Jogging Diary

frankie

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GD's finish results at the Boston Marathon. GD finished in the top 3.5% of all female runners (557 out of 16092) in the Boston and in the top 14.33% of all runners (5102 out of 35671). WOO-HOO.

x

Amazing!! :)

I'm doing daily cycling on our hometrainer and keep going faster and burning more calories. It's going pretty well I'd say :).

x

Amazing!! :)

I'm doing daily cycling on our hometrainer and keep going faster and burning more calories. It's going pretty well I'd say :).

I must put up some daily training routine as well, if only a couple of minutes. I turned into a couch-potato lately and with my liking sweets and stuff, my weight tends to go into figures I rather don't have.

Great going, Athena! :)

LittleW, I find that starting to exercise is the most difficult part. The actual exercising is usually actually fun and one feels great afterwards :)

I started my jogging routine today. Four weeks, three jog-walk exercises per week (+ 1 day walk). The weather is now warm enough and I decided I was not going to care if my sweatpants aren't trendy and hi-tech. The most important thing is the actual work! Not what I look like... And I was so consumed by the times and minutes that it went over really fast and I didn't have the time to feel self-conscious :lol: I felt so great afterwards, and I'm still feeling incredibly proud that I did it! :exc:

I'm not much of a runner, so I started some fitness exercises that will only take some minutes at a time. But I did something every day after all. Which is better than planning a long daily routine and leaving it at that.

I bought new shoes for a job interview I had last Wednesday, and they gave me blisters :rolleyes: So I couldn't go for a jog on Wednesday. And then the weather got colder, it even snowed for a few days, so I couldn't go because of that.

This week it's gotten a bit warmer again, and my feet are blister-free again, so today I went for the second jog exercise. 8 x 1 minute jogging, the rest walking. 30 minutes. Or that was the plan... This jog program is so stupid, because it says 30 minutes, of which 8 minutes are jogging. So one's to calculate how many minutes one is to walk in between. And I'm so OCD that I want the walks in between to be the same length. The other jog program I did years ago told me exactly how many minutes to walk in between and how long the exercise would take etc. I'm in no mood to do calculus before I go for a jog, and when I'm out there, it's hard enough to remember how many jogs you've already done, and not have to wonder about the walk minutes, too :D

Well, oh, whatevs.

• 2 weeks later...

I did the third jog exercise last Saturday. 4 x 2 minutes of jogging plus 2 x 1 minute, plus walking in between, amounting to 30 minutes. I check the minutes on my cell phone... And I really need to stop listening to the radio, because the battery died!  :doh:  Luckily I'd managed to get the 4 x 2 minutes done, so I only had to do 2 x 1, trying to guesstimate a minute... :D Lesson learned: leave the radio alone, and check the battery before heading out. 

Edit: It's been too cold to go again. It was snowing yesterday :rolleyes: I heard on the radio that this was our coldest May in fifteen years. Oh well, it's supposed to be over +20 degrees next week  :b7ydance:

Edited by frankie

• 3 weeks later...

I've started again, and I hope this time I won't get distracted by anything unexpected. I'm hoping to have a very boring unfun month where I can concentrate on jogging :D 

I did 40 minutes, of which 6 x 1 minute jogging and 34 minutes walking. 

Week 2 of the program! Today I did the first exercise I didn't get to doing in May, so I was a bit nervous and worried. But I thought it's only going to get tougher and tougher and if I start doubting myself at this point, it's all going to go to hell. Mind over matter!

I did 5 x 3 minutes jogging and walked 2 minutes in between the jogs, and walked around the woods after the whole thing. 15 minutes jogging and 35 minutes walking in total. It wasn't easy, especially now that the walks in between were reduced from 3 minutes to 2, but I managed.

I can't wait for the whole thing to get easier. I want to go faster :D  

I jogged 2+3+5+3+2 today, with two minutes of walking in between jogs. The first 2 minute jog was so slow, I mean I wasn't feeling bad at all but it felt like the time just stood by. The three minutes took really long, too, and so I was dreading the five minute jog. So before that, when I was doing the 2 minute walk, I figured out how long I would jog in that 5 minutes, and added some extra distance to that and thought 'I will not think of time, I will only try and be aware of the distance and take it easy, and enjoy the view'. And it helped. The five minute jog wasn't that bad! And after that I knew I wouldn't give up because as I'd already done 5 minutes, there was no way in hell I couldn't do 3 + 2 minutes. 

