Richard & Judy's Summer Read 2007

Liz

I didn't know that, Janet! Is that how you ended up studying for your A Level, because of how your reading changed after joining the forum? That's really interesting! :)

Yes and no! :D

Before I had my children, I mostly read detective novels and Dick Francis ( :roll: ), then when they were born I found I didn't have an awful lot of time to read, so I switched to chick lit.

However, I've always loved reading and I love people and would love to work in a library. About 3 years ago, two jobs came up which would have been *perfect* for me - library assistant, one at Bath Uni and one at Bath Spa Uni, so term time only. However, they stipulated that applicants must have GCSE Maths and English. The maths wasn't a problem - I got a grade B about 5 years ago (I was a 'naughty' girl at school - not in behaviour as such, but because I did no revision and put no effort into my CSEs and therefore failed the lot!), but I hadn't got the English, so I signed up for GCSE English Language two years ago and got an A*.

I loved the course so much, and read Of Mice and Men (which I really enjoyed) and Shakespeare's Othello (which I adored) together with many excerpts from other literature.

When I discovered that the same 'teacher' was doing AS I signed up, because she's so enthusiastic and such fun! This was after I was a member here, but before I was so active on the forum, however, the forum has definitely expanded my reading matter, and that can only have helped with the AS Level (hopefully!). :lol:

Ah, that's a great story! And I picked up on this...

When I discovered that the same 'teacher' was doing AS I signed up, because she's so enthusiastic and such fun!

...Enthusiastic teachers are sooooo important - I pretty much owe everything I've achieved to two of mine (both English teachers, naturally :roll:).

Having almost finished The Memory Keepers Daughter, I would say to anyone please don't dismiss it because it's a R&J book, as I have found it a beautifully written book.

Obviously it won't suit everyone, but if it does appeal to you, don't let the R&J sticker put you off. :roll:

i really enjoyed the memory keepers daughter too-

i like those lists, at least they give you something to think about, i agree with whoever it was who said that if it encourages reading it's got to be a good thing-i'm paraphrasing obviously-i'm a bit of a technophobe and am scared of the quote thing!

i think they've picked really good books- like other people have said, the time travellers wife(loved it), lovely bones, and 'the Star of the Sea'-fantastic read -i really loved it, and i don't think it's just cause i'm irish,anyway, am babbling now

keep up the good work R and J!!!!!!

i really enjoyed the memory keepers daughter too-

i like those lists, at least they give you something to think about, i agree with whoever it was who said that if it encourages reading it's got to be a good thing-i'm paraphrasing obviously-i'm a bit of a technophobe and am scared of the quote thing!

The quote thing is easy - honest! :( All you do is click on quote and it will quote the whole post. If you only want a little bit of it, just make sure what you are quoting starts with:

[ quote=person you are quoting's name and the number ]

and ends with:

[ /quote]

(without the spaces I've left after the [ - if I didn't put the space in, then what I'd typed would have appeared as a quote box!)

I'm waiting for my Mum to read The Memory Keeper's Daughter - but at the moment, she's reading a book about Mary Wesley for her bookworms group so I'm having to be patient!

I've nearly finished The House at Riverton - I have to say, I'm really enjoying it!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm reading along with the R&J books for the first time (unfortunately I set the video incorrectly on Wednesday night and missed the discussion). I'm now reading The House at Riverton and it's excellent.

The Memory Keeper's Daughter was a bit slow, but I still thought it a reasonable read, and Relentless was all a bit far-fetched, but again an ok read.

The Memory Keeper's Daughter was a bit slow, but I still thought it a reasonable read,

Yep, I think that it's going to be a book you either love, or find slow. I can get a little bored with slower books, but I actually really enjoyed this one.

My sis has recently read Memory Keeper's Daughter for her book group and she enjoyed it. Think she mentioned a bit harrowing in places but is worth a read. She is keeping it for me to read (eventually!!!)

One of my colleagues has loaned me The Memory Keeper's Daughter, after reading and enjoying it herself, so I guess I'll be getting to that shortly (after Dracula and The Name of the Rose!).

• 1 month later...

I was having a quick look on Amazon at their best selling crime/mystery/thriller section and I noticed that Simon Kernick has 1 book in the 10 and another 3 in the top 50.

His book Relentless is part of the Richard & Judy book club. I only bought this book because it was on sale at Tesco's in their fiction chart (not because of their recommendation). Would it have been in the fiction chart without their backing - probably not so I would never have picked it up.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and immediately added all his previous books onto my wish list as Amazon. It seems I'm not the only one by the way his sales are going for his older books.

So not only have Richard & Judy given him a real booston sales with this book but it has also has had a massive impact on his back catalogue too.