Books that you bought or retained for nostalgia

I am terribly nostalgic about most things, but my books more than anything else. Thus, I have a virtual home library full of books right from my early childhood which I like to read sometimes to get the flavour of "how it used to be in those days". Among my favourite collections include my old comic books, Arthur Mee's Childrens' Encyclpaedia (the 10-volume coronation edition from 1953), How & Why Wonderbooks, Enid Blyton books and so on. Does anyone else here indulge in this (or are you too embarassed to tell? :roll:)

I still have all my Calvin & Hobbes books and dip into them, on and off. And I would never let go of any of my Roald Dahl books!

What's really funny is that I still have all my Manics (Manic Street Preachers) biographies from when I was a teenager, as I can't bear to get rid of them: it would seem like a betrayl of my teenage self! Same goes for all my dog-eared fanzines (lovingly printed on black and white photocopy paper, lol).

Hmmmm.... I bought the Riddle Master of Hed trilogy when it came out re-bundled as one edition and I've had to buy new editions of Dragonsinger and Dragonsong since they'd originally been bought used and simply fell apart; I went through a five year period where I re-read them every summer.

I still have my copy of The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test from the early 70's and I'm amused that two rolling papers stuck together is the bookmark (Zig Zag, of course).

I have two boxes of old comics that run from my "early days" (Casper, Wendy, Archie, Richie Rich) to my "older days" (Superman, Spiderman, Batman, Green Lantern, Hulk etc). I felt ten cents was a fair price, then up to 12 and finally 25 cents. When it jumped to 50 cents (then to a dollar!) I thought they were way too expensive for what they were. Years (and years and years) later I found the Dark Knight and Sandman graphic novels and that I could afford them.

When I was courting my now ex-wife, we used to buy the books with the Calvin and Hobbs comics in them. I'd read them out loud and we'd go from panel to panel and just laugh and laugh because, really, Calvin and Hobbs was awesome. Now and then; when it's not too depressing, I'll read through them again for fun and nostalgia - the reading of them is tied to an event in my life and they are still great.

pals.jpg

Last week, I bought The Amazing Mr Blunden by Antonia Barber, because it was one of my favourites as a child. I did a short review in the Young People's Zone on here and ended it with "8/10 - for pure nostagia"! In fact, when I saw your thread I wondered for a second whether it was that comment that prompted your thread! :roll:

I recently re-read all the Famous Five books, and I have my copies of 'The Woodland Series' by Beverley Nicholls and some Winnie-The-Pooh which belonged to me as a child - the only original childhood books I still have.

I've started buying a few books I had as a child recent for that very reason.

Nostalgia rocks! :)

I still have my copy of The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test from the early 70's and I'm amused that two rolling papers stuck together is the bookmark (Zig Zag, of course).

Of course! :)

When I was courting my now ex-wife, we used to buy the books with the Calvin and Hobbs comics in them. I'd read them out loud and we'd go from panel to panel and just laugh and laugh because, really, Calvin and Hobbs was awesome. Now and then; when it's not too depressing, I'll read through them again for fun and nostalgia - the reading of them is tied to an event in my life and they are still great.

pals.jpg

Aw, that's a lovely story! And thank you for posting that picture - I was feeling very bored and fed up - seeing them has now cheered me up :roll: So thank you Wrath!

<snip>

....and some Winnie-The-Pooh which belonged to me as a child - the only original childhood books I still have.

Nostalgia rocks! :roll:</snip>

Didn't you love the Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day narrated by Sebastian Cabot, the Disney one? I thought they were beautifully drawn and I liked how the format was tied into a book-theme.

Didn't you love the Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day narrated by Sebastian Cabot, the Disney one? I thought they were beautifully drawn and I liked how the format was tied into a book-theme.

I can't say I've ever heard it, but it sounds good! :roll:

A couple lately. I mooched Charlotte's Web a month or two ago and read it. I was planning to go to the cinema to see it, but my friends flaked out on me. Apparently it's too girly and kiddyish. Anyway, hadn't read it since I was about ten or eleven.

