Kate Atkinson

maclsj

Has anyone read any Kate Atkinson? I'm trying to read Emotionally Werid but I'm finding it very hard to get into. I don't know if it is her writing style or just that particular book that is hard to read. Any comments/suggestions very welcome!

I have Behind the Scenes at the Museum on my TR pile. My Mum and my friend Jacqui both read and enjoyed it. I'm not sure whether I'm going to read it or not because I have such a huge TR pile as it is, and I feel it's one of those that I won't get round to!

(I don't think that helped much! :roll: )

Sounds like you've had a bad introduction to the world of Kate Atkinson. Now, I haven't read Emotionally Weird but I do know that even huge fans of Atkinson don't like that particular book. So, I would recommend abandoning that one and going with Behind the Scenes at the Museum (which is many people's favourite book) or One Good Turn which is one of only two books that I've given a 10/10 to this year :roll:

So please don't give up on her yet, she's a wonderful writer (but perhaps give up Emotionally Weird).

I did wonder if I'd picked the bad one so thank you PDR :roll: I will swap it for another Kate Atkinson instead :)

Bagpuss - it was helpful, afterall if people are suggesting you read 'Scenes Behind the Museum' it suggests it can't be bad!

I am a Kate Atkinson fan too - I have not read 'Emotionally Weird' although its on my TBR.

I have read 'Case Histories', 'Behind the Scenes at the Museum', and 'One Good Turn' - and they are all excellent. In fact she is now one of my favourite authors. Behind the Scenes is a good place to start :roll:.

I'm going to add my support for Behind the Scenes - read it years ago and thought it was absolutely brilliant. Was disappointed with Human Croquet and sort of abandoned Kate Atkinson after that so I haven't read Emotionally Wierd as a consequence. However recently (on this forum) I heard a lot of good about her two detective novels - both of which I've now read and really enjoyed.

• 2 months later...

I'm going to add my support for Behind the Scenes - read it years ago and thought it was absolutely brilliant. Was disappointed with Human Croquet and sort of abandoned Kate Atkinson after that so I haven't read Emotionally Wierd as a consequence. However recently (on this forum) I heard a lot of good about her two detective novels - both of which I've now read and really enjoyed.

Ha! I've just finished 'Case Histories' today and logged in to write it up in my blog. Whilst doing so I decided to search and see what others though - came across this thread and agree almost entirely with you. Can't wait to read the next 'Detective' story :(

Enjoyed Behind the Scenes but could never get into Human Croquet. Tried twice but gave up both times. Have Case Histories on the shelf though. Not heard of the detective ones though.