Can you read with background noise (tv or people talking for example)?

Dabrowski

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer it to be quiet but there are some noises I am happy to have in the background, e.g. my husband playing his guitar (but not the organ). Like muggle not, I'm happy with nature's noises. The sound of birds singing is blissful, but the TV is aggravating and distracting.

Silence is golden - anyone remember that old song?

I can´t read with noise, in my home I read in my room with everythig off and if there are neighbours or my parents talking loudly I can´t concentrate.

I also read in buses but if there are people talkling loudly I stop reading because I'm not focused.

It's a pity because I lost a lot of spare moments that I can read because of the surroinding noise.

I tend to be OK with most background noise.  I just focus on the book and my mind blocks out the noise.  I must admit though, it's becoming harder to do that the older I get, especially with more involved works.... :) 

I used to be able to read through anything. Not now!  I still enjoy reading with music in the background - preferably instrumental classic, although can get away with choral (not rock/pop!).  Otherwise, silence.  I use my phone for music to block out conversations on the train etc.  I find speech utterly impossible to read through, to the extent that my OH and I now largely have different bedtimes, as she's a Radio 4 fanatic.  Earplugs work sufficently well too!

Edited by willoyd

• 1 month later...

I do love reading a proper book but also love my kindle as some one else said it doesent matter if it is dark you can still read away.  This helps if I wake up during the night and I don't disturb my husband with putting the light on. 

I can usually read through anything the tv being on or music as long as it isn't lively music then I just want to dance.  The worst is when someone says can I ask you something oh are you reading?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...