Jogging Diary

frankie

I was feeling a bit melancholic this morning and didn't feel like doing anything, and had to push myself to do some chores. I had to really push myself to go for the first jog as I'd planned, too. I don't know the area so I was worried I wouldn't know where to jog... This was also my first time jogging with a smartphone and it's a bit of a log to carry with me. The timer was difficult, too, as I would accidentally brush the screen and it would re-start the timer. It all took away from the enjoyment of actually doing the first jog. However, it also made me not concentrate on jogging and the fear of possibly failing. The minute+minute went by so quickly! I was actually a bit worried that the timer didn't work and that I hadn't jogged for a full minute x 2... But I did. I guess I'm not as out of shape as I thought I was, because it didn't feel bad at all, even though it's been months since I've jogged. 

I was a bit annoyed that it had gone by too quickly and that I would have to wait for another day to do more... But then I concentrated on the scenery and I really like the neighborhood. I also found out that Töölö Bay is really close by, and I even found a short cut to it so that I can totally go and do my walks and jogs around the bay! :wub: I've known it ever since 2006 when I started going out with my then boyfriend, and as I jogged more back then, I used to dream about one day going round the Töölö Bay... Lots of people jog there regularly, and it's really nice, and it's also flat land which I need to begin with. 

Was kind of underwhelmed by the exercise, but am again reminded, afterwards, how awesome one feels after a jog :smile2: Can't wait to go again! 

Edited by frankie

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Second jog went well, too. I could've jogged longer, but I don't want to overdo it, as I don't think I have the muscle for it yet... I don't want to risk any knee injuries. I went for the Töölö Bay and it was gorgeous! :wub: I think it's going to become a favorite of mine :smile2: 

I will :D Maybe not very soon but some day... :D

Did the third jog today, 2+1 minutes and walking. It went well, can't complain. I went straight after work, too, of which I'm particularly proud: I only came home to change my clothes and then I was off :smile2: 

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

How's your jogging going, frankie and dreamcompetitor?

I go running twice a week in winter and three times a week in Summer - because I can go before work in Summer. I try to get in a 5km to 7km and an interval training every week. I've had issues with my left knee - runner's knee, apparently - but I'm too addicted to running to ever give up.

2 hours ago, frankie said:

That's true, but at the moment I think it would be better for me to start with long walks... I think my knees might suffer should I just start jogging. 

Have you thought of cycling?  I love running, but have found that as I've got older, cycling is less physically stressful.  Long walks are great (I'm doing loads at the moment), but even done briskly they aren't great at raising heart rate (and if I do them briskly, then I find I'm too busy concentrating on walking and not enough on the world around me!).

8 minutes ago, willoyd said:

Have you thought of cycling?  I love running, but have found that as I've got older, cycling is less physically stressful.  Long walks are great (I'm doing loads at the moment), but even done briskly they aren't great at raising heart rate (and if I do them briskly, then I find I'm too busy concentrating on walking and not enough on the world around me!).

No, I've never really given it a thought. I used to cycle wherever I went when I was still living in Joensuu, but then my bike got stolen. The new one I got was a bit heavy and not as easy. Then I moved to Espoo and had no idea what it would be like to cycle there... I knew the cycling ways in Joensuu but was very unfamiliar with Espoo, and now that I live in Helsinki, I'm very much purplexed by the whole thing :(  

On 29-4-2017 at 11:27 PM, frankie said:

No, I've never really given it a thought. I used to cycle wherever I went when I was still living in Joensuu, but then my bike got stolen. The new one I got was a bit heavy and not as easy. Then I moved to Espoo and had no idea what it would be like to cycle there... I knew the cycling ways in Joensuu but was very unfamiliar with Espoo, and now that I live in Helsinki, I'm very much purplexed by the whole thing :(  

I also have trouble with my knee and have been advised by different people to take up cycling. I really don't like cycling though and I'm addicted to running, so I run for as long as I can and have to see someone for my knee a few times a year. Earlier I was playing Rammstein and my mom said that her spinning instructor used to play that, then she suggested that after my sister's given birth and when she wants to take up her spinning classes, I join her. Spinning's like cycling, but harder, I guess! 

I hope you get to do what you enjoy :) 

On 1.5.2017 at 11:26 PM, Alexander the Great said:

I also have trouble with my knee and have been advised by different people to take up cycling. I really don't like cycling though and I'm addicted to running, so I run for as long as I can and have to see someone for my knee a few times a year. Earlier I was playing Rammstein and my mom said that her spinning instructor used to play that, then she suggested that after my sister's given birth and when she wants to take up her spinning classes, I join her. Spinning's like cycling, but harder, I guess! 

