The Amazing Mr Blunden by Antonia Frazer (out of print)

Janet

014-2007-18-June-TheAmazingMrBlunde.jpg

Originally published as 'The Ghosts'

The ‘Blurb’

It was such an old house it sometimes seemed to Lucy that all the past was gathered up inside it as if in a great box; as though it had a life of its own that continued to exist just beyond the reach of her eyes and ears. And did the amazing Mr Blunden, who knew so much about them, mean to hurt or help them? Could she really help those troubled ghosts from another age?

I first read this book in about 1976 and I absolutely adored it. Sadly, when I was about 13 I gave away a lot of books to the daughter of a friend of my mum, and this was amongst them. I’ve been trying to get hold of it for years, but as it’s out of print, the copies I managed to find were all really (and I mean really!) expensive. Luckily, I managed to get hold of a copy on Amazon Marketplace last week for a much more reasonable amount!

The book was originally published under the title ‘The Ghosts’, but was made into a film in 1972 and rebranded as ‘The Amazing Mr Blunden’. I have the DVD of this film - the screenplay of it is very faithful to the book - in fact, I’ve watched the film so many times that I could hear the characters speaking!

The paperback is just 138 pages long and was published by Puffin but is now out of print.

8/10 (for pure nostalgia value!)