Difficulties when reading

ruben

Hey

Lately I've been worrying a bit about my reading skills. It takes some time and effort to comprehend a sentence, and see how it relates to the prior. Sometimes I really feel stuck on a sentence, and I don't want to move on when I don't really get it (while I sometimes even should!) When I don't know a verb (I read in english instead of dutch a lot), it's sometimes hard to guess, so it takes even more time looking words up. Main problem is that I focus a lot on details, and sometimes lose the big picture. All with all, it takes fairly much time to read even say 20 pages.

On the other hand: usually I remember fairly much details, and I genuinely like reading; it's one of those things I don't give up despite the barriers.

Do you think these difficulties decrease the more you have read? Do you recognize some of my obstacles and what do you do about it?

With love,

R

Edited by ruben

Hi Ruben,

Is this a problem that you only have when reading English text, or also in your, presumeably, native Dutch?

I sometimes find this if I read books, particularily if I'm reading something older or using vocabulary that is unfamilar to me. I can read half a page and suddenly realise that none of what I've read has gone into my brain.

I think it's certainly something that could decrease the more you read. I've found that while the start of a book can be difficult, it can become easier as you get used to that author's writing style.

It sounds like a pretty normal problem when you start reading in a new language. I had similar problems when I started reading more complex English stuff.

At first you want to look words up, especially if you can't understand the meaning from the context, but after a while your vocabulary should be vast enough to learn most words from context. You'll also develop a more natural reading tempo over time too.

It helps to stay within similar genres at first, since vocabulary can differ quite a lot between lets say sci-fi and historical fiction. But really, the only thing that really helps is practice.

Thanks for the replies :)

Hi Ruben,

Is this a problem that you only have when reading English text, or also in your, presumeably, native Dutch?

It also occurs with Dutch - although less - that I sometimes fail to make some connections and that a sentence becomes just words the first time I read it. So I also have some problems with reading in my native language.

I have to imagine this is largely due to reading in a different language. I don't speak any language other than English, but I can imagine how difficult it must be. It is probably similar to studying, rather than reading for enjoyment. Sorry, I don't actually have any constructive advice, but hopefully it is something that will get better with practice. :smile:

@frankie: yes, definitely, I have a complex inner life, which makes me more an artist than a reader, that's for sure :P

@bobblybear: thanks, yes it's much harder. When I read a Dutch book afterwards I read it way faster ('shock effect?')

I always find it harder to make sense of a story if I try reading when I have something on my mind.  Reading can sometimes be an excellent distraction, but sometimes whatever is on your mind can be an excellent distraction from reading!

I have this problem a lot. My mind likes to wander and sometimes I'll realize that I read 3-4 pages without actually understanding anything in the book and thinking about something completely different. It's extremely frustrating to me. 

I've found that over the years, reading English got easier and easier, up to the point where now I find it easier to read an English book rather than a Dutch one. My boyfriend's British so I speak English on a regular basis these days. I think, unless you have a specific reason of why it's hard to read (ie. a disability), it should get easier over time. If you do it a lot, you'll get better at it.