Jogging Diary

frankie

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ That is only the weight loss aspect of it. There are so many other reasons to jog/walk, at least for me.

I walk for many reasons including weight, keeping sugar level down, and heart health.

btw, my pulse rate is 44 which is contributed to all the walking I do.

I mentioned calories as it's an easy marker which most people can instantly understand. I wasn't necessarily going for the weight loss aspect, getting your heart rate elevated is pretty important when general health benefits are a factor. Depending on a number of factors either can be beneficial. All I was trying to convey is that for a comparable health gain walkers need to work for 'longer' for the same benefit. Anyway, I digress.

There are numerous other reasons to walk or run, I find that it helps calm my mind down when I run on a regular basis. Without it, I can get tetchy and restless which really messes with my sleep.

Edited by Brian.

I walk for many reasons including weight, keeping sugar level down, and heart health.

btw, my pulse rate is 44 which is contributed to all the walking I do.

That is an excellent resting pulse rate muggle not!

That is an excellent resting pulse rate muggle not!

Thanks vodkafan. Whenever a nurse or doctor takes my pulse they look concerned and ask me if it is always that low. My regular doctor though knows that I walk on the treadmill and his response is usually....pulse is good, keep up the exercise. :smile:

Last week was a really rough week. negative.gif  As week 3 was so easy, I thought that my body was ready to go up a step and add more load. So on monday I went to the gym and had a light weight session. 

I was wrong. the rest of the week I was completely drained of energy and very sore and stiff in my legs and back. Not like a normal soreness, more like being completely depleted. But I still had to walk as normal and was very tired all week until saturday, when the soreness lifted.

Week 4

Monday 2         gym 20 mins cycling (12km) and weights plus 90 mins extra incidental walking during the day

tuesday 3         walk 5 miles plus 45 mins extra incidental walking

wednesday4     walk 5 miles  this day was the worst

thursday 5        walk 5 miles

Friday 6            walk 5 miles

Saturday           walk 5 miles OK

That's a shame VF, it's not a nice feeling when that kind of fatigue hits. Most people have the option to take a day or two off but you had to press on regardless which sucks. I hope you have a better week this week.

My update.

03/09/13 - 5.62km Run in 30:00

05/09/13 - 20km Ride in 46:26 6km Run in 30:00

07/09/13 - 6.71km Run in 36:00

09/09/13 - 6km Run in 32:00

Before this week I wasn't doing a lot of exercise because I was so mentally tired (when I'm mentally tired I can't control my body well and tell it what to do). The past few days though I've been walking with the dogs. I'm not sure how far we walked today, probably 3-4 km (since on average one walks 5 km an hour). It might not be as intensive an exercise as some other things, but I think it's a good place to start :). I find walking a lot easier than running. I have asthma and if/when I run it easily becomes too much and the asthma kicks in (I was usually last at PE at school). But walking I can do for a much longer amount of time. I also enjoy seeing the dogs enjoy the walk, and looking around and talking with my family. It's physically and mentally tiring but it's healthy and fun.

Edited by Athena

Cut back last week, I had lots of things in the flat and out to sort out, so just contented myself with the walking. So

Week 5

Monday         "rest" day, but ended up walking 2 hours total here and there.

Tuesday         walk 5 miles  plus 50 minutes incidental walking during the day

Wednesday    walk 5 miles

Thursday        walk 5 miles

Friday             walk 5 miles

Saturday         walk 5 miles

Sorry this is looking boring

Edited by vodkafan

Had a bit of a poor week training wise, I've been genuinely busy for once I just couldn't get much in. I managed 1 weight training session and 2 runs. Instead of letting this get to me and giving up I'm just starting fresh again this week. I need to properly schedule my training this week to make sure I don't deviate from it.

Had a bit of a poor week training wise, I've been genuinely busy for once I just couldn't get much in. I managed 1 weight training session and 2 runs. Instead of letting this get to me and giving up I'm just starting fresh again this week. I need to properly schedule my training this week to make sure I don't deviate from it.

That's still 3 exercise sessions a week Brian nowt wrong with that 

We walk about 30-45 mins. I'm not sure how far, I'm guessing since people walk 5 km / h on average, that it's 3-4 km, but I haven't measured it. I plan to add more exercise to it later on, when I'm less tired. At the moment, even little bits of most exercises are quite tiring, so I'm glad I can keep up with the walks. My mind is mentally exhausted. I've also been eating healthier and so far have lost a bit of weight.