I didn't do any extra walking today, I thought I could take a day off. Let my shins and thighs rest a bit :) 

I did the last exercise of this week today: 4 x 4 minutes. I think I was dreading it more than the last one :unsure: I really wasn't excited about going for the jog, I just felt I had to get it over with. I think this was the first time I seriously thought I wouldn't make it, beforehand. 

Personally I've found there are two stages of quitting: a) when you're thinking about it, but know you're not seriously contemplating it and b) when you're thinking about it and know it's unfortunately something that might happen. I think I hit the former stage today. 

I realized I definitely need to focus more on the distance in the future, not checking up on the time. And I need to come up with something to think about. Nothing specific, though, but I need to remember to keep my mind occupied by something. 

Awww :(. I hope you can find something to keep your mind focussed on. I would suggest books but I'm not sure if that suggestion is helpful :D. I had trouble focussing when I was on the hometrainer, my mind just kept getting filled with thoughts and that was one of the reasons the psychiatrist wanted to do more additional tests. Anyway.., I hope you can focus more on the distance, perhaps you can jog in an area with some nature or some people to watch? Some people like to watch people, I'm not like that but I've heard from others that this is something they sometimes like to do. You could also think about the meaning of life, current events, things to do tomorrow / next week / in the future, think about dogs, tv shows or movies. I don't know, maybe I'm not being much help. I hope you can find a way to continue with your jogging :empathy:.

Awww :(. I hope you can find something to keep your mind focussed on. I would suggest books but I'm not sure if that suggestion is helpful :D. I had trouble focussing when I was on the hometrainer, my mind just kept getting filled with thoughts and that was one of the reasons the psychiatrist wanted to do more additional tests. Anyway.., I hope you can focus more on the distance, perhaps you can jog in an area with some nature or some people to watch? Some people like to watch people, I'm not like that but I've heard from others that this is something they sometimes like to do. You could also think about the meaning of life, current events, things to do tomorrow / next week / in the future, think about dogs, tv shows or movies. I don't know, maybe I'm not being much help.

I meant more like I want to think of something that is related to jogging. I really don't want to start thinking about what to do tomorrow or next week because that's what happens tomorrow and next week. I need to learn more about living in the present in general. And I do my jogging in the woods, so there's nothing but nature :)

Maybe I should bump up the Haruki Murakami book on running.

I hope you can find a way to continue with your jogging :empathy:.

I guess I didn't explain myself clearly enough: I didn't mean I wanted to quit jogging for good. I meant that when I was jogging, I started to think about giving up and not jogging the rest of the minutes, but I wasn't at that stage where it becomes the most persistent idea in my head and my body felt like giving up. :)

Third week, first exercise today. 4 x 5 minutes. Oh boy, my calves were on fire, and not in a good way :D They were burning! My mind wasn't quitting, my body didn't feel like quitting, but my calves wanted me to stop. I almost did during the second 5 minute jog, but I thought if I can just manage til the end, I will do a longer walk in between, before the next jog. And somehow that did it and I was able to run the last 2 x 5 minutes. I was really pleased I was able to finish because it didn't look good at all at one point. 

Next time I'm supposed to jog 2 x 8 minutes and 2 x 4 minutes. And I think it's just too big of a leap from 4 x 5 minutes, especially as 5 minutes is the longest jog I've done on one go. I really don't know how it's going to go. I will also have to see if my calves will behave. If it's just all too much, I think I'm going to repeat last week's jogs or something and continue with the program next week. 

Third week, first exercise today. 4 x 5 minutes. Oh boy, my calves were on fire, and not in a good way :D They were burning! My mind wasn't quitting, my body didn't feel like quitting, but my calves wanted me to stop. I almost did during the second 5 minute jog, but I thought if I can just manage til the end, I will do a longer walk in between, before the next jog. And somehow that did it and I was able to run the last 2 x 5 minutes. I was really pleased I was able to finish because it didn't look good at all at one point. 

Next time I'm supposed to jog 2 x 8 minutes and 2 x 4 minutes. And I think it's just too big of a leap from 4 x 5 minutes, especially as 5 minutes is the longest jog I've done on one go. I really don't know how it's going to go. I will also have to see if my calves will behave. If it's just all too much, I think I'm going to repeat last week's jogs or something and continue with the program next week. 

I've seen your posts on jogging for a bit now, and really, you are doing wonderfully!  :flowers2:

Thanks pontalba :smile2: I really do like the whole program, it's a real challenge for someone like me who's not that fit and could get into better shape :) I also like how it's challenging me mentally, as well. 

Edited by frankie