Lee Child

I have never read any of his books but I am going to buy the first book to the Jack Reacher series soon.I have heard they are really good so I look forward to reading them.

Same here. I've never read any of his books but am wanting to read something new. Which is book one?

And although not read the books I'm not a Tom Cruise fan either so hope he doesn't ruin the film you all lol

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which is book one?

The Killing Floor :)

Although, tbh, I don't think it really matters what order they're read in as they're all self-contained stories (although 61 Hours and Worth Dying For are probably best read one after the other).

The Killing Floor :)

Although, tbh, I don't think it really matters what order they're read in as they're all self-contained stories (although 61 Hours and Worth Dying For are probably best read one after the other).

Thanks Karsa am now going to look on eBay :)

Tom Cruise is only a good choice for a role if the character dies horribly in the first minute of the film.

Lee Child was on BBC Breakfast earlier this week, sounded interesting but I had to go to work . . .

Hope springs eternal... makes it a small franchise though and you know Cruise is all about the franchise (How many times can he go on an impossible mission???)

• 2 months later...

I loved it when Lee Child backtracked on his description of Jack Reacher and said it was a metaphor. No, 6ft5 225-250 pounds is a DESCRIPTION the metaphor was when he described Jack Reachers hands as being the size of small chickens (think it was 61 hours). I am ashamed to admit (and I admitted it on another thread) that as much as I have loved the Jack Reacher books, I think I forgot reading Bad Luck and Trouble because when I bought it recently for my boyfriend, I read it after him thinking this is so familiar. I still think I must have read it but I really don't remember. I think my favorites are The Visitor (the first Reacher book I read), 61 hours and Worth Dying For. I have The Affair but I think I will be fighting my boyfriend for that one.

*sobs at the thought of tom cruise on the cover of jack reacher books* I have The Affair, I still have to start it, and I wonder if I can finish it before my boyfriend finishes his Bill Bryson book. He has such bad book etiquette, It doesn't matter if I have started it, he will still take it disappear with it. Nothing is sacred in my house :(

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know it has nothing to do with the book (and that it has been said many times before) but Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher is just WRONG!

Does TC not know right from wrong?

I can picture the scene in the movie trailer now...a seedy bar in some hot, dusty outback town. Sweaty rednecks and hicks playing pool and abusing the gorgeous barmaid who is wearing a knotted-shirt / Daisy Dukes / cowgirl boots ensemble. Country and western music playing in the background.

Suddenly we hear the sound of the saloon doors creaking open and in strides...a squeaky voiced, 50 year old midget with hands the size of budgerigars.

The hicks snigger and the barmaid starts crying.

Groan!

Does TC not know right from wrong?

No, but he does know how to offer authors large ammounts of cash to get over any misgivings. Or am I being too cynical? :P

I'm guessing it was more a case of Cruise wanting the role and getting the money behind it. I could well be wrong, but that seems to be the way these vanity projects work. All I'll say is: John Travolta and Battlefield Earth. Must be something about Scientology that makes the two of them do these things!

Still, I'm sure that all the short actors working in Hollywood are grateful, as they'll all be in the movie to make Cruise look the appropriate Reacher size.

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Yep and army of trained umpa lumpas guaranteed work for the film :smile:

Brilliant! A musical!

"Umpa Lumpa, Lumpitty-do

I've got a loaded UZI for you

If you're 5 foot,

You'll get a job too

Umpa, lumpa doobity-do"

• 2 weeks later...

I just read my first Lee Child book and I loved it. I thought it was a great mix of old school Western and thriller. Couldn't put it down and can't wait to read the next. The worst part? Knowing that he's been around for so long and having never known about it. I wrote about the entire experience of reading my first Lee Child book here . . . http://puborperish.blogspot.com/2012/03/updated-heller-with-gun-or-why-havent-I.html

• 3 months later...

I'm guessing it was more a case of Cruise wanting the role and getting the money behind it. I could well be wrong, but that seems to be the way these vanity projects work. All I'll say is: John Travolta and Battlefield Earth. Must be something about Scientology that makes the two of them do these things!

Still, I'm sure that all the short actors working in Hollywood are grateful, as they'll all be in the movie to make Cruise look the appropriate Reacher size.

I think that's probably the main driver behind it. Lets face it, a movie with Tom Cruise in it will be a box office success and that is about all the movie companies care about. If you go to a movie company to raise cash to make a movie they are more likely to give you it if they know a big name actor is in it regardless of whether he or she suits the role.

The director (McQuarrie) seems to have something with Cruise as well, he wrote Valkyrie and is writing Top Gun 2, both Cruise movies. He also re-wrote some of the script for Ghost Protocol at the request of Cruise which caused some bun fighting amongst the screen writers guild. Not sure how he managed to blag the directing gig on this one though, he is primarily a writer, I guess it just goes to show 'It's not what you know, it's who you know'.

• 3 months later...