Can you read with background noise (tv or people talking for example)?

Dabrowski

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say I do concentrate more on a book when it is quiet, like in bed at night. Occasionally I read with other distractions, but it has to be a book that I am engrossed in. Hubby can read with the telly on etc  but I just get annoyed. Maybe quiet music in the background would be the only background noise.

If I needed complete silence to read it, I'd never read again! I live on a busy road and near a motorway, so there is always traffic noise, and our house if fairly open plan, so while I'm sat in the living room now, I can hear the sound of OH cooking in the kitchen, as well as the occasional barking of the dogs next door, and later this evening, I will probably hear my next door neighbours television. I also often read at work during my lunch break and in coffee shops and cafes, so I've learned to read with background noise. That said, if it's too distracting, I will put my earphones in and listen to music - usually classical or jazz, something instrumental as someone singing would definitely be too much of a distraction - but I can read while OH is watching the television, as long as it's not too loud (and at the moment, it's usually cricket, so it's fairly gentle as a background noise).

It depends how interesting the background noise is. If it's a TV show or music that I'm not interested in then I can easily tune it out. However, if it's something that keeps catching my attention, then I really need to focus on one or the other.

I can read through everything. I read on the train, bus, while playing a PC game on the side, while people are talking, hearing music etc. I block out everything else if a book is any good.

Same here.  I grew up as one of four children and we were each a year apart in age.  There was no such thing as a quiet place.  The family would even joke about how I became deaf and blind to everything else but the book when I read.  I do recall eventually looking up to find someone had been talking to me, sometimes shouting and I hadn't noticed :readingtwo:  :lol:

I find it very difficult, although it depends on the book. One of the things though that I was very glad about when I started the job I am in now was the fact there is no TV in the staff room - bliss !   

I used to be able to tune out any background noise and be completely absorbed in my reading, but I have found that since getting a bit older I need  peace and quiet so I can concentrate.   :blush2:     

For me It either has to be dead quiet or listening to music. Talking just interferes as for me it operates on the same level as reading.

I prefer it if it's as silent as possible. I can't read with too much stuff going on in the background. I often use noise cancelling headphones or my Ipod if necessary otherwise I wouldn't get anything done and would just be very tired. The reason for this is that I have a disability, I can't tune out anything and hear it all (see my Members' Thread for more information). It's extremely tiring. 

Oh my Goodness, i can't believe i found this thread! Ha ha ha this is SO my life, right here. Lets just say, when it comes to reading, my little brother is the black plague. I love him to death but he is SO disturbing. No, i hate reading if it's not decently quiet but I think i'm gonna start going to libraries just to read because this problem of mine has been happening way to often lately.

Edited by UnderTheDome40

Complete silence whilst reading is heavenly. With a 6-month-old daughter I find that hard to come by these days, unless I stay awake late into the night. I have had no choice but to try to adapt to the noise around me. I find it harder to process what I'm reading when there's background noise, and if there's someone within earshot talking then I cannot concentrate at all!

I can read only if there's a lot of noise, I know it's strange but it's been like this since my childhood: when I was 7 or so we moved in a very noisy flat with a lot of wonderful very noisy neighbours. Our home was a sort of open space where everyone could come and go whenever they wanted. I loved that!! I loved the chats, the laughs, the fact that my kitchen was a meeting point for so many different people with many different stories to tell. But I had to study and do my homeworks in any case. So I learnt how to concentrate in the noise. And I still do it. When I'm in my room I have my mp3 player in my ears if I can't have any other kind of voice or loud sound in the background. But I love reading in the market square on saturday morning when hundreds of people walk by with their shopping and their businnes.

• 3 weeks later...

NO, I can't concentrate at all if there is any noise , even in a cafe or park the conversations of others filters in to me! I like a really quiet room, the study or conservatory, and to be on my own, but if OH is reading book or newspaper or doing crossword then that's ok.

I find that I can't read in a room with the TV on. It's just too distracting and so find myself watching that instead of reading - no matter how irritating the programme! The radio is fine, and otherwise noisy envionments don't usually bother me. It always amazes me though, how many people will try to strike up a conversation with me when I'm reading! My wife is particularily guilty of this, so I save a special withering look over the top of my book/kindle especially for her. Makes no difference though!

I sometimes can. It depends on what the backround noise is. If I am alone and it is just the TV then that's okay. Otherwise I prefer to read where it is relatively quiet. Also, as long as no one bothers  me . I really hate it when someone is talking to me and asking questions etc. It gets really frustrating that they don't get the hint that I am trying to concentrate on my book and talking is very distracting!!! :readingtwo: