Jogging Diary

frankie

My GD ran in a 200 mile relay race recently from Cumberland, Maryland to National Harbor, DC. The relay team she was on (total of 12 people)came in second place. She ran a total of 18+ miles in the relay in different stages. This is a video of some of the run featuring GD's team.

Edited by muggle not

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to share part of an email my GD sent me this evening, don't usually do this but I consider it an exception. :)

From my GD:

I might do Hood to Coast next year. That's out in the west coast. It's another 200 mile relay type race. It's very prestigious hard to get into. My racing team got in now to decide if I want to run it or not!

Did I tell you I qualified for Boston and will be running that marathon in April. I had a fast qualifying time so I got to sign up the first day! I'm running the fastest times of my life this year! I love it. Got to do it now while I'm still young.

My GD ran in a 200 mile relay race recently from Cumberland, Maryland to National Harbor, DC. The relay team she was on (total of 12 people)came in second place. She ran a total of 18+ miles in the relay in different stages. This is a video of some of the run featuring GD's team.

I am going to share part of an email my GD sent me this evening, don't usually do this but I consider it an exception. :)

From my GD:

I might do Hood to Coast next year. That's out in the west coast. It's another 200 mile relay type race. It's very prestigious hard to get into. My racing team got in now to decide if I want to run it or not!

Did I tell you I qualified for Boston and will be running that marathon in April. I had a fast qualifying time so I got to sign up the first day! I'm running the fastest times of my life this year! I love it. Got to do it now while I'm still young.

You'll be SO proud Muggles :)

That's amazing muggle. I've been reading a lot about these really long ultra marathons which are run either entirely or as part of a relay team. They always sound like such an amazing experience.

I'm still running two or three times a week with the last 700m run in my new zero drop shoes which mean I can practice running on my forefoot. Ive also been doing a lot of foot strenghtening work and when I am warming up I can already feel loads more spring off of my toes..

Thanks Poppy, Athena, and Brian, appreciate. The 200 mile relay next year on the West Coast would mean a 2500 mile plane trip for her to get there. I am betting that she will participate. :)

The Boston Marathon, as you probably know, is somewhat difficult to qualify for as there are so many runners that want to participate from all over the world. I am hoping she does well again this year if she in fact runs in it. She will have to do a lot of training as the race isn't that far off.

Edited by muggle not

Can I offer some advice Kreader?

If you want to try jogging I would suggest following a couch-to-5k plan. They start off with say 30 seconds of jogging followed by walking for a minute which is repeated a number of times. Over the weeks the length of time spent jogging increases and the number of walking breaks reduce. It can feel slow going at first but it ensures that you don't do too much too soon as this often leads to injury.

There are loads of smartphone apps which give you audio prompts as to when to run and when to walk and I used one of these when I started running. I went for a plan which gave me a set time to run for rather than a distance as pace varies between people.

Thanks Brian,

I have seen some of the coucht-to-5K plans.  I do intend to try it out.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for not being around, I've felt so crap about not doing anything that I've wanted to ignore the whole thread :blush:

We've now got snow, I don't have the appropriate shoes, but I'm thinking I'm going to start walking. I finally found a great winter jacket and I'll go for a walk later after dinner :) Pick up the pace...

If you're ever free at 9am UK time, feel free to join me for a pooch walk ladies. :)

That is 11 AM Finnish time... I wil have to try and remember that! :) I liked the idea of going for a walk with Eleonora :D I might've been bad company, though, I was listening to the radio :D I walked along the river, I haven't done that in a while. I also did a bit of shopping so it wasn't a 'real walk'... But I was out for an hour! :)

Chalie, when I left my flat, the neighbors' dog was out, he rushed towards me, but I chickened out, again! Although neighbor was really friendly.. But they were chatting to someone else and I didn't want to interrupt. One of these days I'll chat the neighbors up and pet their dog... I'm sure they'd let me, they seem so nice :)

Edit: Chalie, have you seen the movie Strange Days? If you haven't, it's from the early 90s or so and is set at the turn of millennium, and they have this 'futuristic' gadget where they can put this sort of helmet on, and close their eyes, to watch a video, and it will feel like they are in the situation the video shows them. Like, if you shot this video of you on a walk, and you would look at Jojo and the streets and paths, you could send the video to me, and I would then see what you saw. I'd see Jojo walking in front of me etc etc :D I wish that was possible!

