Foreign Films

Wipples

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amelie - and most films with Audrey Tautou. Love her.

Der Untergang - Bruno Ganz is brilliant.

And as strange as it seems to me, I have to count Swedish films as foreign films in this thread. :)

You'd think I'd mention an Ingmar Bergman film, but honestly, I've never seen any of his films. Yet. I plan to see The 7th seal as well as Fanny & Alexander. Just cause.

Best Swedish films, IMO:

The laser man (2005) - based on a novel by Gellert Tamas, the true story about one of the most infamous killers in Sweden. 

The girl with the dragon tattoo (2009) (Män som hatar kvinnor)

Show me love (1998) (fudgeing Åmål)

Simple Simon (2010) (I rymden finns inga känslor)

The hunters (1996) (Jägarna)

The evil (2003) (Ondskan)

The charter trip (1980) (Sällskapsresan)

House of angels (1992) (Änglagård)

A song for Martin (2001) (En sång för Martin)

Palme (2012) A documentary film

Don't ever wipe tears without gloves (2012) (Torka aldrig tårar utan handskar)

I haven't seen that many Dutch films, there are a few good ones but also a lot of ones that I'm not particularly interested in. One that comes to mind that I liked is the Baantjer film, unfortunately I can't find the title as IMDB seems to only know the TV series.

A Belgian film I really like is Ben X, based on a true story about a male teenager with autism. It also includes the theme of bullying. Some of it is a bit painful to watch but I feel the parts where he talks about his autism are very well explained.

Other foreign films I like are Asian, mainly Japanese (mainly anime). A few that come to mind are the Studio Ghibli films and Shaolin Soccer, there are more that I like but I'd have to look at my boyfriends' DVD collection, which is in the UK.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Parked, Calvary, The Guard and Death Of A Superhero are all Irish films I'd highly recommend. (DoaS is partly German, I think.) They're all in English, but they're Irish made films. That's foreign to pretty much everyone here but me :lol:

I still think Irish films are interesting, English-language or not. :roll:

I used to like a French film called Love Me If You Dare (that was its English title anyway). Really weird film. I'd probably hate it if I watched it now, but it used to show on the movie channels years ago and I liked it.

That definition doesn't exclude Irish haha :lol:. Basically little indie drama films. Parked stars Colm Meaney (Chief O'Brien in Star Trek) and Colin Morgan (of Merlin fame) as two homeless guys in Dublin (homeless for very different reasons and from very different backgrounds) who sort of become friends. Very good film. The Guard and Calvary both star Brendan Gleeson, and are (very darkly) comedic, with hugely Irish styling in both cases. People wanting a real sense of Ireland and our humour should watch them, but very very dark films. Death Of A Superhero is about a kid (Thomas Sangster-Brodie) who is terminally ill with cancer, basically coming to terms with that. Sort of a coming-of-age story, based on a novel I've yet to read.

I might have to check those out, thanks :)! I don't think I've seen any Irish films, I have seen though an Irish TV show called Father Ted, that's Irish, or not? My ex was half Irish, he liked this show. My boyfriend is also half Irish, coincidentally (his dad was Irish I believe, but he feels British).

I'm rather fond of movies not in the English language. Over the years, I've probably seem quite a few more than just these, but here are the ones off the top of my head that I've seen:

