Jogging Diary

frankie

Yeah but oh dear, I haven't gone for one in a week due to stuff and I'm dreading to go the next time, fearing I can't do it :(

You can always go back a week in the program and try to carry on from there, that's what I would do.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can always go back a week in the program and try to carry on from there, that's what I would do.

It's actually something I've been thinking... But the perfectionist in me would think it's admitting defeat. Which is stupid because I already went back a week once, after having been ill for a few weeks. Why the mind be so stupid and perfectionist. It would be loads better to just admit that maybe I need to go back a week, if the alternative is that I quit :rolleyes::thud: !! 

I know!! And it's stupid that I know this and still I feel like it would be cheating... Oh crap!! But I won't quit... I will go again this week and see if I can carry on and if not, I will re-do last week's thing. Okay that's settled. Watch this space! *determined*

Edit: Thanks Brian, I really needed a pep talk!!  :flowers2:

Edited by frankie

I've had a really crappy day and I was just going to try and relax for the rest of the day and read, but somehow, quite out of the blue, I decided I ought to go for a jog and see if I could carry on. I decided not to even try the 8+7 minutes that was in order because it's been a really hot day and we're not used to it because it's been a very mild summer. Instead I decided to go back to the previous week and the start of it, like Brian suggested. Meaning, I did 6+5 minutes. It went well. I'm really glad I went. Thanks Brian!!  :flowers2:

I want to go jogging but I can´t, I started a few months ago but when I went 3 or 4 times, I start to felt pain in one of my knees, always the same knee! And I don´t know whay, I have the correct trainers and I stretch after the exercise. It´s a bit frustrating :(.

It could be a number of things but doing too much too soon is often the reason for niggles. A lot of programmes suggest walking initially as it takes time for the joints and ligaments to get used to the impact of running. When I started running I often used to have an issue with shin splints which I found hugely frustrating. I only managed to get round it by taking things really slowly and doing walk-jog-walk for a few months.

I've had a really crappy day and I was just going to try and relax for the rest of the day and read, but somehow, quite out of the blue, I decided I ought to go for a jog and see if I could carry on. I decided not to even try the 8+7 minutes that was in order because it's been a really hot day and we're not used to it because it's been a very mild summer. Instead I decided to go back to the previous week and the start of it, like Brian suggested. Meaning, I did 6+5 minutes. It went well. I'm really glad I went. Thanks Brian!!  :flowers2:

I'm glad you went out and enjoyed it. I always try to do at least 5 minutes when I don't feel like exercising and I often find that once I have started I feel better and finish workout.

I'm glad you went out and enjoyed it. I always try to do at least 5 minutes when I don't feel like exercising and I often find that once I have started I feel better and finish workout.

That's good advice :) Although with jogging, I've noticed that the first jog is harder: the second one after the 2 minute walk in between is much easier. 

I did 7+6 minutes today and it felt okay, even though my legs were burning a bit. 

12 minutes, hurrah! :)  Almost had a heart attack though, when towards the end of my session this shrew mouse ran past me. And the last time I went for a jog, I was again minding my own business and listening to the radio when I turned the corner and almost walked over a pigeon that was standing on the road. I was scared crapless! :D Especially when he took off because he got scared of me, and took off right towards me! :D I let out a scream and had to stop mid stride to take a deep breath. 

Frankie, Brian, yes, I'm new at jogging. I'm following a plan that I found on internet. I walk and jog. This week I did 15 minutes walking, 6 min jogging, 3 min walking and 6 min jogging. I think it's not too much, I'm not very tired. However, when I started to run more time, for example 6+3+6+3+6, then is when I have the pain in my knee. I went to the doctor and she said that it's not a lesion, only a muscle fatigue and I don't have nothing to do, only do some byciling in order to strengthen the muscles around the knee. I'm jog on asphalt because I feel very uncomfortable on lawn but I have a good trainers.

frankie you are improving a lot!! that's wonderful.

If it's only muscle fatigue, that's good, because we don't want your knees to pop! When did you start jogging, and what kind of plan are you following? Did you start from only a few minutes or did you go straight to longer jogs? If one's not used to jogging, it might just be that one starts with too many minutes or jogs too fast. That's what happened to me when I started again the last time. I had to learn to jog as slowly as I could, and only 2 x 1 minute, even if I would've managed longer otherwise. I had to 'listen' to my knees. 

Have finally moved on from where I left off some weeks ago. I jogged 8 + 7 minutes today. It's a really hot day but I still went. I just promised myself that if it gets too hot, I don't have to walk that much afterwards, I'll just come straight home. I also did a different route than usual, to spice things up. It was a bit trickier because I got lost a few times (or at least thought so, but then I always managed to find my way around) and it was difficult to try and avoid the steeper hills, and I had to jog back and forth a bit. It might've looked stupid but I don't care, because that kept my mind occupied and the time just flew by! :smile2: 

The nicest thing, though, is the popsicle I allow myself to have, after a jog in such a hot weather :D Cools one down quite nicely! 

