An introduction and an invitation

skribe

Hi:

I'm skribe.  I mostly read science-fiction, although I also like the occasional fantastical piece or spy/crime thrillers.  Stereotypical boy stuff, I suppose, but it keeps me busy =).  I prefer genres that challenge me intellectually.

I'm looking forward to chatting not just about the genre of ideas, but literature in general. There's so much available and so much to learn.  So, what do you like?  And why?

Cheers,

skribe

Hi skribe, welcome to BCF. This site has really broadened my taste in books, you can see the range of stuff I read on my thread. I have started to really get into crime fiction and like authors like Jo Nesbo, Henning Mankell and Asa Larsson. Like I said, I do read a wide range of stuff though from sci-fi to Russian literature but I still have to delve into the world of fantasy books.

Welcome here :)!

Science-fiction is one of my favourite genres. What kind of authors / books do you like in the science-fiction genre? Some authors I like are Peter F. Hamilton, Arthur C. Clarke, Iain M. Banks, Joe Haldeman, Dan Simmons, and more. Some that are still on my shelf unread: Isaac Asimov, Neal Asher, Alastair Reynolds, and more.

I like fantasy, science-fiction, contemporary fiction and chick-lit. Other genres I like include literature / classics, horror, detectives / mystery, paranormal (ie. vampires), thrillers (lately I'm not really into thrillers as much as I used to be).

I prefer to read a mixture between books that are more intellectual / complex vs. books that are easier to read. Especially when I'm tired it's much easier to read a 'simpler' book. I also prefer a mixture between 'realistic' and 'non-realistic' books, ie. contemporary fiction, things that happen quite a bit all over the world, vs. space ships or medevil castles and swords etc.

I don't read a lot of non-fiction though lately I'm reading more of it on my Kindle (most books I read are paperbacks).

Hello! :welcome2:

Although I haven't read many, I have enjoyed most of the spy novels I have read (except the Bond novels, despite loving the films) - can you recommend some books or authors I should try?  I've found it difficult to know where to start, as they tend to get mixed up with crime and thriller novels, but I'm not a fan of detective and crime stories generally.  I'm a bit fussy as I don't like anything too violent, but I like the intrigue, mystery and deception in spy fiction.

Edited by chesilbeach