I also mooched a book called Elidor of someone, which I read years and years ago. That's on my TBR I want to get Freckle Juice by Judy Blume just to see what it is like!

I've still got my Roald Dahl and some of my Edind Blyton books, which I may keep to read again. Sadly I don't have Fantastic Mr Fox as that's my favourite. I must read the BFG again though, because I loved that book. I read it so often the gold binding stuff on the spine has rubbed off!

Do you mean the animated Disney ones (as I believe you do)? Yes, I loved them! It was the first 'long' feature I watched as a tot without becoming bored.

I also liked how they kept the stories in 'book' form - especially as I liked the original books, too.

Coincidentally, this weekend I was desperately trying to remember all the words to the theme tune: "There once was a hundred-acre wood / Where Christoper Robin played / *mumble mumble mumble...*" then it would list the inhabitants (I always liked the "Kanga! And little Roooooo" bit :)), which ended with "But most of all Winnie-the-Pooh... Winnie-the-Pooh! Who? Winnie-the-Pooh! Cuddly *mumble-something-or-other* bundle of fluff..." etc.

As you can see, I struggled somewhat! :roll:

By the magic of Google search...

Deep in the hundred-acre wood

where Christopher Robin plays,

you will find the enchanted neighborhood

of Christopher's childhood days.

A donkey named Eeyore is his friend,

and Kanga and little Roo.

There's Rabbit and Piglet and there's Owl

but most of all Winnie the Pooh.

Winnie the Pooh, Winnie the Pooh

Tubby little cubby all stuffed with fluff.

He's Winnie the Pooh, Winnie the Pooh.

Willy nilly silly ole bear.

:roll:

I have two boxes of old comics that run from my "early days" (Casper, Wendy, Archie, Richie Rich)

Small world! These Harvey and Archie titles are among my favourite ones and I have a massive collection of those (and Dell / Gold Key comics). Somehow I never got 'into' superhero comics except The Phantom (who is not really a 'superhero').

I have a matching set of hardback books that were bought for me as a baby - Winnie the Pooh and The Wind in the Willows - both are in excellent condition, despite having been read countless times. I also still have a small, hardback copy of A Tale of Two Bad Mice by Beatrix Potter, it was a gift from my Daddy when I was about 2 years old. On top of that, I still have my hardback copy of Wizwam and Kelley Under the Sea, which features my own adventure with Wizwam the wizard and mentions both my cousin (Vicky) and my dog (Mossy).

I'm also currently re-reading one of my childhood favourites - Ronia, The Robber's Daughter by Astrid Lindgren. My copy is paperback and, i worked out today, about 20 years old. It's still in excellent nick though. :roll:

Coincidentally, this weekend I was desperately trying to remember all the words to the theme tune: "There once was a hundred-acre wood / Where Christoper Robin played / *mumble mumble mumble...*" then it would list the inhabitants (I always liked the "Kanga! And little Roooooo" bit :)), which ended with "But most of all Winnie-the-Pooh... Winnie-the-Pooh! Who? Winnie-the-Pooh! Cuddly *mumble-something-or-other* bundle of fluff..." etc.

As you can see, I struggled somewhat! :roll:

I found it on youtube!

I have kept all my books that I had as a child, Ronald Dahl, Enid Blyton and like Kell my hardback of Wind in the Willows. I have now passed them all onto Robbie in the hope that he will love reading just as much as I do!

I have also kept all of my Virginia Andrew books, I havn't read them for 16 years but I can't bring myself to get rid of them.. :roll:

I still have all my Calvin & Hobbes books and dip into them, on and off. And I would never let go of any of my Roald Dahl books!

What's really funny is that I still have all my Manics (Manic Street Preachers) biographies from when I was a teenager, as I can't bear to get rid of them: it would seem like a betrayl of my teenage self! Same goes for all my dog-eared fanzines (lovingly printed on black and white photocopy paper, lol).

I implore you to keep them - I got rid of a lot of teen stuff (kept my diaries though lol) because I felt I'd moved on, now I wish I still had the fanzines and the pictures I drew etc.

