Your Book Activity - August 2013

Janet

After finishing Zeitoun I looked through my long list of books I would like to read, over 100 now after a lot of recommendations but I have decided on Black Sunday by Thomas Harris. I've only read the opening 3 chapters but I'm already really impressed, not that I expected anything less. It does seem very strange for an author to have wrote such few books though, as far as I can see Harris has only written this book and then the Hannibal series.

I've also written a review of Zeitoun, I would welcome some criticism on this if that is allowed, this does contain spoilers however so please do not read if you've not read the book or if you are planning on reading, the review is at www.vitusthorne.com. If this link needs to be taken down or if the review needs to be posted elsewhere please let me know. I'm just after some advice really as I've not written anything since school  :blush2: .

My next book, selected by the power of whim is The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway.

This sounds so familiar i'm sure i 've bought it at some point & it's buried one of my book piles i'll have to have a dig around & see if i can find it :smile:

I finished Black Narcissus  Rumer Godden  last night ; i love books set in India & this didn't disappoint i was tempted to dive straight into another of her novels but in the ended decided to stick with my plan to make Case Histories   Kate Atkinson my next read. I've had this so long the pages are starting to go yellow at the edges so it's definitely long overdue for a good read  :o

Other book activity - i spent a very enjoyable hour browsing through the Nonsuch Classics selection on Amazon & added quite a few to my wishlist. Guilt free shopping  :D

...decided to stick with my plan to make Case Histories   Kate Atkinson my next read. I've had this so long the pages are starting to go yellow at the edges so it's definitely long overdue for a good read  :o

Hopefully you will enjoy it as much as I did! :smile:

The paperbacks and hardbacks I wanted to read were all too big to fit in my bag, so I've gone back to the Kindle for a book, and have started a light and frothy paranormal comedy thriller called Bloodstone by Barbra Annino.  Nice bit of escapism for my lunch break after a heavy morning at work.

Edited by chesilbeach

I finished The Bones of Avalon ~ Phil Rickman, I really enjoyed it and will definately be looking out for a sequel.  :smile:

Today I started Gone Girl ~ Gillian Flynn I haven't read much but I'm struggling all ready! so I think I will put it to one side and try again at a later date, I think it's my mood and not the book that's the problem  :blush2: so I might read some Sherlock Holmes instead.  

I started on Hexed, second part of the iron druid series. Though, start in this case means I'm nearly half-way through already. Why are all the good books always too thin. ;)

And I'm impressed that they manage to use grammatically correct German in that one.

Today I started Gone Girl ~ Gillian Flynn I haven't read much but I'm struggling all ready! so I think I will put it to one side and try again at a later date, I think it's my mood and not the book that's the problem  :blush2:

It took me a little while to get into it. I really struggled with Amy's tone in her diary entries, but soon enough it got better.

NW by Zadie Smith is becoming a bit of a struggle. I'm just finding it dull.

Finished 'Return to the Olive Farm' by Carol Drinkwater. I really don't know whey I too so long to finish this one, as I started it on holiday and really enjoyed it. This happens when you try to read more than one book at once!

I've just finished a delightful little book called The French for Love which was a Kindle Daily Deal a little while back.  Good value for money!

I'm now reading a few short stories by Guy du Maupassant while deciding what to read next.  It's still Summer so I'm still in the the mood for light reads.

Finished The Talented Mr Ripley by Patricia Highsmith and started Penelope by Rebecca Harrington. Mojo is still reluctant but I'm giving it the 'tough love' approach :D

Also started to listen to Les Miserables .. goodness it's detailed. I've listened for well over an hour .. possibly almost two .. and yet have only learnt about the bishop so far :o 

I'm still reading the book on Henry VIII's blood (diseases)...author is a bit fusty, but interesting.  Have torn through the first half of Lady of the Rivers finally, the first in the Cousin's Wars series by Philippa Gregory. 