1. Les Valseuses (1974) - French - dark comedy starring Gerard Depardieu, Patrick Dewaere, Miou-Miou and Jeanne Moreau
  2. Ringu (1998) - Japanese - creepy horror, later remade as Ring for the American audience, but far better in the original language!
  3. La Fille Sur Le Pont (1998) - French - romantic dramedy starring Vanessa Paradis and Daniel Auteuil
  4. Harry, Un Ami Qui Vous Veut du Bien - (2000) - French - creepy psychological thriller starring Laurent Lucas, Sergi López and Mathilde Seigner
  5. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000) - Mandarin - fantasy starring Yun-Fat Chow, Michelle Yeoh and Ziyi Zhang
  6. Plein Soleil (1960) - French - original and best version of The Talented Mr Ripley, starring Alain Delon, Maurice Ronet and Marie Laforêt
  7. Oldboy (2003) - Korean - violent action thriller starring Min-sik Choi, Ji-tae Yu and Hye-jeong Kang - far better than the 2013 remake!
  8. The Raid: Redemption (2011) - Indonesian - violent crime thriller starring Iko Uwais, Ananda George and Ray Sahetapy - absolutely stunning!
  9. Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale (2010) - Finnish/English - brilliant horror about the REAL Santa Claus starring Jorma Tommila, Peeter Jakobi and Onni Tommila
  10. Trollhunter (2010) - Norwegian - fun horror starring Otto Jespersen, Robert Stoltenberg and Knut Nærum
  11. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2009) - Swedish/English - rare exception where I preferred the remake - I found this quite dull. Starring Michael Nyqvist, Noomi Rapace and Ewa Fröling
  12. Låt den Rätte Komma In (2008) - Swedish - remade as Let the Right One In, which was marginally better than the original. Starring Kåre Hedebrant, Lina Leandersson and Per Ragnar
  13. Night Watch (2004) - Russian / German - dark vampire fantasy thriller starring Konstantin Khabenskiy, Vladimir Menshov and Mariya Poroshina
  14. Babettes Gæstebud (1987) - Danish/Swedish/French - Oscar-winning period drama starring Stéphane Audran, Bodil Kjer and Birgitte Federspiel
  15. Pan's Labyrinth (2006) - Spanish - fantasy horror starring Ivana Baquero, Ariadna Gil and Sergi López

I might have to check those out, thanks :)! I don't think I've seen any Irish films, I have seen though an Irish TV show called Father Ted, that's Irish, or not? My ex was half Irish, he liked this show. My boyfriend is also half Irish, coincidentally (his dad was Irish I believe, but he feels British).

Father Ted is a lovely Irish/British joint effort, Irish writers (including Graham Linehan of Black Books and The It Crowd) under/in conjunction with a British station, as far as I'm aware. It's a gem in Ireland, and I think a lot of Brits get a laugh out of it too. It's very very very typical of Irish humor. :)

Father Ted is a lovely Irish/British joint effort, Irish writers (including Graham Linehan of Black Books and The It Crowd) under/in conjunction with a British station, as far as I'm aware. It's a gem in Ireland, and I think a lot of Brits get a laugh out of it too. It's very very very typical of Irish humor. :)

I liked the humour :)!

• 3 weeks later...

I used to like a French film called Love Me If You Dare (that was its English title anyway). Really weird film. I'd probably hate it if I watched it now, but it used to show on the movie channels years ago and I liked it.

Oh, I saw this 5-10 years ago on a TV channel here that's known for showing foreign films. I randomly started watching it (missed the beginning, as I recall). The ending of that movie will stay with me forever. :o I'd like to see it again one day.

1. Plein Soleil (1960) - French - original and best version of The Talented Mr Ripley, starring Alain Delon, Maurice Ronet and Marie Laforêt
  2. Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale (2010) - Finnish/English - brilliant horror about the REAL Santa Claus starring Jorma Tommila, Peeter Jakobi and Onni Tommila
  3. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2009) - Swedish/English - rare exception where I preferred the remake - I found this quite dull. Starring Michael Nyqvist, Noomi Rapace and Ewa Fröling
  4. Pan's Labyrinth (2006) - Spanish - fantasy horror starring Ivana Baquero, Ariadna Gil and Sergi López

I have #1, #3 and #4 on my 'TBW' pile. I watched the Swedish TGwtDT years ago, and since I recently finished the trilogy of books, I want to watch all of the movies, including both versions of TGwtDT. I can't remember much of the Swedish version.

• 1 year later...

Lent one of my colleagues A Royal Affair as he's wanted to see it for a while, and it's made me think about watching it again too.  If we get a rainy day this week, I might put it one myself.  I absolutely loved this film when I saw it at the cinema, and it's great to see how well Alicia Vikander's career is progressing, as I thought she was fantastic in it.

• 2 weeks later...