I've seen spinning on TV and it looks like hell :D But I think you should definitely give it a go, just for fun :D

On 1.5.2017 at 11:26 PM, Alexander the Great said:

I hope you get to do what you enjoy :) 

I think I'll have to lose a bit of weight before I feel brave enough to try jogging again... It means I should take up walking but I find it so boring! Jogging wasn't boring... After jogging, I feel like there's no challenge in walking. It's just sooo boring! :(    I have to find a way to make it interesting. (None of my friends are interested in going for walks with me, or they don't have the time or they live too long ways away, so I have to go on my own. It wouldn't be boring if I had a friend to go with me!)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Frankie

I don't know if you are still jogging but have you ever done the couch to 5k. I know you are not a beginner in this but it helps people to run for longer over a period of 8 weeks.

You can chose somebody to talk you through the run and motivate you. I have Jo Whiley. 

I am probably one of the most unfit people ever and exercise bores me but I really needed to lose some weight and this really helps. 

Also about the walking is there not a local dog walking programme? 

• 2 weeks later...

I am about a quarter of the way through training for a trail marathon and I've hurt my Achilles tendon on my right leg. I can run on it but then I am in a lot of pain for 3-4 days afterwards so it looks like my marathon is out of the window. I have a 10km race next Sunday which I will run but after that I suspect I will have to take a break from running of at least 2 weeks. Fortunately it looks like I can cycle without any adverse reaction so at least I can do something to keep fit.

On 28.5.2017 at 6:43 PM, Lau_Lou said:

Hi, Frankie

I don't know if you are still jogging but have you ever done the couch to 5k. I know you are not a beginner in this but it helps people to run for longer over a period of 8 weeks.

You can chose somebody to talk you through the run and motivate you. I have Jo Whiley. 

I am probably one of the most unfit people ever and exercise bores me but I really needed to lose some weight and this really helps. 

Also about the walking is there not a local dog walking programme? 

The couch to 5k is probably very similar to what I was doing, only it was a 12 week regime. I've been thinking about starting it again, but I need to buy new sports bras for that, and so far I haven't been able to find any in my size :mad:   It's so frustrating! 

I've not looked into dog walking programs because after work I'm pretty tired and I don't want to commit to something in case I'm too tired to do it. It's a good idea though, thanks! :flowers2:

On 11.6.2017 at 10:51 PM, Brian. said:

I am about a quarter of the way through training for a trail marathon and I've hurt my Achilles tendon on my right leg. I can run on it but then I am in a lot of pain for 3-4 days afterwards so it looks like my marathon is out of the window. I have a 10km race next Sunday which I will run but after that I suspect I will have to take a break from running of at least 2 weeks. Fortunately it looks like I can cycle without any adverse reaction so at least I can do something to keep fit.

That sucks so bad! :(   But it's good that you can at least cycle. A silver lining and all :)

After some hours online, trying to find an online shop for bras my size, I managed to find two places and placed an order the night before last. Today when I got home I'd already received one of the bras, and it fit! :o:o  :D Yay! I can now start exercising and possibly even jogging. I'm well happy :)

5 hours ago, Athena said:

That's so nice :)!! I find it hard to find bras in my size too. Have fun with exercising :).

Swegmark is one of the two places I found, and I think they would deliver to the Netherlands, too (it's a Swedish brand)? At least they deliver to Finland. I mean in case you want to check their website out :)

Edited by frankie

17 hours ago, frankie said:

Swegmark is one of the two places I found, and I think they would deliver to the Netherlands, too (it's a Swedish brand)? At least they deliver to Finland. I mean in case you want to check their website out :)

I'll have to look them up, thanks :)!

EDIT: They seem to have my size :o, thanks!!

7 hours ago, Athena said:

I'll have to look them up, thanks :)!

EDIT: They seem to have my size :o, thanks!!

Yay, that's so great!! :exc: I hope if you order things from them, that the products are great and that you'll be pleased with them :smile2:   (The ones I ordered and already received and tested are from the other company, and not from Swegmark, so I've yet to try their product as well. Fingers crossed!) 

Edited by frankie

On 28.5.2017 at 6:43 PM, Lau_Lou said:

Hi, Frankie

I just wanted to post and say, your ^  message has made me seriously consider giving the couch to 5k program a go again. I did have a problem with not having the right gear for it, but now that I've found the stuff, I can actually do it. I've been thinking about it this weekend and I'm going to start next week. Just go with it and see if I'm okay with it. 

Thank you! :)  And good luck to your own process :smile2: