Your Book Activity - August 2013

Janet

I'm reading Gone Girl now, and I have to say, I find Amy's tone in her diary entries really annoying. :sarcastic: Aside from that, it's ok...too soon to judge really.

I agree with that, the author does a good job of making her come across as really irritating. I do like the back and forth of the story though.

My Book People order arrived on Friday so I'm trying to get through Firestarter - Stephen King. I don't think it's one of his best, there are are few plot holes that have had me rolling my eyes but it's not bad enough to stop reading it though.

I decided to make The Shack my next read as i need to clear some books from my TBR mountain instead of reading library books & books that i intend on keeping  :blush2:

This Edgar Allan Poe book is beginning to drag a little.

The Gold-Bug

William Wilson

Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar

The Island of the Fay

The Sphinx

MS. Found in a Bottle

Eleonora

A Descent into the Maelström

Conversation of Eiros and Charmion

The Murders in the Rue Morgue

The Mystery of Marie Rogêt

The Purloined Letter

The Thousand-and-Second Tale of Scheherazade

Only 224/556 pages in, 12/39 stories read. I am hoping the best is yet to come! There are some really good short stories here. I think the writing style (of those times) is not for me, seems to take me twice as long as usual to get through the old fashioned style and wording. I will probably fly through a modern book after finishing this one! So far, my favourites have been:

The Gold-Bug - A story of a man who becomes seemingly crazed and obsessed with finding 'hidden treasure', after finding a peculiar, gold scarab near a shipwreck.

The Murders in the Rue Morgue - A (horrific) murder mystery set in Paris.

A Descent Into the Maelström - A story of three fishermen/brothers in Scandinavian waters, and a giant whirlpool/water hurricane.

Just over the halfway mark of Gone Girl. I'm really, really liking it.

My eldest DD didn't get into the book till halfway through & then she couldn't put it down.

Just over the halfway mark of Gone Girl. I'm really, really liking it.

I really like Gone Girl as well....hope the movie is halfway decent.

A little over halfway thru And the Mountains Echoed and absolutely love it

I've just started The Rest Falls Away. Right now it seems like the mixture of historical romance with vampire hunting doesn't yet blend itself as well as I hoped.

But I like the idea of a tough vampire hunting badass instead of the typical Mary-sue like clever, attractive yet independent girl, though I guess I could live without the whole romance part.

I started My Family and Other Animals by Clare Balding today. :smile2:

Hows it going? Hope you enjoy it Claire .. I thought it was fab and I know you like her in general :)

Am going to start The Talented Mr Ripley by Patricia Highsmith :)

86WM ( :D .. it's like I'm living in a dystopian future) .. you're very brave to attempt reading all the Poe stories in one go .. I know I'd have wandered off by now. I do remember it took me a while to read the two that I did. Still it will enable you to work out which ones you admire etc and you'll be extra enthusiastic about your next book :D You're probably more than halfway now so if you squint you can probably see the end in sight :D Good luck!

Hows it going? Hope you enjoy it Claire .. I thought it was fab and I know you like her in general :)

Am going to start The Talented Mr Ripley by Patricia Highsmith :)

I hope you like it, it's pretty good! :)

I started reading Transforming Your Dragons - Turning Personality Fear Patterns into Personal Power, by José Stevens. I haven't been able to start a fictional book in ages so I thought maybe a bit of self-help is in order. I already got a slight, warm fuzzy feeling :giggle2::smile2:

I'm about 50 pages in and I've already welled up with tears at one point. It's lovely - such a straight forward, friendly style, she comes across just as she does on screen and radio.

I hope you like it, it's pretty good! :)

That is very good to know, thanks frankie :)

I'm about 50 pages in and I've already welled up with tears at one point. It's lovely - such a straight forward, friendly style, she comes across just as she does on screen and radio.

Yes it's brilliant .. I was on the verge of tears constantly but it wasn't maudlin in any way, just incredibly touching. I heard her read it but I imagine her voice comes through loud and clear anyway .. and you have the added advantage of the pics which I had to go into Waterstone's to look at :D  :blush2: 

I really like Gone Girl as well....hope the movie is halfway decent.

Oooh, I didn't know they were planning on a movie. It will be interesting to see how they translate the interchanging chapters into a screenplay.

I just finished it this evening. I absolutely loved it and would have finished it earlier if not for pesky work getting in the way. :giggle: I thought the characters were described and played out superbly. Mixed feelings about the end though, but on the whole I'm so glad I read this one.

Next up is Case Histories by Kate Atkinson which has received some positive comments on here.

I've treated myself to a kindle paperwhite and I am loving it  :smile:  so I have downloaded a few books (cause it had to be done even though it's a replacement and I've got plenty to read without buying more!)

I have just finished A Feast For Crows - George R.R. Martin, it took me a while to get into it but once I did I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have also downloaded:

A Dance With Dragons (parts 1 & 2)  George R.R. Martin  

And The Mountains Echoed - Khaled Hosseini

The Bones of Avalon - Phil Rickman, I've enjoyed the Merrily watkins series by him so look forward to this one.

There are more books but too many to list, enough to keep me going for a while anyway! 

I've also got Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn, on the book shelf ready.  

The Bones of Avalon - Phil Rickman, I've enjoyed the Merrily watkins series by him so look forward to this one.  

That's a good book, and so's the sequel :smile:

Finished And the Mountains Echoed.  Loved it, just as good as his other two.  The man really writes the most beautiful stories.

I will have to put it on my list. Your recommendations are usually pretty good. ;)

Finished And the Mountains Echoed.  Loved it, just as good as his other two.  The man really writes the most beautiful stories.

Glad you enjoyed it and think it's as good as the others, I just downloaded it and look forward to reading it   :smile:

That's a good book, and so's the sequel :smile:

I started The Bones of Avalon today and I'm enjoying it so far    :readingtwo:

I also had an email saying that  Police (The new Harry Hole story) by Jo Nesbo is out in September! I'm really looking forward to reading it.