Christopher Priest

Michelle

This author seems to have many different books published, and I wondered who else had read anything by him?

I started with The Inverted World, which has the feel of classic SF, of a city which needs to be moved along a track or risk being destroyed. I guessed the general idea of what was happening quite early, but not all aspects, and I found it a generally good book to read.

I then listened to The Space Machine, which starts off in 1893, and is an alternative view of War of the Worlds. It also has a time machine, and HG Wells is actually part of the story. I found it a pleasure to listen, and it actually made me laugh in a few places.

Next I've just started A Dream of Wessex, which has a more modern feel.

Every one of his books looks interesting, and I'd love to know what others think.

I've read The Prestige (which is EXCELLENT) and also The Separation (also very good). Both deal with a slightly alternative history to our own but within a believable context, and both use misdirection and imperfect memory to great advantage.

Priest is a brilliant writer and I keep meaning to get hold of more of his books. He can be a bit mind bending, but if you just go with it and use your brain, it's an exhilirating ride and well work giving him a try! :)