Jogging Diary

frankie

When I got in from work at 8am this morning I decided to go for a run then. I didn't fancy going when I woke up at 5pm because I knew it would be 30C, a bit too warm for comfort. I did 5.5km in 30 minutes and felt much better than my last run. I've ran out of podcasts to listen to while running now so hopefully some new ones are new one are published soon.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankie you are slacking :P

Mid morning run today, I ran the first 5km in 24:26 and 6.05km in 30mins all together. I seem to have found what I need to do to run fast, eat something very carb heavy the day before. Yesterday for lunch I had a few hotdogs and because I avoid processed carbs (white bread) and processed meat (hot dogs) I felt pretty sick afterwards. However a pattern has emerged that if I eat a lot of carbs the day before I have loads of energy to run. I just need to eat something like brown pasta so that I don't feel so sick :D

I know I'm slacking!! :rolleyes: It's the stupid boy I had a date with, and the bad feelings of self that followed... Darn!!

Do you listen to music when you're running, or...?

Inspirational picture:

200903051329230.jogging_lauftraining.jpg

Edit: And I was just commenting on my stupid lacking, please don't think it was a rolleyes towards your personal direction. I appreciate wholeheartedly you giving me a notice!!!! :yes:

Edited by frankie

It's been really humid over here these past few days! I mean it's been raining today, on and off, but still it's been really hot :o Sweat's just falling off...

I was reading a self-help book and I thought about breathing techiniques and meditation and stuff... I think I'm a pretty shallow breather. I need to fix my posture and all that. I was also thinking about finding something to do other than jogging, if it's still going to continue being so humid. I reserved an afro dance DVD from the library, that ought to be interesting! I once went to a free trial day for Zumba and afro dance and others, and really enjoyed the afro dance. The moves are fairly easy, but I love the repetition and the rhythm. It's so ... pure and basic and you get into a zone. I should see if there are any afro dance classes in Joensuu... The DVD's arrived at the library for me to collect, I'll see if I can pop in tomorrow (it should be raining the whole day so might not be possible).

I managed to hurt myself while doing squats the other day so I am going to have to tweak my training a bit. At first I thought I'd given myself a hernia but after doing a bit of reading online it's common to cause a minor abdominal tear and my symptoms match. I won't be able to do any weighted leg exercises for a bit which is a bummer but I should have been more careful. I'm going to go for a run on Sunday and if I have no adverse reaction to that I might go back to running 3 times a week while I heal. It's frustrating to say the least.

I ran a 5K on saturday without running for nearly a month before that. Bad idea... :doh:

I'd say I ran half or a little more of it, the rest I walked. I finished in 43 minutes 43 seconds which I didn't think was terrible. It was a small town thing and I managed to get 2nd in my division. EXTREMELY SORE though because I was stupid and didn't train at all. 

I'll be starting to jog/run to get in shape for my basketball season soon. Hopefully I can do a mile in 5-6 minutes. (Scary goal) :)

It might be a lofty goal but that doesn't mean you shouldn't aim for it anyway.

I ran again last night, 5.78km in 30 mins. My pace was a little all over the place but more importantly, no discomfort at all.

Great work as ever, Brian! :)

Schultz (may I call you Schultz? :D), glad to have you posting in this thread! :)  Do you jog regularly? And you play basketball? That is so cool :D I liked playing basketball at one point in highschool, I wasn't the worst at it (I guess because I was one of the tallest girls in the two classes :giggle:).

Keep on posting! :)

(Maybe it will also throw everyone off from seeing that I'm not doing anything at the moment :blush::hide: )

I've made a commitment with myself that, sometime in the near future, once I'm a bit rested, I'm going to make an exercise schedule for myself (and then try to stick to it, of course). The schedule will include, walking, jogging, running, dancing, steps and perhaps other exercises. Not all at once, of course. I plan to start really slowly and then work my way up, so to speak.

Also, today I walked for ~40 mins with the dogs.

