Books that are world changing

Vimes

Over the years that I have been reading, I have read books that have changed how I have seen, felt about the world and things in it. They have often been books that you wouldn't have thought it have that effect, but they did. ( I'm talking about books like the Tamuli series by David Eddings .)

What if any books have lead to a change in how you see the world?

Yes.. two in particular:

- No Logo, Naomi Klein: I read it when I was at school and it definitely changed my point of view and my behaviour. I still don't use lebels.

- Nothing, and so be it, Oriana Fallaci: It changed my conscience in so many ways! I read it when I was only 12 and I decided I wanted to live helping other people and being their voice everytime they couldn't speak for themselves. I'm still doing this: I live for the others and not for myself only.

Any of Mitch Albom's books -- his books are all short , but they all pack a life lesson that teaches you on so many levels . They teach you to appreciate each day you have , appreciate the PEOPLE in your life ,etc .

Tuesdays With Morrie was wonderful . I think lots of people would find it a depressing book which in a way it is . A really good man is dying and he knows his time is limited ,but he is wise . I think most people who are in that position in life become wise due to their circumstances . Possessions no longer have any importance. All the possessions in the world won't change the situation you are in. The only thing you have left is your PEOPLE. Whether they are friends, family, neighbors ... your people and your time are all you have left that is of importance ,so you become wiser about life .

Another, The Five People You Meet in Heaven is such a cool book . Kinda ties everything together in life .... shows how each and every thing that happens to us happens for a reason. We are all here to learn and analyze interactions we have and things that happen to us, because they are all connected to the bigger picture .

Anyhow, that is the one author that I can think of that really packs a wallop with his books. They might be small, but they pack a powerful message .

I can genuinely say I've never read a book that I felt has changed the way I feel about the world.  I have books that have provoked a strong reaction because they have been so beautifully written or the story has made me emotional, but none that have changed my feelings or views on the world.

I have always found it amazing how books can change things in so many ways, be it how you think about a subject to so many other things.

• 1 month later...

Books can definitely change the way you think, not so much novels obviously, but non-fiction  can open your eyes to the rest of the world, or politics or religion etc. It doesn't always make you agree with the author, but stops you having an narrow minded, parochial view of life.The other thing is, I'm old[ish!] now, and I have found that my views have changed over time, not just once but many times.Nothing is quite  as black and white as it used to be, which I take as a good thing.

I don't know if I entirelyagree with you about fantasy not changing how you think about things. I think what a lot of fantasy authors have to say about...war for instance, is greatly eye opening. Or about acceptance? What about all the books that have comments on human behavior? About ourselves? If one reads the right kind fantasy there is just as much as in non-fantasy IMO. But then that's just me :)