We walk about 30-45 mins. I'm not sure how far, I'm guessing since people walk 5 km / h on average, that it's 3-4 km, but I haven't measured it. I plan to add more exercise to it later on, when I'm less tired. At the moment, even little bits of most exercises are quite tiring, so I'm glad I can keep up with the walks. My mind is mentally exhausted. I've also been eating healthier and so far have lost a bit of weight.

I find walking can be really relaxing, because I have the choice of focusing on just the exercise and making my body work hard, or just taking my mind out and letting it wander while my body is on autopilot. It's the same with swimming.  Either way it can be  sort of taking a little mental and spritual holiday for an hour or more. But I guess it is different for you Athena, your brain doesn't wander or switch off.

That's great that you have lost some weight, if you wanted to.

Going to write this now while I have internet access, even though I have not done my saturday walk yet. Good week but very tiring, added 2 weight sessions. Aching all over. Had to increase my food especially protein but it was difficult as stomach is sometimes sore and I feel too tired (not in a sleepy way) to eat high protein. Anyway here it is:

WEEK 6

Monday       (rest day) only 40 minutes incidental walking. Took buses a lot this day to avoid walking as much as possible.

Tuesday       Walk 5 miles    plus 40 minutes incidental walking

Wednesday  Walk 5 Miles   Weights session at gym , plus 40 minutes incidental walking (to gym and back)

Thursday      Walk 5 miles

Friday          Walk 5 miles   Weights session at gym, plus 40 minutes incidental walking

Saturday       Walk 5 miles

Walking times have not changed at all by more than a couple of minutes over the whole 6 weeks. I had supposed that I would gradually shave time off but it doesn't seem to work like that. I realise now that even a small increase in walking speed will require a large amount of effort, as I was already an efficient walker. The only way to increase my speed will be to change gait (ie run).

I am not ready for that yet though. I  sometimes feel like I want to break into a run but now I have started the weights again I want to let my body adjust to that new workload before making another change. My body will know when it is time.

Listen to your body,

Handle it with care.

Step inside it with your mind

And then you're almost there!

I find walking can be really relaxing, because I have the choice of focusing on just the exercise and making my body work hard, or just taking my mind out and letting it wander while my body is on autopilot. It's the same with swimming.  Either way it can be  sort of taking a little mental and spritual holiday for an hour or more. But I guess it is different for you Athena, your brain doesn't wander or switch off.

That's great that you have lost some weight, if you wanted to.

x

Thanks, yes it is different for me. But also, usually when I go for a walk with the dogs, I go with my dad. We talk, though there are also silent moments. If I walk on my own (without dog, since I'm hesitant to take the dog out on my own), then I tend to think about things, normally. I can't turn my brain off, though when I'm very tired I tend to sometimes 'zone out', my brain is too slow to keep up with the input around me and starts to hurt. I really don't like it when this happens.

I want to lose some weight, so far it's been going down in smaller increments. I used to be really thin, then I gained weight through medications. I don't want to go back to being very thin (I was so skinny it was hard to buy clothes since sometimes they didn't have my size), nor do I think that I could, but I'd like to be thinner than I am now. Ideally I want to be somewhere in between very thin and overweight.

It sounds like you're making great process, excellent!

x

Listen to your body,

Handle it with care.

Step inside it with your mind

And then you're almost there!

x

This sounds nice, did you make it up?

Sounds like you are all a lot fitter than me! I don't like excercise for the sake of excercise [or warnings from the excercise police]but all my life I have been able to have enough energy to do most of the things that I want [or need] to do. I like walking, but don't do more than 2 miles at a stretch, I also like gardening, and the excercise in doing that, plus housework generally, shopping etc stops me getting fat.Now  that I am 'pension age' I am a bit kinder to myself and tend to do more of what I actually want to do.I think jogging is an un-natural thing, man is meant to walk, or run fast when danger presents itself. Animals don't jog.The inventor of jogging died while out jogging of a heart attack.Hmmmmmn! Some people do get addicted to excercise for the  'rush' or they want  taut muscle packed bodies I suppose [if you don't keep it going though, it all turns into fat.]Didn't a Greek philos. say 'all things in moderation',  that's a good philosophy to live by I think, can't think of a better.Although somebody else[ Noel Coward?] said 'you should try everything once,......except incest and morris-dancing'. :giggle2:

No I remembered the poem from a Lynn Marshall Yoga book my mother had. It just popped into my head just like that after 40 years! Human brains are so weird aren't they?

x

That is weird! It happens, though :).

@ gardengirl

Sounds like you get some exercise from doing the things you do :).