Robert Crais

I am surprised he gets no mention here. Robert Crais was a TV script writer (Cagney & Lacey), and then turned his hand to writing, and does he write!

His best books are those featuring Elvis Cole as the central character,  an ex-Ranger turned PI, and Joe Pike a former Marine who also owns a gun shop. In the last few years he has created a series around Joe Pike as the central character with Cole on the periphery.

The books are crime thrillers but above all they are about friendship and loyalty. My fave character is Joe Pike. He is like water, and then the volcano erupts.

• 3 weeks later...

I love Elvis and Joe, the last book was brilliant, there are ages between books so I usually have to do a recap of the last book before starting the next one lol. If I was in trouble, these are the two guys I would want looking out for me!

• 2 months later...

I have just "discovered" this writer and have just read 3 of his - Voodoo River, Free Fall & Indigo Slam. I really like them - Elvis Cole is a great character.