I gave away a lot of my childhood books (Roald Dahl, Charlotte's Web etc). I wish I had kept them - I've been rebuilding my Roald Dahl collection and in the process have read some of his books that I never got around to when I was younger. I would like to track down Charlotte's Web again, and I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.

I have kept all my Baby-Sitter's Club book though :roll: They're packed up in a couple of boxes (I think I have over 150 of them or something). They're not classics, by any means, but I used to love reading them.

Re: Winnie the Pooh lyrics

By the magic of Google search...

I found it on youtube!

:lol: Thank you both - you have made my morning!

Re: Books/fanzines of a teenage obesession

I implore you to keep them - I got rid of a lot of teen stuff (kept my diaries though lol) because I felt I'd moved on, now I wish I still had the fanzines and the pictures I drew etc.

Yeah, that's what I thought too: I devoted so much of my life to the Manics that it seems a shame to throw all that stuff out. I still like reading some of the 'zines! (I wrote for some and did my own too :roll:)

I have kept all my Baby-Sitter's Club book though :) ... They're not classics, by any means, but I used to love reading them.

I used to read them, too! I loved them. I even named my guinea pig after Kristy! :D (I just liked the name, really) I remember being so sad when Louie (Kristy's dog) died and they played "Louie, Louie" when they buried him... I can't believe I still remember this stuff!

i still have all my childhood books too. Enid Blytons (Noddy, The Magic Faraway Tree books, The Secret Seven), Roald Dahls, lot's of classics and a few point books amongst others.

I have recently thought about buying the set of winnie the poohs and beatrix potters (for Katie of course).

Yeah, that's what I thought too: I devoted so much of my life to the Manics that it seems a shame to throw all that stuff out. I still like reading some of the 'zines! (I wrote for some and did my own too :()

I think more than anything I would like to have had them to show my daughter - I'm very conscious of how different things are now with the new technologies compared to the late 70's (my teenage decade) when things were very rough and ready - I used to get the Buzzcocks fanzine and started writing to a boy in America who'd advertised on the penfriend page.

I have recently thought about buying the set of winnie the poohs and beatrix potters (for Katie of course).

I did exactly the same when my daughter was born.

I have a huge Walt Disney compendium with gorgeous illustrations - my aunty bought it for me when I was 5 - it's very precious.

...I used to get the Buzzcocks fanzine and started writing to a boy in America who'd advertised on the penfriend page.

Aww I love The Buzzcocks! I was really into punk (the good stuff from the '70s, I hasten to add :() when I was 15/16 and they were one of my favourites.

I had quite a few penfriends too! We'd all end up meeting each other at gigs. Ah, happy days...

This is so funny! I thought I was the only one! I kept all of my Babysitters Club books for a really long time, until I finally took a deep breath and gave them all to my boyfriend's younger sister (she's 14 years younger than he). I also have a few old comics collections, like Bloom County, Outland, and Calvin and Hobbes. This is more embarrassing, but I've recently started collecting For Better Or For Worse collections. It never ends!:(

I also have a few old comics collections, like Bloom County, Outland, and Calvin and Hobbes. This is more embarrassing, but I've recently started collecting For Better Or For Worse collections. It never ends!:(

Story Time:

When I was a little boy (oh, around 1962 I'd guess), I visited my Aunt and Uncle. To my eyes they were very old.

To keep me occupied while the adults chatted, I got sat down to a scrapbook. One of them had painstakingly cut out each Lil Abner comic out of the newspaper every day and taped it to a scrapbook! I got to read three years (as I recall) of this comic strip all in one sitting!

How cool is that?

This is way before collections (we are so spoiled).

I believe that I read Little Orphan Annie and Pogo also, though Pogo was kinda hard to follow. They were the episodic strips where stories were told over an arc of time. Way fun.

:blush:Totally guilty of this.

I bought "The Secret Garden" by Frances Hodgson Burnett and all the Winnie The Pooh books.

And Andrew Lang's Fairy Tale books ("The Lilac Fairy Tale Book" "The Blue Fairy Tale Book" etc)

I have two small children but they don't like them. I do.