Finished reading Bloodstone by Barbra Annino and listening to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire earlier, then started reading a short story collection, Once You Break a Knuckle by D. W. Wilson and a travel book Road to Rouen by Ben Hatch, as well as starting to listen to Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

I've also got my book club read to fit in this month which is The 100 year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of A Window...... I already have this so i was pleased with the choice as it means it'll be one more book off the TBR pile. Book buying wise i've only bought a couple of book this week so not doing too bad  :giggle:

Two birds with one stone, that's great! :D I hope you shall like the book! :)

Finished Case Histories by Kate Atkinson. I really enjoyed it. It's my first book by this author, but certainly won't be my last. I noticed that my library has Started Early, Took My Dog so I shall pick that up next time I'm there. But I really need to get going on the books I own, rather than borrowing more from the library. :doh:

Yay, I'm so happy you liked Case Histories! :) I hope the rest of the series is just as good, I've yet to read the sequels. Getting back to TBR and trying to make the Mount of it smaller is always great and a tempting choice, but remember, the library books are free :giggle: At least you wouldn't have to buy SE,TMD! :)

I finished Black Narcissus  Rumer Godden  last night ; i love books set in India & this didn't disappoint i was tempted to dive straight into another of her novels but in the ended decided to stick with my plan to make Case Histories   Kate Atkinson my next read. I've had this so long the pages are starting to go yellow at the edges so it's definitely long overdue for a good read  :o

I hope you enjoy Case Histories! :)

Other book activity - i spent a very enjoyable hour browsing through the Nonsuch Classics selection on Amazon & added quite a few to my wishlist. Guilt free shopping  :D

The best kind... :D

Just finished Teacher, Teacher by Jack Sheffield, and in my attempt to keep on top of things this tie, I've already written my review on my reading blog!

Wow, you were really quick! :D I'll have to come over and read your review (and the other new ones you've written) later today, I'm currently going through Kay's reading log and it might take some time... :D

Well i'm about 100 pages in & so far so good  :smile:

Good to hear! :)

Finished The Talented Mr Ripley by Patricia Highsmith and started Penelope by Rebecca Harrington. Mojo is still reluctant but I'm giving it the 'tough love' approach :D

I like the tough love approach much better than the 'no love? Tough :( ' approach. *shakes fist at poppyshake's mojo* At least you've managed to do some reading :empathy:   I hope you enjoyed TTMR!

I wouldn't want to assume I've gotten my mojo back, because you know what they say about people who assume, but I have managed to get into a fictional book. Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. This is a re-read so I'm not exactly counting it, but I'm very happy with reading it at the moment, it's very good and feels like a new read because I don't remember all that much about the novel. (Don't tell this to mojo, but I have the sequels and I'm planning on holding mojo hostage and going straight to the never-before-read sequels after this one :giggle: Shhhh!! :readingtwo: )

Edited by frankie

Finished Girl Reading which I really enjoyed. There was something about the writing, it flowed nicely.

Have started Doomed Love by Virgil and I've somehow managed to read a quarter without taking anything in, not sure whether to stop and try something else or carry on and hope for the best.

I'm getting really tired of all this holidays thing with the library closed.. I have read the whole huge pile of books I picked up a month ago, and now I don't know what to do. No book till monday? NO WAY! I'm seeing my cousin this evening, hope she can borrow me something. Anything! Or I'll have to re re re read The Picture of Dorian Gray: nice, but I know it by heart.

I'm getting really tired of all this holidays thing with the library closed.. I have read the whole huge pile of books I picked up a month ago, and now I don't know what to do. No book till monday? NO WAY! I'm seeing my cousin this evening, hope she can borrow me something. Anything! Or I'll have to re re re read The Picture of Dorian Gray: nice, but I know it by heart.

Are the Italian libraries closed during summer? :o It's unheard of, if that's the case, and you have my sympathies!! :empathy:  I hope your cousin has something for you. Otherwise, you have to bang on your neighbors' doors and ask them for books :D

Hey, it's been a while since you've mentioned Dry. Am I correct if I assume you still haven't gotten your copy? :o

Wow, you were really quick! :D I'll have to come over and read your review (and the other new ones you've written) later today, I'm currently going through Kay's reading log and it might take some time... :D

You know me, no hanging about when it comes to reading! ;):lol: Kay's thread is much more interesting (and funny) than mine, so take your time and enjoy. :D

Today, I downloaded an M. C. Beaton book as it was in the Kindle Daily Deal and it'll be a nice treat for the weekend, especially after I finish Road to Rouen which I'm finding a bit of a chore at the moment.   :huh: