Classical picture books

Sakura

Perhaps you guys can give me some pointers. I'm gonna have my first little one in a few month, and I want to start early with a little library. Can't get them hooked too early. ;)

Since the little one is supposed to be brought up bilingual, I want to include some English picture book classics too. But I can barely think of any. Dr. Seuss obviously, and the very hungry caterpillar, but that's about all I know.

So what would you consider must-haves? Which do you remember fondly from your childhood?

Winnie the Pooh :) but that's really a book with illustrations as opposed to a picture book so I don't know if it counts as such. The Beatrix Potter Peter Rabbit books are classics .. ooh and you MUST (if Claire's giving out her orders then so will I :D) get a copy of Raymond Briggs' The Snowman :) The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson is very good and also Where The Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak :) 

Congratulations by the way .. exciting times  :smile: 

Anything by Eric Carle is good. (He wrote The Very Hungry Caterpillar I believe)

Stellaluna 

Goodnight Moon

If you give a mouse a cookie (there is an entire series of these)

That's all I can think of for now. My mom is a preschool teacher so I could ask her for some ideas if you'd like. 

Just a few I can think of. Not only are these great stories but they all have wonderful illustrations.

Hairy Maclary From Donaldson's Dairy by Lynley Dodd

We're Going On a Bear Hunt by Helen Oxenbury and Michael Rosen

Ferdinand The Bull by Munro Leaf

What Do You Do With a Kangaroo by Mercer Mayer

Mr Gumpy's Outing by John Burningham

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very interesting topic, however all of the children's picture books in this house are in Dutch and I don't know how most of them are/were translated.. (I don't remember the authors of most of them, though one day I plan to open up the box and have another look in there!) I recognise some of the titles here but not most of them.

P. S. Have fun with your little one! :)