Jogging Diary

frankie

Hello. I'll keep it short and sweet. I started jogging again, and I'm doing a twelve week regime where you start from jogging a minute and continue on to jog 30 minutes by the third day of the 12th week.

In this thread I'm going to keep a record of my jogging and I was hoping that if there are any keen joggers on here, or people who'd like to give jogging a try, you could also post on here your daily/weekly jogging :smile2: There's nothing like spurring each other on!

Here's the jogging regime I'm going to do, if anyone's interested in starting themselves, and don't know where to start themselves. 

Day 1  /  Day 2  /  Day 3

(walk/jog/walk/jog/walk)

Week 1    -   5/1/5/1/3    /     5/1/5/1/3     /    5/2/4/1/2

Week 2    -   5/2/4/1/2    /     5/2/4/2/1     /    5/2/4/2/1

Week 3    -   4/3/4/2/1    /     4/3/4/3/1     /    3/3/3/3/1

Week 4    -   3/4/3/3/1    /     3/4/2/4/2     /    3/4/2/4/3

Week 5    -   3/5/3/4/1    /     2/6/2/5/1     /    2/10/5

Week 6    -   2/6/2/5/1    /     2/7/2/6/1     /    2/12/5

Week 7    -   2/7/2/6/1    /     2/8/2/7/1     /    2/14/5

Week 8    -   2/8/2/7/1    /     2/9/2/8/1     /    2/16/5

Week 9    -   2/9/2/8/1    /     2/10/2/9/1   /    2/20/5

Week 10  -   2/10/2/9/1  /     2/11/2/10/1 /    2/23/5

Week 11  -   2/11/2/10/1 /    2/12/2/11/1  /   2/26/5

Week 12  -   2/12/2/11/1 /    2/13/2/12/1  /     30

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27.5.2013: Week 1, day 1. It was my first day of jogging in ages so I did a bit more than I was supposed to. 5/1/5/1/3/1/5/1.   (Total: 4+35)  

Unfortunately my left foot started hurting later that day and was hurting for the next few days, too, so I had to bin the shoes (they were old anyways).

This week I finally got new running shoes!

21.7.2013: Week 1, day 2+3 combined: 5/1/5/1/5/2/4/1/22.   (Total: 5+41)   Feeling good and excited! :)

~

The final goal: 4.10.2013: 30 minutes jogging.

Edited by frankie

I've said this to you before but I will say it again. Don't try to do too much too soon, even if it feels too easy. Your muscles and bones take some time to get used to the rigors of running and you don't want to get injured. Getting new running shoes was a wise move, old worn out ones can also lead to injury. If you want any specific advice then feel free to hit me up.

I started from fresh in March with a similar program because I hadn't run in a while and last week my training was as follows. There were 3 short weight sessions thrown in as well throughout the week.

14/07/13 - Run 5.82km in 30 mins

15/07/13 - Bike 16.5km in 41 mins

16/07/13 - Run 8km in 44 mins

17/07/13 - Bike 17.6km in 44 mins

18/07/13 - Run 12km in 70 mins

19/07/13 - Rest day

20/07/13 - Ride 22km in 49 mins followed by Run 5.81km in 30 mins

My totals for the week

Running - 31.63 km

Ride - 56.1 km

This week was a high volume week, next week will be lower in distance for my running and probably the same for the bike. But if you stick with thing then you will reach your target before you know it.

Edited by Brian.

Glad to have you on board, Brian! :)

I've said this to you before but I will say it again. Don't try to do too much too soon, even if it feels too easy. Your muscles and bones take some time to get used to the rigors of running and you don't want to get injured.

