What's Up in August?

Janet

Morning all, just popping in to say hello as it's been a while! I've just been too busy and stressed to do any real reading.

Hope you're all doing well :friends3:

Hello Noll, hope you're feeling a bit better/less stressed now, take care and 'see' you around  :smile:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How exciting muggle not, your GD must have so much fun at summer camp. It's not something we have in the UK, and the thought of it always intrigued me, although I am too long in the tooth for it now. :D

We collected my KA on Saturday, and I am enjoying getting to know her. My ancient Rover was an entirely different beasty so it will take me a little while to really get used to her, but so much fun. She is the very (very!) basic model but she is shiny and nippy and little. I keep grinning at the thought of her. :blush2:  :giggle:

Hey Chrissy!! Now that you have the nice shiny and nippy car to zip around in, what are you going to do with the "broom". :P

Well, August has been, and will still be  quite busy for me

Both me and the other half have handed in our notices as we have both been offered new jobs, which we are starting in September some time.

Lots of nights out, birthday parties, a stagger, and a surprise hen weekend as we are also getting married next Friday! (eek) A very small affair, with no families, just six of our closest friends, but still, I am stressing out- will be glad when the ceremony is over! (I am so not a wedding person) 

How wonderful Carelia! Is that next Friday as in the 23rd or the 30th?   :balloons:

You definitely have a busy August happening. :wine:

I'm not a wedding person either, so I just focused on the mug of tea I planned on having once all our guests had gone (we had our reception as a barbeque in the garden). There we sat exhausted but happy, a mug of tea each and a lovely setting sun. I would suggest keeping an after event thought in your mind - it keeps the stress levels down.

Are you going on honeymoon?

It will be the 30th :)

We're just having a very small ceremony with 6 close friends, then a few more friends joining us for dinner at our favourite restaurant after, so very low key.(my family know about it though, and my parents did the same thing when they got married, so no bad feelings about not being there for the wedding. I've always been very clear with them I am not a wedding person)

We're not going anywhere straight away due to lack of holidays etc, but will hopefully get away somewhere nice next year. Thinking Sorrento, Italy at the moment, but things may change :)

I am looking forward to it - just not the ceremony part- I'm not a great fan of public displays of emotion (when it comes to my own) so I am dreading it! But it should only take about 15 minutes then we can party! haha

I hope you have a nice wedding :)!

I plan for our wedding, sometime in the future, to be small as well. Personally I've only ever attended one wedding in my whole life, and I don't remember a whole lot from it.

I hope you have fun :).

Congratulations, Carelia! I'm not a wedding person either. I hate to be the centre of attention. If I ever get married, it will be a low-key affair, too. :)

And congrats on the new jobs! What an exciting time in your lives. 

:o   I'm shocked, horrified and ever so hurt......................................... :D  Nah, we all should have other....mmmmmm....vehicles! :P

:witch:

:friends3:  :friends0:  :angel_not:

still friends!! I hope that you really enjoy your car. It sounds like it will be fun to drive. Plus, I will have the sky all to myself now that you are on the ground. :P

Congratulations Carelia.

I have just booked to go to Iceland for a few days in October. I have been humming and harring over it for a week or so, but in the end I just thought sod it, and so I went and booked it this morning. I have just finished printing out all the tickets.  

The main reason for going at this time of year is of course the Northern Lights - something I have always wanted to see. By happy coincidence, the Imagine Peace Tower, which sits out on an island in Reykjavik Bay is also being switched on that week - this is a marble tower as a tribute to John Lennon, which has the words Imagine Peace written around the base in 24 different languages. The tower is switched on (illuminated) on 9th October (John's birthday) each year, usually by Yoko Ono, and remains illuminated until his death date of 9th December. There is a free bus and ferry service to get you over to the island for a special ceremony, which I will hopefully be able to find a seat on, and if I am lucky I may be treated to some more northern lights as well.

I have managed to find a very cheap room in a hostel half a mile from downtown for the princely sum of £8 a night. I will need to bring a sleeping bag, but since you are no longer allowed to carry a tripod as hand luggage (something about them being deemed an offensive weapon), I will have to take checked baggage anyway. Coran has a good tripod that I can borrow. So now all I need to do is read up on how to take long exposures so I can get some great pictures to remember it all by. I am though thoroughly looking forward to once again sampling the delights of skyr, not to mention those fabulous hot pots at the legendary Reykjavik swimming pools. :smile:  

Congrats Carelia!!

