Jogging Diary

frankie

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gosh, it has been ages! I came down with a flu after ^ the previous post and of course had to then quit my jogging for a while. I've only managed to get back on track today. It's been a hot day (about 24 degrees, which is a lot as it's been a very mild summer so far!) but I managed anyway. And it felt so good! :wub: I didn't continue straight where I'd left off, I went back a little and did 3+3 with 3 minutes of walking in between. 

I went out for a run yesterday which was the hottest day of the year. Running in hot weather isn't as bad as people make out, you just need to go a little slower and be aware that running for more than 30-40 mins without drinking water isn't a good move. I was sweating like a pig when I was finished though :giggle2:

:lol: And here I was, coming to say that I won't do my jog today as it's the hottest day of the summer over here :D I think I've run on equally hot days before, a few times, but I'm just not tempted at all today. It's going to cool down slightly by tomorrow so I'll give it a go then. Although, now that I've said I'm not doing it, who knows if I change my mind. I would definitely carry a water bottle though.

How hot was it over there?

My 7 year old great-grandson has qualified for the (Nationals) AAU Junior Olympics. He competed in the 8 year old and under category and ran a 6:07 in the 1500 meters. Pretty good for a 7 year old. He is the son of my granddaughter that ran in the Boston Marathon.

I'm finally back on track. Not only did I have to doggy-sit last week, but I also visited some relatives and went on a dateYesterday I did the 4+4 minutes, the third and last session of week four, and today I did the 5+4 minutes. 5 minutes wasn't bad, thankfully. And I tried not to look at the time as much, because soon enough I'll have to jog for a full 10 minutes and I can't go into that thinking about the time. I'll have to occupy my mind in other ways, otherwise it'll seem so much longer. When I was jogging the 4 minutes, the first time I checked to see where I was at, I was at 3 minutes 45 seconds, and I thought wow! Almost did the whole thing without even realizing it :smile2: 

I was in an absolutely crappy mood today. Yesterday I decided that I'm taking the day off jogging, but today I figured jogging's probably the only thing that can cheer me up. And it did. I'm still amazed how great it makes me feel. Why did I ever stop?? I did 6+5 minutes. Next jog is the first long one, 10 minutes. 

I wasn't sure if I'd be up for jogging today, what with flatmate moving out and landlord and family moving in and all the hassle, but then I realized it's actually the best time to go, as I can get away from things that way. I was a bit nervous about having to jog for a full 10 minutes, but I kept thinking, I did 6 + 5 yesterday, with only 2 minutes of walking in between, so surely I can manage. And I did. It was a big milestone for me, and now I feel more confident about being able to do the rest :smile2: 

• 2 weeks later...

I did 6 + 5 minutes yesterday and it was hard! My body and legs felt so heavy and for the first time during my sessions this year I thought I might not make it. When I was jogging and feeling really heavy, I remembered that the last time I jogged I'd actually thought about how I hadn't yet had a really tough one, where I didn't think I would manage, and that those jogs will surely come at some point. That so far it had been rather easy. Well, this session was one of those tough ones and I just had to suck it and go on. I slowed down my pace a bit. The five minute was a bit easier than the six minute. 

In a way these tough ones are the important ones: you have to power through them and remember that next time might be easier again. 

7 + 6 minutes today. It was easier than yesterday, as I didn't feel 'heavy' today, but breathing-wise it was more of a struggle. I was short of breath and had to slow down a bit. I think it might be due to my allergies, I've been sneezing more these days. 

Next time I'm going to jog for 12 minutes, and then I'm half way done through the program :devcat: 

Thanks chalie! :smile2: 

I did the 12 minutes today. I didn't realize it was raining until I got outside, and I only had a T-shirt and my training shorts, and I just knew I might get cold if I did the usual walk after the jog, too, so I decided I'd just do the jog and walk back. I even started the jog before the point where I usually start, and thus ended up jogging on asphalt... I know that's not recommended, but I think it was good that I did it because now I know that it won't be a problem, I can jog on asphalt, too. Who knows what kind of a neighborhood I will move into in the hopefully near future and I might not have the luxury of a near by woods to run around. 

Lungs worked better than yesterday, maybe because of the rain. All in all it was a pretty good jog, not my easiest but not my worst, either. Other people that I saw walking by had coats on them and umbrellas and I felt a bit silly for only having a T-shirt... But then I saw two other joggers, who also had T-shirts only :) It's funny how I now sort of feel like they are all my kindred spirits :D It's not like I say hello to them or anything, but in my head I tell them 'hello, have you noticed that I, too, am jogging?' :lol: 

Half way through the program  :b7ydance:

I always find it better to under dress slightly for all physical activities as its horrible feeling over heated and reduces energy output. I'm sure you soon warmed up? How lovely that you can run in woodland. I hope you watch out for tree roots! :o

I knackered my knees running on concrete and track which wasn't the lovely bouncy stuff they have now.. Now if I run (which isn't often) I stick to grass or mud/sandy paths. Some running on paths won't do much harm as long as you wear cushioned running shoes, again something that was lacking in the 80's.. On my budget anyhow! :)

I always find it better to under dress slightly for all physical activities as its horrible feeling over heated and reduces energy output. I'm sure you soon warmed up? How lovely that you can run in woodland. I hope you watch out for tree roots! :o

Me, too, especially since I get hot rather easily. If you're feeling too hot even before you've started, it ain't gonna be good! Yeah I warmed up as soon as I started jogging, and didn't get too cold by the end, either. Had a shower really soon afterwards and put on layers of clothes to keep warm. Mama's knitted woolly socks, too :D 

There's a path or rather a road (unpaved) in the woods so I don't have to watch out for tree roots, thank goodness! I can be a really clumsy person so I don't need any extra distractions :D 

I knackered my knees running on concrete and track which wasn't the lovely bouncy stuff they have now.. Now if I run (which isn't often) I stick to grass or mud/sandy paths. Some running on paths won't do much harm as long as you wear cushioned running shoes, again something that was lacking in the 80's.. On my budget anyhow! :)

I think sandy paths demand extra energy, they are more difficult to run on and that can add a bit of excitement to one's routine :) Back in Joensuu, in the near by woods I ran around, there was a road and then a specific saw dust jogging path. I tried the saw dust path once and I didn't like it at all :D It was so weird! 

I need to get back into doing a bit of running. I went from a fairly base level of fitness to running a marathon in twelve weeks, but have done sod all in the year and a bit that has followed. Feel like I might need to sign up for another one to get me motivated.

Good luck with the rest of the programme, it is always surprising how quickly the body begins to develop and improve on these types of schedules.

Thanks tdfn :) You're right, it's surprising how your body can adapt to new things if you give them a try :)  I would heartily recommend you take up jogging again :smile2: It's such an energy boost! And if you do, please feel free to talk about it in this thread! :) 

I want to go jogging but I can´t, I started a few months ago but when I went 3 or 4 times, I start to felt pain in one of my knees, always the same knee! And I don´t know whay, I have the correct trainers and I stretch after the exercise. It´s a bit frustrating :(.

You have been doing great Sari, keep it up. I've been sticking to my maintenance schedule of running 5km a few times a week. It was 3 times a week up until recently when I dropped it to twice a week and spent the extra session swimming instead.