Neil Gaiman

I have found specific books listed on the forum by Neil Gaiman but I have not found a thread devoted to "everything" Neil Gaiman. So, I have started one as he certainly deserves it.

I believe that of the books by him that I have read so far, my two favorites are, "The Graveyard" which is by far my favorite and one that I have just finished reading, "The Ocean at the End of the Lane".

Stardust is next on my Neil Gaiman TBR list.

Any fans here of Neil Gaiman :). I believe there is at least one fan.

Neil Gaiman is one of my favourite authors. Like you, my most favourite is The Graveyard (and I have you to thank for the recommendation) I haven't yet read his latest The Ocean At the End of the Lane but it's definitely on my TBR soon list! I loved Stardust, it would be my second favourite but I also very much enjoyed Coraline and The Anansi Boys (which I own thanks to a BCF prize). I've also read his collection of short stories Fragile Things.

I've read Stardust, Good Omens and American Gods and they were all really good. He seems like a really nice person too, has anybody read any of his blogs?

I thought Neverwhere was good, but I wasn't so keen on American Gods for some reason.  Maybe on re-read :shrug:

Although I really enjoyed American Gods, there was definitely something about it that made me not really love the book. I think it was the fact that there's a couple of random chapters in there that didn't ever get explained. I know this would have been intentional, but I find that kind of thing a bit frustrating in books.

I haven't read his blogs but I follow him on Facebook. He seems like a really nice guy. He's doing a signing in the Netherlands in August but unfortunately it's bad timing for me so I don't think I can go.

I've read a few Gaiman, (The Graveyard book, Coraline, Odd and the Frost Giants, Stardust, Neverwhere) and have the rest on my TBR pile, except Ocean at the End of the Lane. They're so imaginative and enjoyable. I've heard American Gods is his best so i'm looking forward to that.

Has anyone read his graphic novel 'Sandman'? Supposed to be good but I wasn't keen on the illustration style.

I thought Neverwhere was good, but I wasn't so keen on American Gods for some reason.  Maybe on re-read :shrug:

I have read:

Ocean at the End of the Lane

Neverwhere

Anansi Boys

American Gods

Odd and the Frost Giants

The Graveyard Book

Coraline

For me, American Gods was also my least favorite but I did enjoy it somewhat. Other than that I really enjoyed all of the others very much with "special" likes of "The Graveyard Book".

Stardust will be my next read of his.

My thanks to Poppy for initially recommending this author to me. That alone has made my membership in the forum very worthwhile.

(Wow, been quite a while since I was last here. Hello all!)

I loved Good Omens (co-written with Terry Pratchett), and it has slowly become my goal in life to recommend it to everyone I meet haha. I liked what I've read of Stardust, but I got halfway through it when life happened and I haven't gotten back to it yet. Mostly I've read his Sandman stuff, which is a great series in my opinion. I love Gaiman's world-building, and I think he has a great style for writing about fantastical elements. I like the fairy-tale sort of voice he often uses. :)

I also read a short story he did based on Snow White called Snow, Glass, Apple a while back. It was a sort of Wicked-esque story from the Queen's point of view, except a lot darker. It was pretty interesting.

Anyone seen some of his work in other media? I liked the film he made with Dave McKean called MirrorMask, even if it was a bit flawed. I think there was also a TV version of Neverwhere before he wrote the book, but I don't know much about it.

Has anyone read his graphic novel 'Sandman'? Supposed to be good but I wasn't keen on the illustration style.

Personally I really enjoy Sandman, even though I've taken some issue with the art style as well. I've liked the style of some artists that worked on the series, but they change their artists around so often that there've also been styles that bugged me. It's set in a fascinating world, and I really like what Gaiman does with his idea of the 'Endless'. It's a fairly long series, so some parts of it aren't quite as good as others, but it has had some brilliant story archs. Also, whatever the art style of a particular issue, the overall composition tends to flow very well visually, so it isn't usually too bothersome.

