Jogging Diary

frankie

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm scrubbing clean the floor of my entire apartment, on my bloody knees (pun intended), that counts as exercise, right? :D

Yesterday I found this abandoned, poor stretchy rubber ... stretcher, which I bought a few years ago but found it too short... I tried it yesterday and it was actually pretty good. I'm now intending to make use of it when watching Criminal Minds. I've come to the conclusion that I really ought not to watch anything sitting down.. It's best to stand up and move about.

Edit: Latex Rubber Exercise Band or summat!

Edit2: Latex Rubber... Redundant, much? :D But I promise, that's what it says on google.

Edited by frankie

• 4 weeks later...

Bad news.... my GD ruptured her plantar fascia in the right foot. Tore the tissue/ligament 80%. She had to wear a removable air cast (boot) for 3 weeks and will be in recuperation  for about 3 months. She didn't say but I guess it will be the end of her plans for running the Boston Marathon this year. It is sad as she really, really, enjoys running.

Awwww :( that's so sad. I hope she gets well soon.

We've bought a hometrainer and I've been on it almost every day, I keep increasing the level of resistance to see what I can handle. So far I'm quite pleased with the progress :).

Bad news.... my GD ruptured her plantar fascia in the right foot. Tore the tissue/ligament 80%. She had to wear a removable air cast (boot) for 3 weeks and will be in recuperation  for about 3 months. She didn't say but I guess it will be the end of her plans for running the Boston Marathon this year. It is sad as she really, really, enjoys running.

Ouch, any strain of the plantar fascia is extremely painful so I can't even begin to imagine how much rupturing it hurts. I wish her a speedy recovery.

That's awful news, muggle not :( I hope she recovers soon!

Not doing jogging, although I could because we have no snow... My running shoes could take it! But I don't have a suitable coat :rolleyes: I did some Zumba this week, though, and have been doing walks.

• 3 weeks later...

x

I haven't heard of Zumba before, so I googled it. It seems some kind of dance-fitness?

Sorry, I've only just noticed this! Yep, it's a rather energetic dance :) It's combined steps from different traditional dances, such as salsa, merengue, etc. If you search it on youtube, you'll find clips and you can get the idea what it's like :)

I haven't run for about 6 weeks now because I wanted to strengthen up my core and back so I have been concentrating on that. So far it seems to be working well but I am missing running a bit even though the weather has been miserable.

Sorry, I've only just noticed this! Yep, it's a rather energetic dance :) It's combined steps from different traditional dances, such as salsa, merengue, etc. If you search it on youtube, you'll find clips and you can get the idea what it's like :)

x

I've been cycling on our hometrainer though not always every day. It's going better and better I think :), it becomes easier.

I haven't run for about 6 weeks now because I wanted to strengthen up my core and back so I have been concentrating on that. So far it seems to be working well but I am missing running a bit even though the weather has been miserable.

They say the core's rather vital, so any strengthening of that will be beneficial :) How long will you keep up with this, when do you think you're going to start running again?

I've been cycling on our hometrainer though not always every day. It's going better and better I think :), it becomes easier.

You're lucky to have one of those at home! :) Keep going :)

The weather's warmer now, so I'm going to take up walking again. I did some wii fit stuff for 27 minutes yesterday and went for a 30 minute walk, and I did another 30 minute walk today. I had to go to the grocerystore so I convinced myself I might just as well walk around the woods while I'm out. Clever idea it was, I saw loads of dogs! :smile2:

• 3 weeks later...

They say the core's rather vital, so any strengthening of that will be beneficial :) How long will you keep up with this, when do you think you're going to start running again?

I don't know. At the moment I am really enjoying the workouts I am doing and slowly I can see my body composition changing. When the summer starts approaching I'll be going out on my bike a lot more so i may start running then if I get the yearning for it.

I don't know. At the moment I am really enjoying the workouts I am doing and slowly I can see my body composition changing. When the summer starts approaching I'll be going out on my bike a lot more so i may start running then if I get the yearning for it.

Sounds good. I guess it's a pretty ideal situation that you can start running when you feel like it, because at the moment you're doing something else that you are really enjoying. It certainly beats having to start something because one feels like one ought to.

I've been busy with other stuff, so haven't been exercising all that much, but I did go skiing today, for the first time in 15 years. I didn't trip over or anything! :exc: I only managed 15 minutes, but that was the initial goal. I'm so out of shape that it was really hard going for me :D

Was the skiing inspired by the Olympics?

Not really, which is odd. I've been thinking about skiing every now and then for a while. I was just thinking about outdoors activities I could do with my cousin's little kid, and Mum mentioned skiing and then I just said 'let's do this now!'.

Are there snow and mountains in your area, Frankie, that you can ski, or did you go to an indoors thing?

We do cross-country skiing so one doesn't need any mountains :) There are no mountains in Finland. And we do have snow where I live :)

I even went for another 20 minute ski spurt later on yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nope, unfortunately! Funny you should ask,... Because I liked skiing in Nurmes, and Mom said that they had extra skiis and ski boots (or what do you call them), so I could take some to Joensuu with me, and I was going to. I was very excited about the prospect of taking up skiing here, what with the woods so close to me, with pathways for skiiers... But then we checked the weather forecast for the following week and it was getting so warm that we thought the snow would probably melt away, so no use taking the skiis with me to Joensuu :(

And yep, the snow melted. The weather has been May-like for over a month now, it's been a very nice spring for us. I've been actually thinking about starting jogging :exc: Unfortunately it's not yet warm enough for me to go jogging without a jacket, and I don't own a suitable jacket, and I can't afford to buy one at the moment... So I'm waiting for the weather to get warmer.

I've also found a new jogging program that I thought I might try... It's speedier than the one I've used before. That one took three months, this one takes one month only. I don't know if I would have the patience for the 3 month program...

On another, related note: I've managed to lose 6 kilos this year :) I'm pretty happy about that!

Edited by frankie

My GD recuperated from the injury and is well enough that she is going to run in the Boston Marathon.........from my GD:

1 week to go till the Boston marathon!!!! I'm ready to be strong! My bib number
is XXXX if you want to follow me. Go to Boston marathon website and you enter my
bib number and can get updates to ur cell phone or email as I cross timing mats
on the course! Monday April 21st! I'm in wave 1 corral 9! Starting with all the
elite fast runners! Yikes! :)

Wish me luck!
Tiff

Edited by muggle not

GD's finish results at the Boston Marathon. GD finished in the top 3.5% of all female runners (557 out of 16092) in the Boston and in the top 14.33% of all runners (5102 out of 35671). WOO-HOO.
Edited by muggle not