EDIT: Awww frankie, don't lose motivation! :hug:

Edited by Athena

Is it Ok to jump in? It seems like a good idea as my pedestrian career started last week.

These first 2/3 weeks I am just getting my body used to the workload , the distance is fixed (the distance from work to home) so my target will be eventually to cut down the time and advance from walking to running.

Week 1

tuesday 13      walk 5 miles  60 press ups 60 situp full of energy

wednesday 14 walk 5 miles

Thursday 15    walk 5 miles  Tired feet hurt

Friday 16         walk 5 miles  Raining. Somebody  threw an orange at me  from a car

Saturday 17     walk 5 miles

Time taken is between 1 hour 15 minutes and 1 hour 25 (on my tired day)

Edited by vodkafan

Week 2

Tuesday 20          Walk 5 miles   very tired legs felt heavy 

Wednesday 21     Walk 5 miles    still tired  60 press ups

Thursday 22         Walk 5 miles  75 press ups  Rained 

Friday 23              Walk 5 miles   OK

Saturday 24          Walk 5 miles  felt great very easy

Times were no better than last week. However my stomach has slimmed down visibly and my core muscles all very hard especially the ones in my lower abs and groin. Pleased with the progress. I need new trainers.

Thankfully I had to go and recycle some stuff, in order to get some cupboards a little less crammed, and thankfully the recycling center is on my jogging path... I had to talk myself into it, but I did manage to finally kick myself in the butt and start up jogging again! Took me a bloody month, that did... :rolleyes:

Anyhow.

Week 2: Jog 2: 5/2/4/2/1  plus maybe 5 minutes walking to the recycling bin. That's pretty lousy but it's better than nothing.

:clapping: Go Frankie!!!!

Any how, time for another update from me.

21/08/13 - 5.75km in 30min

23/08/13 - 5.26km in 30min

27/08/13 - 5.57km in 30min

Plus several weights sessions thrown in for good measure. My pace on the 23rd was absolutely dreadful so I took 2 days off from working out as it's an indication that I had been over doing it.

week 3

The walking is now completely effortless. So that's that stage completed according to plan. Next week I start adding the gym back in.

Tuesday was a day off work so went to the gym instead of walking for variety.

Tuesday 27        20 minutes cycle (12km) 50 sit up 76 pressup, 10 minute swim. Plus 90 minutes extra incidental walking during the day

Wednesday 28   walk 5 miles 75 press up 60 sit up

Thursday 29       walk 5 miles 75 press up

Friday 30            walk 5 miles 75 press up plus 40 minutes extra incidental walking during the day 

Saturday 31        walk 5 miles 75 Press ups

A few more activities to update.

29/08/13 - 6.03km in 30:02 Run

30/08/13 - 5.67km in 30min Run

01/09/13 - 19km in 46:57 Ride

03/09/13 - 5.62km in 30:01 Run

I am going to slowly start increasing my mileage again.

Edited by Brian.

I've been too nervous about starting my work and then too exhausted after working that I haven't done any jogging :rolleyes: Now I'm not even sure if I should jog at all, maybe I should start with longer walks.

At least I've been riding the bike every day, and I also have to walk up stairs :D

Here's a book I thought Brian at least might find interesting: Running with the Mind of Meditation: Lessons for Training Body and Mind by Sakyong Mipham.

My GD is running in the Lehigh Valley Health Network Via Marathon (26 miles) on Sunday. The Marathon is a qualifier for the Boston Marathon which she ran in a number of years back.

At my age and condition I am stuck with walking :smile: . I walk 7 days a week, usually, on the treadmill for 42 minutes a day at a speed of 3.8 mph.

The only real difference apart from impact with regards walking instead of running is the rate at which calories are burned. It's more than possible to use up the same amount of calories, it just takes a longer time and further distance. I think the figures are roughly 110 calories per mile walking and 160 calories per mile running.

At the end of the day all that matters is doing anything physical is better than doing nothing regardless or what it is or how slow/fast you go.