I know, and you are absolutely right! And I do appreciate your concern, thanks :)  I promise I only wanted the first week out of the way and therefore did the two days together. I was thinking about all this yesterday when I was jogging and walking, and I did tell myself that eventhough it now feels easy, I have to do slow and steady progress. I'm not the spring chicken I was back in 2006 when I started this same program the first time: I'm now older and I weigh more to begin with. :shrug: I promise, in the future I'm going to do as the program tells me :)  And maybe I ought to take the walking as a bit of a challenge, too: ever since I've done jogging, walking's become really boring. But now I really need to re-program myself into liking it, because I can't just do the jog bits and not do the walking.

I started from fresh in March with a similar program because I hadn't run in a while and last week my training was as follows. There were 3 short weight sessions thrown in as well throughout the week.

I'd forgotten you started from fresh this year, too! Good job, and I see you're still going on with it, strong. Result :D Although it seems you are increasing your jogging distances a lot in just 2 day intervals? 

Oh, and please feel free to give any kind of book tips. I really want to read the Murakami book soon, I'm gagging for it :D

Today's a no-jog day for me, I'm quite happy and also a bit surprised that my legs feel fine and they don't seem tired or aching from yesterday. I might go for a walk or do a bit of dancing in the evening, but that's all for today.

I'd forgotten you started from fresh this year, too! Good job, and I see you're still going on with it, strong. Result :D Although it seems you are increasing your jogging distances a lot in just 2 day intervals? 

The reason for the increases is that I am following a new program and I have to juggle things about due to work. After doing the Couch-to-5K I moved onto a program called 'One Hour Runner' which builds up from 30 mins to an hour running. This is based around 3 workouts a week, the first is always 30 mins, the second increases each week by a little upto 40 mins and the final increases by 4-5 mins a week until it reaches 60 mins. This means that the overall weekly distance increases each week but only by about 5%. The 30 min run is a great recovery run to helps the legs shake off the aches from the long run previously. The distances were a bit on the high side last week because I had to juggle things and do 4 runs. On the flip side I've started this week with 3 days off.

If and when you get to it, welcome on board, Athena! :smile2:

22.7.2013: Today was a no-jog day, and I went for a walk. I need to come up with something else, walking is so boring. (Total: 1h)

Coming up with something else to do on non-run days is a good idea. Have you thought about some body weight exercise workouts, core strength is important and will help your running.

The reason for the increases is that I am following a new program and I have to juggle things about due to work. After doing the Couch-to-5K I moved onto a program called 'One Hour Runner' which builds up from 30 mins to an hour running. This is based around 3 workouts a week, the first is always 30 mins, the second increases each week by a little upto 40 mins and the final increases by 4-5 mins a week until it reaches 60 mins. This means that the overall weekly distance increases each week but only by about 5%. The 30 min run is a great recovery run to helps the legs shake off the aches from the long run previously. The distances were a bit on the high side last week because I had to juggle things and do 4 runs. On the flip side I've started this week with 3 days off.

Okay, that explains it :) I read somewhere the last time I was into jogging that the increase of time/distances should be only x % to the so far longest one you've done, I can't remember the actual percentages but your looked like they were definitely higher than that, but then again I didn't know what you were actually doing and that the 30 minute session was just a recovery run, silly me :D

Good luck with the regime, keep posting :)

Coming up with something else to do on non-run days is a good idea. Have you thought about some body weight exercise workouts, core strength is important and will help your running.

I'd like to start going to the gym, but at the moment I can't afford it and I kinda want to fully concentrate on the jogging at least for now. Re: body weight, I do have this regime I could start doing, I've been too lazy to do it so far... (although I did 30 situps yesterday, first time in ages). I have to look up what was in it and how many reps were done, but as far as I can remember, there were situps, plank, superman, and that thing where you kinda like go down to sit but then don't :D I can't remember what that's called. There was another one, but I can't remember what it was.

Sorry, haven't had coffee yet today :giggle2:

Edit: I have a 20 minute zumba video that focuses on the abs and the core so that would probably be good :)

Edited by frankie

Week 2.

