Lee Child

I just finished reading a thriller/suspense novel that has a Jack Reacher type main character: war veteran, hard drinker, self-loathing, a father, the reluctant hero. It was a richly descriptive espionage adventure that appeals to all - not of the fantastic or frenetic Bond-like genre; more of the Walter Mitty meets George Smiley meets an army officer. A retired Marine Corps officer who, weary of the daily domestic struggles of life stateside versus the tropical paradise of a land he learned to love while on active duty, happens upon spontaneous espionage and adventure due to his credentials as a dissolute expat.

Rather than suspending disbelief, the author lowers the main character to the reader's level, rendering the protagonist easy to understand and forgive his character flaws. The author describes the exotic sensuality of Thailand for the novice reader much like a modern Ian Fleming - the bars, hotels and dives are described in seductive, exotic detail, drawing the reader in to the hectic and fast-paced vibe of downtown Bangkok and the far reaches of the islands of the Gulf of Thailand.

Easy to read but firm and resolute, the writing is first-class and knowledgeable from a military point of view – memories of Hank’s past are described in a clearly authentic manner and carry the narrative along seamlessly.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished reading a thriller/suspense novel that has a Jack Reacher type main character: war veteran, hard drinker, self-loathing, a father, the reluctant hero. It was a richly descriptive espionage adventure that appeals to all - not of the fantastic or frenetic Bond-like genre; more of the Walter Mitty meets George Smiley meets an army officer. A retired Marine Corps officer who, weary of the daily domestic struggles of life stateside versus the tropical paradise of a land he learned to love while on active duty, happens upon spontaneous espionage and adventure due to his credentials as a dissolute expat.

Rather than suspending disbelief, the author lowers the main character to the reader's level, rendering the protagonist easy to understand and forgive his character flaws. The author describes the exotic sensuality of Thailand for the novice reader much like a modern Ian Fleming - the bars, hotels and dives are described in seductive, exotic detail, drawing the reader in to the hectic and fast-paced vibe of downtown Bangkok and the far reaches of the islands of the Gulf of Thailand.

Easy to read but firm and resolute, the writing is first-class and knowledgeable from a military point of view – memories of Hank’s past are described in a clearly authentic manner and carry the narrative along seamlessly.

Hi dnashby,

Which of the books is that?

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoy Lee Child books but find his character development boring and predictable. Recently reading ‘The Enemy,’ I found myself skimming through the parallel story of Reacher’s dying mother and stiff uncomfortable brother. I’ll continue to read his books for the suspense but I’m always on the lookout for a new author that offers better character development. I would prefer a less perfect central character and would also be interested in finding the name of the book dnashby is writing of (2 posts up.) Sounds suspiciously like 'Newman's Rubicon.' Self-published. A great central character and story. A few grammatical errors but worth the read.

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely love the Jack Reacher novels. They may be the same in terms of the plot, conflict and all that; but I still think they're brilliant and I have read most of them. I'm looking forward to seeing the film though. However, I wouldn't have chosen Tom Cruise to play Jack Reacher. My Mum thinks someone like Liam Neeson should have played him.

^^ Go and watch 300. Butler would've been a great choice (barring the accent).

Neeson's too old, imo. Reacher was supposed to be in his mid to late 30s when he got out of the army, wasn't he, which should've been yet another reason to rule out Cruise. Thomas Jane might've worked. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau has got the height/physique if he could've done the accent.

Jack Reacher's D.O.B is 29th October 1960, I think it is safe to say Liam Neeson would be around the right age. I don't see Tom Cruise as high action, to be honest, i think Gerard Butler has more toughness about him than Cruise. I don't think there would ever be the perfect choice out there for an actor to play Jack Reacher, every fan has their own ideas about who would be the best choice. For me, personally, I would have liked someone who had the right attitude to make up for any thing they lacked physically, I know it would be down right impossible to find a 6ft5 actor with hands the size of small chickens, but they didn't even try to make Tom Cruise look bigger and that is one of the things that Lee Child pushes in every single book is that Jack Reacher is a Big Man, not 5ft7

Jack Reacher's D.O.B is 29th October 1960, I think it is safe to say Liam Neeson would be around the right age.

Ah okay, and the movie was based on One Shot, wasn't it? Which was published in 2005, so you could say the character would've been 45. Liam Neeson's 60, so he's still too old, imo.

Most probably but when has that ever stopped hollywood. Digressing slightly, they cast Tom Cruise as Lestat in Interview with a Vampire when the character was supposed to be 20 and Brad Pitt as Louis who was supposed to be 24 at point of turning. Anyway I don't plan on seeing the film, I don't want my image of Jack tarnished by seeing Mr Cruise.

Most probably but when has that ever stopped hollywood.

True. Lee Child's attempts to justify Cruise's casting are laughable: “Reacher’s size in the books is a metaphor for an unstoppable force, which Cruise portrays in his own way.” Yep, that's exactly what I thought when I read the books: this character's a metaphor. Oh wait, no I didn't. :doh::rolleyes:

Disregarding height, I think Cruise is a bit too swarve and stylish for Reacher. Needs someone a bit grittier like Kiefer Sutherland if we were still disregarding height.

I agree, he has the sort of attitide that could make you believe he was going to take out 5 guys and win

Nick B, it IS similar but not quite, the clip i saw, i think he was at a library, while he witters on about why Tom Cruise was good, he also states "I am contractually obligated not to slag off the film". After he said that it didn't matter what he said, the good things he was saying about the film felt false seeing he felt the need to say he isn't allowed to slag it off

And I suppose to be fair to him (Lee Child that is), if Tom Cruise came up to me and said "I really like your books, how about I give you a few million dollars so I can film one of them" I'd be pretty happy to say what a swell guy he is too!

• 3 years later...

I have just read 'Night School' the latest Reacher story,

which only cam out here (UK) a couple of weeks ago.

I loved it,and thought it was much better than the last

couple, which have been feeling rather 'tired' as if

the author could not really be bothered.

Night School is 'old style' Reacher,back to the feel of

the first books,with a harder edge.