Good Afternoon

ChrisD

Afternoon All,

I'm Chris and I'm 22 years old. I haven't been much of a reader throughout my life, probably having not read a school related book since I was around 9 or 10 but I've decided to start cutting down the amount of TV I watch as well as giving up video games completely. With the spare time I've regained from that I've used it to start reading.

I managed to pick up reading again by getting engrossed in a Children's book called Wonder, this really reignited my senses for reading and since I read that I've managed to read another 5 books in the last 6 weeks.

I'm now trying to work out which books I want to read and those which I am just planning to reading because I have got them cheap from the Kindle app. Recently I've read Gone Girl, Down in New Orleans, The Last Policeman and the second book in the Dexter series (one of the few TV series I still watch) and next on my hit list is The Great Gatsby.

I'm looking to start reading a book a week and I'd like to start getting into non-fiction as well. I think that's going to be a bit more hard going than fiction though for a relatively new reader but I have three of books in my list of next 8 to read which are non-fiction so I will see how that goes.

Welcome here :)! Good luck with your reading, I wish you lots of fun :). Gone Girl is on my bookshelf, I haven't read it yet, the same for The Great Gatsby. I hope you like them! Hopefully you can find some nice recommendations here. What kind of subjects are you interested in, for non-fiction?

Welcome here :)! Good luck with your reading, I wish you lots of fun :). Gone Girl is on my bookshelf, I haven't read it yet, the same for The Great Gatsby. I hope you like them! Hopefully you can find some nice recommendations here. What kind of subjects are you interested in, for non-fiction?

Gone Girl was a little strange one for me, around half way through it started turning into a big of a slog but I am glad that I persevered with it as it did end well. I'll be looking forward to seeing the film when that is out in the next couple of years.

In terms of non-fiction I'm mainly interested in History, well I'd like to be. I've not really read much of anything yet as you can tell from my opening post but of the 3 books on my non-fiction list 2 of them are history related. Empires of the Sea: The Final battle for the Mediterranean 1521-1580 by Roger Crowley and A History of the World by Andrew Marr.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

Hi Frankie, thanks  :smile:!

Hello Chris! Welcome to BCF :welcome2:

Sounds like you've made a great start with your reading. :D

Thanks, look forward to keeping it up  :smile:.

What is the recommended practice for discussing books here? For instance I've just updated the July thread but I'm not sure exactly how much I can say about a book for the risk of spoilers. I have read the rules and FAQ but there doesn't seem to be any mention of that in there.

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum, i also have Gone Girl on my TBR pile it certainly seems to get mixed reviews. One of my daughters read it & she said she didn't really get into it till about halfway through & then she really enjoyed it  :smile:

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum :) Gone Girl seems to be a popular choice for people, I think I will be giving it a read. Have you read any books recently that you would recommend?

As I've only read 5 books in the last few weeks and before that nothing for about 10 years then it's hard for me to know if what I've been reading is any good in the grand scheme of things but I did enjoy The Last Policeman by Ben Winters which has just had a sequel released of Countdown City.

It's a pre-apocalypse set novel where the main character is one of the few remaining people who are trying to enforce the law, made for a very good non-standard apocalypse related book.

Hello and welcome! :)

Thanks, Hi!

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum, i also have Gone Girl on my TBR pile it certainly seems to get mixed reviews. One of my daughters read it & she said she didn't really get into it till about halfway through & then she really enjoyed it  :smile:

That surprises me as I was almost the opposite as up until halfway there's a very big mystery around the story but as things start to fall into place it does become a little more predictable, but still very enjoyable.

In the Reading Circle topics there will be spoilers, in any other topics people have to put [ spoiler ] tags around their spoilers, so the spoiler can only be seen when clicked on.

OK, thanks, I'l try to bear that in mind.

Hey all welcome to all newbies. 

Keep :)

Thanks  :smile:

Hi Chris. That sounds interesting, so it is certainly on my to read list. When I read what entered then Judge Dredd come straight to mind. 

I've not read anything around Judge Dredd or much of any comic stuff really but after reading his Wiki page it looks like a really interesting concept so will see if I can find some of them cheap or maybe even watch last years film. It does seem similar to The Last Policeman though like you say, obviously with it being more reality based than the Judge Dredd series.