Your Book Activity - August 2013

Janet

Finally given up on Empires of the Sea by Roger Crowley, just too much hard going when I'm not sleeping well, I'm finding it hard to read a book with no narrative as well. I think I need to read a lot more fiction before I can delve into the world of non-fiction without having a real good interest in the subject matter.

Today I have finished Dexter in the Dark, as per my previous post on this, very disappointed by the turn which the series has taken by this book but it looks to have gotten back on track with the last page of the book, a massive disappointment for me but I hope that the next book in the series is a return to the high standards the first two set.

For my next book I think I am going to go for The Story of The Streets, probably not something which would hold interest for most members of this board (not to cause offence) but I am an on/off fan of The Streets and find Mike Skinner a somewhat interesting character so it will be interesting to see the insight that this book brings.

F

Today I have finished Dexter in the Dark, as per my previous post on this, very disappointed by the turn which the series has taken by this book but it looks to have gotten back on track with the last page of the book, a massive disappointment for me but I hope that the next book in the series is a return to the high standards the first two set.

The third Dexter book was a rather serious disappointment, but as a long-time fan of the books, I urge you: please don't let this stop you from reading the fourth novel! It's a great improvement, it's probably as good as book 1 and 2 :yes: And just wait til you get to book five, it's my absolute favorite in the series!!! :smile2:

Thanks Frankie, I am definitely going to continue on and read the others as the reviews do seem to pick up again after book 3. Hopefully I'll be able to get them read before the latest one comes out in the next few weeks.

Thanks Frankie, I am definitely going to continue on and read the others as the reviews do seem to pick up again after book 3. Hopefully I'll be able to get them read before the latest one comes out in the next few weeks.

Well I'm really pleased to hear that! :smile2: I hope you enjoy the next installment :)

The third Dexter book was a rather serious disappointment, but as a long-time fan of the books, I urge you: please don't let this stop you from reading the fourth novel! It's a great improvement, it's probably as good as book 1 and 2 :yes: And just wait til you get to book five, it's my absolute favorite in the series!!! :smile2:

:I-Agree:  totally with Frankie,  you won't be disappointed with the next 2! 

I've just finished to read Frozen Heat, by Richard Castle, the fourth book of the series...

It's very interesting, and I would read the next book, but it'll published only at the end of september!

There're so many questions without answers, and I would know much more! XD

I should waiting, anyway.

About Dexter's series, I read only the first book, but soon I'll read also the others.

Now, I've decided to read Hopeless, by Colleen Hoover, a YA book, in english. (I miss read in english)

We managed to accumulate quite a few tree books from various bookshops when we were on holiday earlier in the year, as well as borrowing and swapping a few, so I've been trying to work my way through some of them recently, but have gone back to my kindle for the weekend, as the latest Chloe Neill book in her Chicagoland Vampire series, Biting Bad came out on Thursday, and couldn't resist it.  Looking forward to a Saturday without too much thinking involved!

Then it'll be back to the paperbacks and hardbacks, and see what I can pick up tomorrow. :smile2:

Edited by chesilbeach

I'm about a third through Case Histories. Pretty good so far, but I'm reading the Large Print version and I find it harder to read. :blink:

Popped into the local library today, and nearly borrowed The Twelve by Justin Cronin and Where Late The Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm, but I really do have enough books on my Kindle to get through. Aren't I disciplined? :lol:

I finished The Shack a few days ago, my eldest daughter recommended this after she read it but it wasn't my sort of thing, a bit too Zip a dee doo dah for my liking. So now i'm about halfway through Black Narcissus  Rumer Godden which is much more my sort of thing. I've also got my book club read to fit in this month which is The 100 year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of A Window...... I already have this so i was pleased with the choice as it means it'll be one more book off the TBR pile. Book buying wise i've only bought a couple of book this week so not doing too bad  :giggle:

Finished The Story of The Streets by Mike Skinner, a really interesting read and once I'd started I was hooked, hence why I finished it in a couple of days! Mike Skinner is one of those people who nobody seems to have anything good to say about but this book shows a side of him which really shows how much he cares about his music.

Throughout all of his career drugs and alcohol have played a big part but he is very frank when it says that he didn't have a problem with them he was just doing it because that was what popstars are expected to do and there wasn't much better for him to do in those circles. Really interesting book and I'm glad that I gave it a chance.

I've now just started Zeitoun by Dave Eggers, a book which follows the story of one family during the disaster of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans in 2005. Really looking forward to reading this one and I've only got until next Saturday when it needs to be back at the Library so hope to get that read by the middle of this week.

Feeling a wee bit down today so I have started Clarissa Oakes, the next book in of my favourite series, the Aubrey-Maturin novels by Patrick O'Brian.  They are always very soothing to the spirit, just what I need! :)

Feeling a wee bit down today so I have started Clarissa Oakes, the next book in of my favourite series, the Aubrey-Maturin novels by Patrick O'Brian.  They are always very soothing to the spirit, just what I need! :)

Awww ... hope you feel soothed Oosh :empathy: 

Finished Case Histories by Kate Atkinson. I really enjoyed it. It's my first book by this author, but certainly won't be my last. I noticed that my library has Started Early, Took My Dog so I shall pick that up next time I'm there. But I really need to get going on the books I own, rather than borrowing more from the library. :doh:

I've also just started NW by Zadie Smith.

Well, I haven't done any reading today, but I have managed to catch up on all my reviews - twelve in one day.  :typing:  Will hopefully be able to keep on top of them a bit better from now on - it's been exhausting!  :D

Trying to decide what to read next.  I did pick out one book, but it's a largish hardback and won't fit in my bag for work, so I'm off to the bookshelves again. :out:

Edited by chesilbeach

ChrisD wrote: 

I've now just started Zeitoun by Dave Eggers, a book which follows the story of one family during the disaster of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans in 2005. Really looking forward to reading this one and I've only got until next Saturday when it needs to be back at the Library so hope to get that read by the middle of this week.

I have this on the shelf, unread as of yet. 

Here is an article in our local newspaper about Zeitoun and his legal problems to do with his now ex-wife.  http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2013/07/zeitoun_found_not_guilty_on_bo.html

I have this on the shelf, unread as of yet. 

Here is an article in our local newspaper about Zeitoun and his legal problems to do with his now ex-wife.  http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2013/07/zeitoun_found_not_guilty_on_bo.html

I would recommend reading it, probably much more interesting to you as well being local. It is a very interesting book but it certainly took something away knowing about what would happen with Zeitoun and his wife following the book. I stumbled upon the article whilst searching for information on his brother (he is mentioned quite a lot in the book) and it kind of soured the book a little for me but nonetheless it is still a great read.

The way in which it is written is very good as well and seems (to me, anyway) very different from most non-fiction books on subject's like this.

I finally finished The Rest falls Away. I'm still not sure what to think about it. It's well written, but also very cliche in a absentminded sort of way. The cliches are usually just used in passing, without much depth to it.

As if the author was fulfilling a requirement, without much thought.

What vampire books need:

A prophecies that only the heroin can defeat the villain *check*

Hunt for a McGuffin *check*

Two men rivaling for the heroin's heart *check* 
Gratuitous sex scenes *check*

A personal vendetta against the villain *check*

A lover who becomes a vampire *check*

A tragic ending *check*

But despite that I did not find it whole uninteresting to read. Since it's the authors first book, I'm willing to give the next part in the series a try to see if it gets more coherent and less cliche. Right now I'd classify it as very good fanfiction