What is most likely to draw you to a book?

Michelle

What's most likely to draw you to a book?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What's most likely to draw you to a book?

• The cover
    • The blurb
    • Receiving a book award
    • Being on offer in a shop
    • Recomendation by someone you know
    • A review on amazon or similar
    • A review on Goodreads or similar
    • A review or recommendation on BCF
    • All of the above
    • Something else

I'm surprised it doesn't have Summary on the poll. That's how I get very easily manipulated into desperately wanting to try out a book, from reading the summary. Summary's always make novels sound great, i think they have their very own summary-designing experts who have it down to a science how to pull a reader in after viewing it.. lol. Also, in a few cases like "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" or "The Hunger Games" it was the film that made me fall hard for it and i'd have to go get the book afterward.

It does say blurb which is a sort of summary.

Well, you aren't disappointed if it is a bum ending? And you know if everyone lives happily ever after? You also know if you need to look for the second book in the series :P (and I have read a few that have ended on a cliff hanger and I then have to go and search for the second one in the series that I didn't know it was a part of! lol) I guess it depends on why you are looking and what you are looking for in a book.

Edited by Vimes

I'm surprised it doesn't have Summary on the poll. That's how I get very easily manipulated into desperately wanting to try out a book, from reading the summary. Summary's always make novels sound great, i think they have their very own summary-designing experts who have it down to a science how to pull a reader in after viewing it.. lol. Also, in a few cases like "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" or "The Hunger Games" it was the film that made me fall hard for it and i'd have to go get the book afterward.

This might be a stupid question, but isn't blurb the same as summary, in a way. As well as synopsis?

I voted for the cover and also if it has received an award . If it says that on the front, I'm convinced to read it .

The "Other" that I voted for is the Title. Sometimes if a book has a really unusual or catchy title, I'll also choose it for that .

* I may be in the minority ,but I sometimes will just buy a pile of books with no clue what they are about , until I bring them home and look at them. Kinda like surprising myself  --- sometimes it's a good surprise, others , not so much .

:giggle2:  Love it Julie!

Well, you aren't disappointed if it is a bum ending? And you know if everyone lives happily ever after? You also know if you need to look for the second book in the series :P (and I have read a few that have ended on a cliff hanger and I then have to go and search for the second one in the series that I didn't know it was a part of! lol) I guess it depends on why you are looking and what you are looking for in a book.

At one time I'd read the last page, and if it didn't make sense, I'd back up a page or two, or three.  Finally I realized that, for me at least, if I didn't know the back story, IOW, the middle of the story, the end didn't make sense.  And to answer your question.  Define a "bum ending".  It's all part of the story, if we don't agree with the ending, does it matter?  

This might be a stupid question, but isn't blurb the same as summary, in a way. As well as synopsis?

I use the terms interchangeably.  Whether it's technically correct or not. heh

I use the terms interchangeably.  Whether it's technically correct or not. heh

Me, too, that's why I asked :lol: In Finnish I would just say 'takakansi' which means the 'back cover' and have no problems! That's where the blurb/summary/synopsis is.

Edit: Oh, I only just noticed, Kreader already made the same point :)

Edit2: I mean I know what the difference is between blurb and synopsis, but what I meant was that they are both basically information about the book.

Edited by frankie

A "Bum ending" to me means an ending that is a total let down. Sometimes the author builds the suspense and then says oh dear I have to end this book now and within ten pages everything is finished. No proper ending or a bum ending :)

Edited by Vimes

That often happens with polls, I'm afraid, you think of other options after. At least I always add 'other'. :)

You did great with the Polls. Besides, you did add summary (i THINK), I just didn't know blurb meant the same as summary. I even looked up what it was and still didn't understand that it could mean the same. "author advertising his book". Not to mention, I didn't know you made the poll yourself so now i feel rude but don't worry, i didn't mean it like that. I was just saying i was surprised not to see it, that's my #1 thing that gets me to read a book. This thread was interesting, i'm glad you made it.

Edited by UnderTheDome40

• 2 months later...

For me, it is usually the blurb and recommendations and reviews. Of course, everyone has different tastes, and there are many books that have come highly recommended which I didn't get along with at all. There have also been books that I've really loved but not many other people feel the same way. Still, I find recommendations and reviews give a pretty good idea about whether the book is one I'll like. Covers also catch my eye - when I'm at a bookstore or in a library. With Kindle books, covers don't really make much difference. I do like a pretty, eye-catching, colorful cover - if it stands out, then at least I'll grab it off the shelf to read the blurb.

I like the blurb if I am shopping at a book store. But the first thing that catches my eye is the cover of the book. If I like the cover, I will read the blurb. If the blurb interests me, I find it hard to leave the book at the store although I may never read it or be interested in it. It's a big problem :D

If a friend of mine recommends a book, I will usually check it out. Especially because there are quite a few of my friends that aren't avid readers so if they genuinely liked a book, I have faith that I will enjoy it. 

I have also looked into some books recommended by the people in this website and the lists that they have made. I started to read and buy John Green books, which I love, because of people on BCF recommending them. I saw someone mention something about Paper Towns and I absolutely loved reading that book.