I think there was also a TV version of Neverwhere before he wrote the book, but I don't know much about it.

Personally I really enjoy Sandman, even though I've taken some issue with the art style as well. I've liked the style of some artists that worked on the series, but they change their artists around so often that there've also been styles that bugged me. It's set in a fascinating world, and I really like what Gaiman does with his idea of the 'Endless'. It's a fairly long series, so some parts of it aren't quite as good as others, but it has had some brilliant story archs. Also, whatever the art style of a particular issue, the overall composition tends to flow very well visually, so it isn't usually too bothersome.

I watched Neverwhere before reading the book, it was good but very low budget. All the concepts are there just terrible costumes and set designs. I remember hearing something about a film or another series adaptation... but nothing for a while.

I might give Sandman a proper chance at some point then. :)

I love Gaiman. Especially American Gods, Neverwhere and Anansi Boys are right up my alley. Coraline and Stardust are pretty good too, and even spawned two very decent films.

The Graveyard book I found kinda forgettable, really.

I just ordered The Ocean at the End of the Lane. It sounded a bit darker than his usual stuff, but I'm looking forward to it.

I've got one volume of Sandmand, and got through the eComics quite a bit farther. But sadly at some point my PC broke down and I lost my space about half-way through it all. I've never been able to get into it again afterwards. The whole thing is just so massive, and I didn't want to start from the beginning. I also don't like the artwork at all. But then, I usually can't stand anything but the modern age of comic.

• 2 weeks later...

I only recently read my first Neil Gaiman, which was Coraline. I thought that was excellent, so I'm reading American Gods now. It looks like that has had some mixed reviews here.

He has a new book for children coming out next month. It's called Fortunately, the Milk. I was lucky enough to hear him read part of it live (with clever musical accompaniment) and it sounded awesome. It's for a younger audience than Coraline, but I plan on getting it anyway. He left us hanging and I want to know what happens!

I've only read The Graveyard Book (and loved it) but I do have several of his other books

The Graveyard Book was my favorite but I really liked most all of his books that I have read. I have read all his books that our library carries, now I will have to start buying the books. :smile:

What did you think of The Ocean at the End of the Lane, Muggles? Haven't got round to that one yet.

I really enjoyed "Oceans At The End of the Lane" although not near as much as Graveyard. Oceans is currently ranked as the 9th most popular book here in Greensboro, North Carolina.

LOL, I had to buy Oceans as the library didn't have it yet. :smile:

Have started Stardust tonight along with Throttle by Joe Hill/Stephen King

Edited by muggle not

Went to a talk and signing with Neil Gaiman today at Ely Cathedral. Beautiful building and brilliant talk. He did readings from both Ocean at the End of the Lane and Fortunately, the Milk and answered some questions. He talks very much like he writes. Two choice Q&As:

Q - What profession would you want to be in if you weren't a writer?

A - A Professional Religion Designer (with a brief explanation as to how this would work)

Q - What are your biggest fears?

A - *nonchalantly* You know, the same as everyone... something bad happening to my Wife... something bad happening to my Kids...being on the Underground and my eyeballs liquefying in their sockets and seeping out onto the floor like giant tears.

Can't wait to hear what you think of Stardust, Muggles :readingtwo:

I thought Stardust was a great book with a great story. As of all his books the writing was very good. Unlike some people the book doesn't have to be very complex to provide enjoyment to me. A book that has great imagination is more important to me and Stardust was a book that had "untold' :smile: imagination.

Bottom line, I loved the book and rank it in the top 3 or so of his books that I have read. :readingtwo:

I thought Stardust was a great book with a great story. As of all his books the writing was very good. Unlike some people the book doesn't have to be very complex to provide enjoyment to me. A book that has great imagination is more important to me and Stardust was a book that had "untold' :smile: imagination.

Bottom line, I loved the book and rank it in the top 3 or so of his books that I have read. :readingtwo:

Really glad you enjoyed it so much Muggles. I thought it was a delightful story and it's probably my second favourite of his after The Graveyard Book.