I feel so blue at the moment. I said goodbye to my friend this morning, he's going back home and we won't see each other again. Ok we can still talk on the phone or chat on pc, but it's not the same.

Goodbyes suck.

I have a doctor's appointment this morning with the doctor that did my brain surgery. He will check to make sure that there is no brain fluid leakage (meaning that the holes are still plugged :smile: ).

I have a doctor's appointment this morning with the doctor that did my brain surgery. He will check to make sure that there is no brain fluid leakage (meaning that the holes are still plugged :smile: ).

I hope that all is well with your head muggle not. I had a sudden vision of little corks sticking through curly hair (why corks, and why curly hair I have no idea).

Big hugs to take with you to your appointment. :friends0:  :friends0: Take good care.

Well, August has been, and will still be  quite busy for me

Both me and the other half have handed in our notices as we have both been offered new jobs, which we are starting in September some time.

Lots of nights out, birthday parties, a stagger, and a surprise hen weekend as we are also getting married next Friday! (eek) A very small affair, with no families, just six of our closest friends, but still, I am stressing out- will be glad when the ceremony is over! (I am so not a wedding person) 

Big congratulations Carelia!  I believe you are doing the right thing, no big crowd.  When my husband and I married, we slipped away to a JP by ourselves.  I couldn't stand the idea of organizing a to-do at all.  Fortunately Charles felt the same way. 

Congrats Carelia!!

I feel so blue at the moment. I said goodbye to my friend this morning, he's going back home and we won't see each other again. Ok we can still talk on the phone or chat on pc, but it's not the same.

Goodbyes suck.

Oh, I'm sorry Eleonora.  I know it hurts.  :friends0:  :friends0:

muggles!  I suppose, by this time, you are done with the appointment, sending good vibes your way.  :empathy:

Hope it all went really well Muggles and you get an excellent report. Do let us know how you got on. :hug:

Chrissy, pontalba, poppy, & Eeonora - thanks for your thoughts and concern.

The "plugs" :smile: are still working and there is currently no leakage. They may last forever, or less than forever, or new holes may open up.

The holes were in the Temporal bone and that is what was causing the brain fluid leakage. The temporal bone is the single most complex bone in the whole body. In a nutshell the brain surgery consisted of taking part of the temporal bone and other material in the brain, mashing them together, and filling the holes  in the temporal bone with the matter. Then they actually lifted the brain and inserted titanium mesh under it. The surgery took place 3 years ago so.......so far so good.

A complex description of brain fluid leakage and a type of repair is in the following article......LOL, I don't actually expect you to read it but you can glance at it if you have the time:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3023320/

Edited by muggle not

Ye Gods muggle!  What an amazing, not to mention horrible experience!  Thank God for modern technology.  Seriously. :hug:

The link is fascinating.

Must be fun at the airport security alley.....

Wow muggle not, that is as pontalba says, amazing and horrible. I am regularly astounded by modern medical techniques. I will attempt to read the article when I have woken up a bit more.

Hugs and more hugs.   :friends0:

:flowers2:

Where has this month gone?  It's flown by so fast I've barely registered it.

First month in my new job is complete although I'm still very, very new at it.  It's so mentally demanding that I'm exhausted at the end of the day and I practically live for the weekends when I can have a rest!

We've booked ourselves a holiday to Rome for next year, which I'm silly excited for.  It's been years since I've been on holiday and in 10 years together, we've only been away once. I'm just going to spend the coming months researching all the awesome things we can do whilst we are there.

The "plugs" :smile: are still working and there is currently no leakage. They may last forever, or less than forever, or new holes may open up.

x

I'm glad the news was good, muggle. I hope it will last a long time :).

x

We've booked ourselves a holiday to Rome for next year, which I'm silly excited for.  It's been years since I've been on holiday and in 10 years together, we've only been away once. I'm just going to spend the coming months researching all the awesome things we can do whilst we are there.

x

This sounds super exciting! I wish you a lot of fun in Rome, and preparing for it :). I've been in Rome once, and would love to go there again sometime. In a way, a lot of my history and past, including meeting my boyfriend and finding forums online, happened because of being in Rome at the right place and the right time. I realise this may sound odd to all of you, but that's why I'd like to go back there, with my boyfriend, and see all the beautiful sights again. Have fun :)!