I'm a Crime fiction addict but like me do you read in betweens?

Just wondering if I'm alone in this, I love really gory, psychological, profiler, serial killer books but sometimes when I finish one I have to read what I call an inbetween. If it's been quite gruesome i will go for a chick lit or somehing light, before I once agin foray into the darkside. Anyone else like that or am I alone? ..........

I like very much how you left the last line of that first post. No, definitely not all alone on this (and in danger of the light going out with an axe wielding serial killer on the loose).

It is very much heavy and light for me when I remember to go light. On occasion, a complete change of direction from one work to the next is a great thing to do. Now who turned out the lights? Come on, it’s not funny any more…….  

Only one book has made me get up and check the back doors in the night that was Tana French "Broken Harbour", I know it's mad I can read the most god awful things human beings can do to each other but can't watch scary films. So it's with a little sigh I then pick up Debbie Macomber or some such after reading 400 pages of dismemberment and torture! My husband often wonders why I don't get nightmares,I wonder if it's because I have a dark soul lol

• 2 months later...

I love a good crime thriller. I'm more into the suspense than the gory descriptive stuff.

But, like you, once I've read a particularly heavy crime thriller, I'll turn to something light to redress the balance.

I usually go for something by Nick Spalding (Love From Both Sides is laugh out loud funny) or Tom Sharpe.

Then its quickly back to sticking my nose in the next crime thriller.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there

I try and vary what kind of book I read.  It changes between crime thrillers, sci fi fantasy, horror and occasionally a "Family Saga"

I must confess though I enjoy it best when having a supernatural vampire fest, probably because I have read something else in between  :smile:

My fascination with vampire and werewolves worries me sometime  :giggle2:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I'm surprised people liked Broken Harbour. I suppose the ending was shocking, but it had been so dragged out it lost a lot of momentum. Wordiness can really kill a good story.

Anyway, I do vary things a little with the occasional fantasy or (non-European) historic fiction, some Bill Bryson or Charles Dickens...

But I'm not ashamed of being addicted to suspense, which is not the same as indulgent gore. Not commenting on anyone's preferences,

but I'm convinced that a skillful writer doesn't need gore to scare the reader.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I do read mostly crime fiction. Not the twisted kind with grusome bloody scenes, but crime fiction nonetheless. I don't need to read another genre to keep sane, but I tend to switch between crime fiction and classics a lot. Those are the main 2 genres I gravitate towards.