Biopics (Biographical Films)

Kylie

What biopics have you enjoyed (and not enjoyed)? Do you think these types of movies stay true to the person/people they portray, or do they exaggerate them for cinematic effect?

I'm particularly interested in watching biopics of authors, so please pass on any recommendations if you have them!

I have the following biopics lined up to watch (summaries from IMDB):

Frost/Nixon (2008)
A dramatic retelling of the post-Watergate television interviews between British talk-show host David Frost and former president Richard Nixon.

The Gathering Storm (2002)
A love story offering an intimate look inside the marriage of Winston and Clementine Churchill during a particularly troubled, though little-known, moment in their lives.

Heavenly Creatures (1994)
Based on the true story of Juliet Hulme and Pauline Parker, two close friends who share a love of fantasy and literature, who conspire to kill Pauline's mother when she tries to end the girls' intense and obsessive relationship.

Hitchcock (2012)
A love story between influential filmmaker Alfred Hitchcock and wife Alma Reville during the filming of Psycho in 1959.

Howl (2010)

As Allen Ginsberg talks about his life and art, his most famous poem is illustrated in animation while the obscenity trial of the work is dramatized.

J Edgar (2011)
J. Edgar Hoover, powerful head of the FBI for nearly 50 years, looks back on his professional and personal life.

Julie & Julia (2009)
Julia Child's story of her start in the cooking profession is intertwined with blogger Julie Powell's 2002 challenge to cook all the recipes in Child's first book.

Lincoln (2012)
As the Civil War continues to rage, America's president struggles with continuing carnage on the battlefield and as he fights with many inside his own cabinet on the decision to emancipate the slaves.

Malcolm X (1992)
The biopic of the controversial and influential Black Nationalist leader.

I'm also looking forward to seeing:

Jobs (2013)

The story of Steve Jobs' ascension from college dropout into one of the most revered creative entrepreneurs of the 20th century.

I loved ....

Out of Africa (1985) the story of authoress Karen Blixen.

Shadowlands (1985) the story of CS Lewis's love affair with Joy Davidman. Actually liked this one with Joss Ackland and Claire Bloom the best.

An Angel At My Table (1990) based on NZ author Janet Frame.

Immortal Beloved (1994) about Beethoven's secret love.

Shine (1996) about Australian pianist David Helfgott.

The Motorcycle Diaries (2004) about Che Guevara's trip round South America in his early 20's.

Capote (2005) about Truman Capote's research into the writing of his book 'In Cold Blood'.

The World's Fastest Indian (2005) the story of NZer Burt Munro's homebuilt Indian motorbike and his world record for under 1000cc at Bonneville in 1967 (still held today). He was 68 and his bike was 47 years old. Played admirably by Anthony Hopkins :D

Really enjoyed Heavenly Creatures, too Kylie (well enjoyed probably isn't quite the word, but it was fascinating), also Julie and Julia and am looking forward to seeing Lincoln.

Kylie another one you might like, if you can get hold of it, is Bliss (2011) It was a TV movie and is about Katherine Mansfield when she leaves NZ at 19 for England and her subsequent adventures. Didn't realise she led such a Bohemian life, which was cut short far too soon.

Edited by poppy

@Kylie, the only one on your list I've seen is J Edgar....I have to tell you, DiCaprio is scarily like the real J Edgar H.  We liked it a lot.

@poppy...OMG, I saw Shadowlands when it came out, and cried like a baby.  It was fantastic.

Oh, must add that The Aviator was excellent, bio of Howard Hughes.....again, diCaprio nailed the role!  Cate Blanchette was very good as Katharine Hepburn too. 

Edited by pontalba

@poppy...OMG, I saw Shadowlands when it came out, and cried like a baby.  It was fantastic.

Oh I know! The same. :cray:  But that movie has left me with a lifelong fascination with CS Lewis and I've read every biography about him that I can lay my hands on.

Oh, must add that The Aviator was excellent, bio of Howard Hughes.....again, diCaprio nailed the role! 

I KNEW I'd missed one, it crossed my mind and then disappeared into the black hole of my memory banks :doh: Loved The Aviator which encouraged me to read a biography about Hughes .....he wasn't a very nice man.

Oh I know! The same. :cray:  But that movie has left me with a lifelong fascination with CS Lewis and I've read every biography about him that I can lay my hands on.

I KNEW I'd missed one, it crossed my mind and then disappeared into the black hole of my memory banks :doh: Loved The Aviator which encouraged me to read a biography about Hughes .....he wasn't a very nice man.

Honestly, di Caprio is turning into, or really has turned into a fascinating actor.  I don't find him attractive, but he immerses himself into a role completely.  In The Aviator, he had the nervous tics down pat!  And the scenes of di Caprio as Hughes in the Washington DC government meetings were spookily like Hughes!

Re the black hole.............don't feel like the Lone Ranger.. :roll:  :D

Ooh, thanks Pont and Poppy. Lots of movies to add to my list. :) I'm sure I've seen Capote, and I think I enjoyed it, but I can't remember a lot of it for some reason. I must watch it again.

I really loved Walk the Line, the biopic of Johnny Cash.

ETA: Pont, I've long admired di Caprio (since I saw him in What's Eating Gilbert Grape?), but I never felt he was rated highly enough. I think that's finally changing now, which is great!

Honestly, di Caprio is turning into, or really has turned into a fascinating actor.  I don't find him attractive, but he immerses himself into a role completely.  In The Aviator, he had the nervous tics down pat!  And the scenes of di Caprio as Hughes in the Washington DC government meetings were spookily like Hughes!

I agree

I agree about DiCaprio, he's VERY talented. He's one of those actors who just disappear into the role, as you say. Another one is Meryl Streep. You hardly end up recognising them. I thought he was great in Inglourious Basterds too (their spelling :D ) Can't wait to see him in The Great Gatsby. I nearly got put off him and Kate Winslet after watching Titanic,  but they have both amply redeemed themselves since, in my eyes :D

I agree about DiCaprio, he's VERY talented. He's one of those actors who just disappear into the role, as you say. Another one is Meryl Streep. You hardly end up recognising them. I thought he was great in Inglourious Basterds too (their spelling :D ) Can't wait to see him in The Great Gatsby. I nearly got put off him and Kate Winslet after watching Titanic,  but they have both amply redeemed themselves since, in my eyes :D

Oh, you've got to see The Great Gatsby!!  Everyone in it is so spot on for their roles.  I read TGG just before seeing the film, so it was fresh in my mind.  The party scenes are beyond wonderful.  Layers upon layers of action.  The film couches it in a slightly different manner, but it works well.  And watch the opening.  The frame in the beginning, goes from grey and black and white to a beautiful gold and black.  Very dramatic.  And at the end, it reverses back to the grey, black and white. 

I can't remember if I've already said this elsewhere, but I love the moment that Gatsby first makes an appearance. :)

Yes, and they certainly kept us waiting!  Made it all the more powerful. :)

I loved ....

Out of Africa (1985) the story of authoress Karen Blixen.

Shadowlands (1985) the story of CS Lewis's love affair with Joy Davidman. Actually liked this one with Joss Ackland and Claire Bloom the best.

Really enjoyed Heavenly Creatures, too Kylie (well enjoyed probably isn't quite the word, but it was fascinating), also Julie and Julia and am looking forward to seeing Lincoln.

Me too .. all those are fantastic. Heavenly Creatures is particularly engrossing and just brilliantly filmed by Peter Jackson. I enjoyed Finding Neverland too (though not sure how authentic it is).

The Audrey Hepburn Story is awful .. best avoided at all costs. On the other hand Iris is just marvellous .. I cried buckets (ditto The Elephant Man) and Ray is quite outstanding. I still haven't seen Wilde .. though I really want to.

Edited by poppyshake

I haven't seen any of the ones mentioned in this topic, other than Julia & Julia. I didn't know much about these people previous to this film, so I can only say that for someone who doesn't know much about them, the film was quite well done. I really liked it. The actors played their parts quite well I thought. The film has actually made me more interested in looking up these two Julias.

I loved ....

Out of Africa (1985) the story of authoress Karen Blixen. Loved It!

Shadowlands (1985) the story of CS Lewis's love affair with Joy Davidman. Have only seen the Anthony Hopkins one, but would love to see the one with Joss Ackland and Claire Bloom.

The World's Fastest Indian (2005) the story of NZer Burt Munro's homebuilt Indian motorbike and his world record for under 1000cc at Bonneville in 1967 (still held today). He was 68 and his bike was 47 years old. Played admirably by Anthony Hopkins :D This is such a good film, well worth watching - great understated acting that packs such a punch.

Immortal Beloved (1994) about Beethoven's secret love. I have this one on my dvd TBV pile (To Be Viewed).

This is the first time I've heard of TBV (to be viewed), I'll have to keep it in mind!

I have mountains /shelves / flat surfaces for books, notebooks, dvds, cds and tea towels, and pretty much anything else that one has more than 3 of! :giggle2:  :blush2:

I have mountains /shelves / flat surfaces for books, notebooks, dvds, cds and tea towels, and pretty much anything else that one has more than 3 of! :giggle2:  :blush2:

Can I just add one more to your TBV list Chrissy? I highly recommend Shine. David Helfgott, an Australian, was considered a child prodigy on the piano and studied to be a concert pianist. In his early 20's he began to show symptoms of schizoaffective disorder and ended up institutionalised for years. He later married a very supportive woman and still tours today. The adult David is played by Geoffrey Rush, who I think is a marvellous actor. One of my all time favourite movies.

This is an excerpt from the film