Edited by frankie

I was listening to music too!!! System of a Down because I read one of your post Frankie and I suddenly realized how long had been since I last listened to them :)

Hehe!! :D I hadn't listened to System of a Down in ages, either, but somehow I just suddenly felt I needed to listen to it. It's a great band :)

That is 11 AM Finnish time... I wil have to try and remember that! :) I liked the idea of going for a walk with Eleonora :D I might've been bad company, though, I was listening to the radio :D I walked along the river, I haven't done that in a while. I also did a bit of shopping so it wasn't a 'real walk'... But I was out for an hour! :)

Chalie, when I left my flat, the neighbors' dog was out, he rushed towards me, but I chickened out, again! Although neighbor was really friendly.. But they were chatting to someone else and I didn't want to interrupt. One of these days I'll chat the neighbors up and pet their dog... I'm sure they'd let me, they seem so nice :)

Edit: Chalie, have you seen the movie Strange Days? If you haven't, it's from the early 90s or so and is set at the turn of millennium, and they have this 'futuristic' gadget where they can put this sort of helmet on, and close their eyes, to watch a video, and it will feel like they are in the situation the video shows them. Like, if you shot this video of you on a walk, and you would look at Jojo and the streets and paths, you could send the video to me, and I would then see what you saw. I'd see Jojo walking in front of me etc etc :D I wish that was possible!

As long as you're moving it is exercise, and shopping definitely counts! I'm not sure how much I would walk if I didn't have dogs, I always find it strange walking without them, I normal even take one of them on the school run, usually Jojo as Obi isn't a big fan of busy places.

You should most definitely make an extra effort to talk with your neighbours, they sound lovely and you are lovely so what could possibly go wrong? Just a good morning and a hi pups to start with will do and then I'm sure you will start to chat soon.. Maybe pop a Christmas card around at some point?

Did I say one of my friends and neighbours have just got a black Labrador puppy? They've called him Parker and I've only seen pictures on Facebook so far but he looks adorable! :)

Steve and I always wanted to put a video camera on Honey as she was a monster for buggering off and we would loved to have known what she was up to! I know there are cameras now available that you attach to bike helmets etc, maybe I should look into getting one of them! :D

As long as you're moving it is exercise, and shopping definitely counts! I'm not sure how much I would walk if I didn't have dogs, I always find it strange walking without them, I normal even take one of them on the school run, usually Jojo as Obi isn't a big fan of busy places.

Yeah, I should count it as exercise of some sort... I have to remember I've been sick and it takes a while... I've been sick three months all together this year! :rolleyes: (I did go and take a peek at the skating rink when I was dropping off metal and glass recyclables... No ice, yet, unfortunately! I cannot wait to go ice skating :smile2: My favorite sport!)

You should most definitely make an extra effort to talk with your neighbours, they sound lovely and you are lovely so what could possibly go wrong? Just a good morning and a hi pups to start with will do and then I'm sure you will start to chat soon.. Maybe pop a Christmas card around at some point?

You're right, I have absolutely no idea why I always get so shy when I see them with the pup... I guess it's because I always think not everyone likes people who want to pet their dogs... My friend has a chihuahua and he's sick and tired of people stopping and wanting to pet him.. But that's no real excuse, because my neighbors seem really friendly. Well maybe I should say the other one seems really friendly. The other one seems kind of 'bleh' when I say hi to her. But I hardly ever see her, it's the nice one who I always see with the dog :)

Did I say one of my friends and neighbours have just got a black Labrador puppy? They've called him Parker and I've only seen pictures on Facebook so far but he looks adorable! :)

No you didn't! Awww I love labbies... :wub: Parker is a great name!! :) I was going through old photographs last week when I was at home-home, and I saw these pics of me, aged 10 or so, cuddling with our landlord's black lab, grinning from ear to ear... Oh he was a fine black lab... His name was Tassu, 'Paw' in English :)

Steve and I always wanted to put a video camera on Honey as she was a monster for buggering off and we would loved to have known what she was up to! I know there are cameras now available that you attach to bike helmets etc, maybe I should look into getting one of them! :D

:D The Strange Days thingy would've been great on her, you would've gotten to see where she got off to... :D Oh Honey, you were such a fine dog. Wiggle butt :smile2:

Edit: chalie, on my FB feed today, I said (in Finnish) that I really felt like I needed a doggy companion... A pal of mine said she was coming to town, having to clear her old place of stuff. She has a Shetland sheepdog, and she said we should try and see if our schedules are workable tomorrow... Unfortunately I'd already arranged some stuff with another pal, but I hope I get to meet the Sheltie! :)

Edited by frankie

I've been quite slack and haven't run for about 2 weeks now. I was quite ill a few weeks back and this past week I was in Holland and I spent all last night busy. I will run tonight though, I really need to shake off the cobwebs.

I've been quite slack and haven't run for about 2 weeks now. I was quite ill a few weeks back and this past week I was in Holland and I spent all last night busy. I will run tonight though, I really need to shake off the cobwebs.

It sucks being ill, but glad to hear you're better now! :) Hope you have a good run :)

Congrats on your walk, frankie, that's really good :)!

Thanks Athena! :) I think my next target wil be walking to the library later today...

The run was great and my pace was pretty strong considering I haven't run for a while. I can definitely feel that I have lost some sharpness and I struggled to control my form as much as I would have liked. I forgot how much I enjoy running on cold winter night and how great the christmas lights look in the gardens as I run by.