there are twists you didn't see coming :) Go with the Lincoln Rhyme books. The first one is The Bone Collector, and the next one is The Coffin Dancer.

(I would also recommend Karin Slaughter but her books may be a bit too graphic for you....?)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There is another great series of crime books based in Scotland which I find similar to the Rebus series written by James Oswald.  The first book in the series is called Natural Causes, I read that one then had to get all of the following books as I was completely hooked.