Your Book Activity - August 2013

Janet

Had a splurge this morning, and treated myself to a batch of kindle books (most of which were on offer in the Summer Sale or the Bargains section):

Daisy Dalrymple Omnibus by Carola Dunn
Die Laughing by Carola Dunn
Damsel in Distress by Carola Dunn
Dead in the Water by Carola Dunn
Styx and Stones by Carola Dunn
Love Song by Alex Miller
Cupcakes at Carringtons by Alexandra Brown
Etiquette and Espionage by Gail Carriger
The Little Village School by Gervase Phinn
Trouble at the Little Village School by Gervase Phinn
Little Sacrifices by Jamie Scott
Hubble Bubble by Jane Lovering
Tout Sweet by Karen Wheeler
Citadel by Kate Mosse
Angel Fire by L. A. Weatherley
Valentine Grey by Sandi Toksvig

I read,  thoroughly enjoyed and highly recommend! :smile:   Khaled Hosseini ~ And The Mountains Echoed

Then I returned to and finished reading Gone Girl ~Gillian Flynn, it did improve for me but I was quite disappointed with it for various reasons.

I have now down loaded Philippa Gregory ~ The White Queen and The Red Queen 

and a couple of thrillers that were on offer from Amazon.

Now to decide what to read next    :readingtwo:

Not been able to read much this weekend but after finding it on my kindle I devided to give hunt for red october a go.

That will be the first type of book i have read in that genre so could be hit and miss. I really love the movie though (bit of a guilty pleasure along with the rock )

I'm still mucking about, in and out of several books.  Another one I've picked up is a non-fiction by Geoffrey Robertson.  The Tyrannicide Brief.  It's the story of a lawyer, one John Cooke, Puritan.  He is the one that tried and convicted King Charles I, bringing Charles to his beheading. 

I've taken a break from The Ocean at the End of the Lane. I admit, I did not expect it to be a children's book, not after the blurb I read. It's still a well-written children's book, but not at all what I was in the mood for. Also, pretty short, masked well by the heavy pages and big font.

If started on Hammered now. A much better background read for the gamescom last weekend. It also wins simply due to the short dialog wherein the druid explains to a vampire that Neil Gaiman is awesome. ;)

Edited by Sakura

Finally gotten back into reading after a rough couple of weeks with the Baby not sleeping :(. Should finish Black Sunday by Thomas Harris today. After really hard going for the middle section I'm down to the last 100 pages or so and it's gotten really interesting, looking forward to seeing what happens and then I can watch the film adaptation.

I have also just started reading Kouzes & Posner's The Leadership Challenge. The owner of the company I work for leant it to me and just after the first chapter I can see why it is so highly rated.

I got about 50 pages read of Inkheart last night, I've been reading the book for more than a week now, I think, but I can still remember what's happened and where I'm left in the plot. Which I find a very promising thing! I think I want to really sit down today and try and finish the book :)

I've finished reading 'The Unbearable Lightness of Scones' by Alexander McCall Smith and again, I really enjoyed this. Instead of just moving on to the next 'Scotland Street' book, I've decided to try something different. A friend of mine recommended an e-book called 'The Summer of France' by Paulita Kincer, so now I'm reading that. It has its flaws, but so far, it's a fun read.

Glad to hear it frankie!  Yays, indeed!

I've also started Gone Girl.  So many polar opposite reviews I've seen.  Have to see for myself. :readingtwo:

I hope you enjoy it, I added the book to my wishlist after seeing reviews here and there. It'll be interesting to see how you like it :)

I finished another book, I'm on a roll :D Well, truth be told, it's a non-fiction book which I started weeks ago, and now got back into. I really enjoyed it, though, and it wasn't the type of book that needs to be read in one sitting, one can dip into it every now and then if one feels like it. It was Dialogues with Mothers by Bruno Bettelheim. Interesting stuff!

Library opened today!! :b7ydance: Well, at least one, for the other I have to wait until the first week of september. Anyway, I took for books for the moment: a non-fiction book on the war in Sarajevo; an italian classic I've never read before; Twisted Wing by Ruth Newman and The Tender Bar by J.R. Moehringer. I think I'll start reading immediately, 2 hours until dinner and I have already cooked it. Oh yes!!

During this week I read two Abbi Glines' books: Breathe, that is really nice and Fallen too far, very shallow. I didn't like it.

Fallen too far has a sequel, but I don't believe I'll read it, anyway.

Now, I'm reading a book of an italian author, Donato Carrisi, in italian. I don't believe that it has been translated in english...

Have fun, everyone and read a lot ;)

Edited by Many8

What books have you read so far this summer?

So far, I've read 'Hunger Games' by Suzanne Collins, 'Girl with a Dragon Tattoo' by Stieg Larsson and 'Bag of Bones' by Stephen King. Also read 'Interview with a Vampire' by Anne Rice but that was the end of Spring. They we're all great by the way/ I Can't wait to hear yours?