Day 1: 23.7.2013: I almost didn't go jogging today. Regular mealtimes are so important, and eating enough, that I had some problems figuring out today's activities into the schedule. I had a date (:o), and then I was late for my dinner, and had to wait around for a pal to come by and bring me her old microwave oven. By the time I ate dinner I thought it was so late that I'd go tomorrow, but then a part of me said if you postpone jogging once, you're more likely to postpone it twice... and then who knows what happens. So in the end I went. Phew!

5/2/4/1/12   +   ~50 minutes of walking to/from town (Total: 3 + 71)

5.82km in 30:30 which is 5:15/km. I had hoped for closer to 5:05/km but I haven't run for 3 days and my hamstrings were pretty tight due to a heavy weights session yesterday. I really need to stretch after running but I am one of those people who just doesn't do it. I have invested in a Grid Roller to help self massage tight muscles. It hurts like hell but it seems to do the trick with my hamstrings and calves so far.

Edited by Brian.

5.82km in 30:30 which is 5:15/km. I had hoped for closer to 5:05/km but I haven't run for 3 days and my hamstrings were pretty tight due to a heavy weights session yesterday. I really need to stretch after running but I am one of those people who just doesn't do it. I have invested in a Grid Roller to help self massage tight muscles. It hurts like hell but it seems to do the trick with my hamstrings and calves so far.

It's still well done, good on you :)  I've been wondering about those Grid Rollers, I've heard they're pretty great, but yeah they hurt :D I'm so tempted, though... I love having a massage, but I could never afford to get as much of it as I wanted :blush: Maybe this would be the alternative...

Today was a no-jog day. Walked an hour earlier today, running errands, and then went for a walk with a pal and her dog. Good fun! :)  (Total: 2h 20min)

One of my work mates is a qualified personal trainer and he told me that Grid Rollers were a good home physio alternative. I'm hoping to get out on my bike tomorrow to do a 13-14 mile circuit that I have planned out. Its mostly country roads and it has a bit of a climb in it as well.

How much are the Grid Rolls then?

Mine cost me £32 including postage, £30-£35 seems to be the going rate.

I went out on my bike this morning but I took a wrong turning so ended up doing 16.5miles in 1hr 5 mins. I still have plans to do a weights session later on if I have the energy to :blink:

Mine cost me £32 including postage, £30-£35 seems to be the going rate.

Hm. Seems a bit pricey... but I guess it's some special material.

I went out on my bike this morning but I took a wrong turning so ended up doing 16.5miles in 1hr 5 mins. I still have plans to do a weights session later on if I have the energy to :blink:

:D Oooops!

I did very good today: I met with two of my old dear friends today, and the other's husband, and we went to town and went to a cafe and a fast food restaurant, and even a candy store. But I didn't have any coffee or any pastries or such like, nor did I buy a burger meal (went for a sandwhich instead). And didn't buy any candy and didn't taste any of my friends' :smile2: I haven't been able to be this firm with my diet for such a long, long time! :blush: *pats self on back*

Diet is a HUGE part of getting fit/losing fat, in fact some trainers say that it is 80% of the process. My weight has been fairly steady for the past 5 weeks, I have been training pretty hard but I let my eating habits slide. I am approaching a bit of a conundrum with my training and I'm not sure which way to go. I have been following a weight lifting program which changes the type of training every 4-8 weeks. Up to this week everything has been high reps with lowish weights, this is great for fat burning but not good for building muscle and strength. Because of this I have continued running and riding because they are also good for fat loss.

The problem is that I have a week off the weight training next week to let everything recover properly and after that I hit an 8 week strength and muscle building phase. This will involve low rep, high weight work. Running and riding, especially at my current levels during this phase will make building strength and muscle very difficult and leave me at risk from over training. The thing is, I want to do all 3 things but I know that this isn't a good idea. I am leaning towards doing the weight training 3 times a week and reducing my running to 1, 30 minute run a week. The hope is that this will allow me to make the strength gains required and keep my running fitness to about the level it is at now.

