Mircea Eliade - One of Continental Europe's Greatest Authors

IndyPhimaA

Hi all,

I am starting this topic on a relatively unknown Romanian author - Mircea Eliade.

Firstly, I would be interested to know whether there is anybody that has heard of this illustrious man / has read any of his works. If so, what are your notes / opinions?

I will shortly be composing a short summary of the highlights that are worth making a note of about the author.

To give you an idea of my opinion of this man: if I were given a chance to be able to communicate with somebody from the world beyond (if that is the case), it would be very difficult for me to choose between Buddha and Mircea Eliade.

Hopefully I will manage to make of this topic an attractive and interesting piece of information / media.

Looking forward to hearing from my fellow readers.

Best regards,

IndyPhimaA

• 3 years later...

Bump for resurrecting a three year old thread but I am currently reading one of his novels, Diary of a Short-Sighted Adolescent. Not his greatest work but it just shows how many genres can this author write in. I am more interested in his religious and mystical writings than his fiction.

Well... he's mostly known for being a historian of religion rather than a novel writer so I am not surprised. In 1987 he was editor in chief of Encyclopedia of Religion which is a collection of 17 volumes regarding every aspect of religion written at the time by leading scholars in the field. It might not seem that much with today's information but back then his work was monumental and it is still today the standard reference encyclopedia on religion. 

if you are not interested in shamanism, Indian myths and religion then feel free to try some of his fiction. Miss Christina is a good gothic mystery novel with a vampire, a haunted castle and a spooky family. 

Edited by MrCat

I read it many, many years ago so can't remember it very well, but I do remember enjoying Diary of a Short-Sighted Adolescent (I should probably give it a re-read). I had a teacher who loved Eliade so thankfully in school it was great studying the mandatory reads. 

Finished reading Diary of a Short-Sighted Adolescent. It was quite interesting and I have to say it did speak to me on a personal level since I was too a dorky, short sighted, awkward kid. I also found my refuge in books and music but I feel that this novel speaks to every teen on a certain level. Everyone's shy  misunderstood in highschool, these things come along with the age so even though this was written in the 1920s, one can still relate to it today. I think it is amazing how many authors and subjects these kids knew at their age, even the not so bright ones, not to mention Eliade himself. I mean I don't remember hearing anyone talking with ease about Balzac when I was in the 11th grade. 

I still like his books on religion and spirituality more but his novels are worth a shot too. 

Edited by MrCat