Yeah, I started 2 + 3 minutes but maybe I run too fast, or maybe I increase the minutes too fast, for example I ran 2 + 3 minutes 3 days and then on the fourth day I ran 3 + 2.

Last week I went running and my knees are good! So I'll increase the time slowly and run a bit slowly.

How nice that you did a different route! I always do the same and sometimes it's a bit boring.

Yeah, perhaps you did run too fast at first. It's a very common mistake, one that I've made myself, too :D:blush::giggle2: I'm really happy to hear your knees didn't complain last week at all, sounds like you've overcome that problem now! :smile2: If they act up again, you just need to jog a bit more slowly, that's all. 

The same route every time sure is boring! Have you tried jogging it the other way? Something as simple as that might spice things up :yes: 

I went for a jog yesterday. 14 minutes. I was a bit scared but I thought I'd probably manage, and I did. It wasn't even that hard! I think it helped that it was a cooler day and the sun wasn't shining. I even did a short up hill sprint at the end and then jogged probably twice or three times as fast as I normally do, for about 20 seconds, to see if I could. It was great! :smile2: Afterwards my legs felt so nice :o They felt like I'd been to a massage... It was so odd! Because my shins were complaining during the running, but afterwards it felt just so nice. Wow! 

Bad news. I have the pain again! And this time I have it in my heel too. It's always in my right leg. I don't know why, I run slowly and a few time so....

I will go to a pediatrist to do a footstep study (I don´t know if I'm saying correctly in English) in order to know if I need insoles or is something wrong with my footstep. I don't know if I have to go to the doctor because the pain isn't go away and since Saturday... we are in Thursday.

• 8 months later...

In the past 2 years, my trying to finish and complete the 12 week program has always failed because of a move and a stressful situation. But it's not stopped me from thinking that I really enjoy jogging and that I really do want to give it another go and try and finish the 12 week program this year. In many ways I'm much more equipped to do this now: I've completed my studies (no study stress!) and I have a job (no stress over money, plus I can buy new jogging gear if needed). The only worry is that my lease of the apartment is for the end of July and I don't know if I will have to move after that... But that's .. 10 weeks from now?

I've been thinking about starting this again for some weeks now, and it feels that the time is right: it's warm enough, I have the clothes/shoes. I've only had to find the paper on which I have the schedule, and I've just found it :smile2:

I'm busy tomorrow, but I'm thinking I'll try and start on Sunday unless something unexpected comes up. 

Is there anyone else who's wanting to take up jogging this summer? :smile2:

Edited by frankie

I forgot... This is the program I will be following, yet again. (It's become a legendary one for me :D

Day 1  /  Day 2  /  Day 3

(walk/jog/walk/jog/walk)

Week 1    -   5/1/5/1/3    /     5/1/5/1/3     /    5/2/4/1/2

Week 2    -   5/2/4/1/2    /     5/2/4/2/1     /    5/2/4/2/1

Week 3    -   4/3/4/2/1    /     4/3/4/3/1     /    3/3/3/3/1

Week 4    -   3/4/3/3/1    /     3/4/2/4/2     /    3/4/2/4/3

Week 5    -   3/5/3/4/1    /     2/6/2/5/1     /    2/10/5

Week 6    -   2/6/2/5/1    /     2/7/2/6/1     /    2/12/5

Week 7    -   2/7/2/6/1    /     2/8/2/7/1     /    2/14/5

Week 8    -   2/8/2/7/1    /     2/9/2/8/1     /    2/16/5

Week 9    -   2/9/2/8/1    /     2/10/2/9/1   /    2/20/5

Week 10  -   2/10/2/9/1  /     2/11/2/10/1 /    2/23/5

Week 11  -   2/11/2/10/1 /    2/12/2/11/1  /   2/26/5

Week 12  -   2/12/2/11/1 /    2/13/2/12/1  /     30

I know I'm way more out of shape than I was the last time I started the program, but what is beneficial this time around is that I've been cigarette-free for 87 days. (It's not that I've smoked regularly in the past years, like, every day, it's just that if I have a few drinks I've allowed myself cigarettes and sometimes it's gotten out of hand. Have not allowed myself ANY cigarettes in the past 87 days, of which I'm hella proud :cool: I'm determined to quit for life.)

However, I've been wanting to do this for so long, again! I might've started earlier if I was more familiar with the area I live in... I'll have to figure something out and go around the place. 

I do really miss Espoo where I lived last year :( I miss the area and the awesome park where I always went for a jog. I'm totally going to treat myself to going there some day, just for fun. I can't believe it's been a year. I loved  the place. 

Edited by frankie