I am still not sure what direction to go in an its frustrating because I don't want to lose the progress I have gained so far but at the same time I need to increase my strength to prevent injuries.

Hm, that's indeed a lot to figure out. :shrug: You know way more about these things so I don't have any sound advice unfortunately. Just do what feels best and wisest for you :)

Diet is definitely elemental when training, especially if one has certain goals they want to achieve. I would agree with the 80%. I mean, you can exercise a lot and then botch the weight loss aspect (if that's what one's doing) with just overeating. But one can lose weight without exercising at all, as long as they monitor what and how much they eat. But of course it's best to keep both diet in mind as well as exercising :)

Yesterday was supposed to be a jog day but it was just too darn hot for me! So I decided not to go. And on top of that, I got the munchies (I think it's due to my womanly cycle) and I gave myself permission to indulge myself a little. Back to track today, although I don't know about the jogging, it's another hot day :rolleyes: Maybe I'll just go for a walk and see if I could go jogging tomorrow. Or then go very late in the evening, if it's cooled down a bit.

It's very hot here too, so I can understand how you feel (what kind of temperatures do you have there atm?). I don't feel like moving too much, it's just too warm for it. So don't feel too bad about yourself! Maybe you can do some kind of exercise indoors, or is it very warm indoors too?

My flat is one of those 'fortunate' ones that when the sun rises, it's lighting my apartment, and the whole day it's shining in my apartment and same thing when the sun sets. It's a bloody sauna :rolleyes::D I'm not kidding... In the past few days we've had temperatures going over 30, and while it's not the worst we could do, it's still too much for me. I don't do well in the heat. :rolleyes:

Now it's been almost a whole week since I've last went for a jog and I'm kinda worried that I might not get back on track :(  You guys have to push me if I don't go back to my jogging regime when this heat wave is over!! Honestly, I can't afford to not continue, health wise and all. Feel free to post in this thread to kick me in the butt, whatever it takes to get me back in track!!! :)

Edited by frankie

Wow.. that's really hot. Outside it can be that hot here on occasion, but inside our farm it's usually under 30 degrees. In most other houses though it's warmer than in ours. On the downside, in the winter it can be pretty cold here in this house.

Maybe you can make the agreement that if the temperature drops below a certain value (which is comfortable for you) that you then go to jog again? Let's say the maximum temperature predicted in the afternoon is 25 C. Then if you jog in the morning or in the evening it should be 20 degrees or lower. Would that be doable?

Wow.. that's really hot. Outside it can be that hot here on occasion, but inside our farm it's usually under 30 degrees. In most other houses though it's warmer than in ours. On the downside, in the winter it can be pretty cold here in this house.

Maybe you can make the agreement that if the temperature drops below a certain value (which is comfortable for you) that you then go to jog again? Let's say the maximum temperature predicted in the afternoon is 25 C. Then if you jog in the morning or in the evening it should be 20 degrees or lower. Would that be doable?

That's definitely doable :)  I think it's a bit colder today, so I might be able to go later on in the evening. But I have that date today so I'll have to see how long I'm out. Although when I was meeting the fella last week, I told myself I wouldn't let him or any other guy get in the way of my jogging regime :)

I managed to cover about 5.5km in 30mins after work this evening. I was a little concerned that I hadn't really eaten enough calories today and yesterday and my run proved that my suspicion was correct. I don't think I've suffered as much on a run as I did tonight for a long time. The good thing is that I completed it and I know how to remedy it.

I managed to cover about 5.5km in 30mins after work this evening. I was a little concerned that I hadn't really eaten enough calories today and yesterday and my run proved that my suspicion was correct. I don't think I've suffered as much on a run as I did tonight for a long time. The good thing is that I completed it and I know how to remedy it.

Well done! It's always tricky business: have I eaten enough, but not too much. It can really spoil a good run! :rolleyes: