Author Robert Galbraith revealed as J K Rowling

Janet

Yay, Frankie!

Those one-star reviews bug me too (I shouldn't have read them!). When Raven mentioned the bad reviews, I figured people would just be complaining because it's Rowling, but I was surprised to see that they were actually offended because she used a pseudonym! They act as though she's the first writer to ever use a pseudonym. And it's not like they were tricked because they haven't even read (and probably hadn't even heard of) the book.

I have no qualms about authors releasing under a pseudonym, and I have nothing against J.K Rowling but call me a cynic, I find it a bit suspicious that before the book had only sold 1,500 copies when it was 'accidentally' released that it was her.

I just hope people can look past things like that and judge the book by its own merit.

My guess, and it is just that, would be that the reporter in question heard something somewhere and then constructed a story to hide their true source. 

I'm not cynical enough to believe that the reveal was a deliberate move to boost sales figures - after all, Rowling hardly needs the cash - but why would someone be wasting time investigating an author who has only sold 1,500 if they didn't already have some suspicions?

My guess, and it is just that, would be that the reporter in question heard something somewhere and then constructed a story to hide their true source. 

I'm not cynical enough to believe that the reveal was a deliberate move to boost sales figures - after all, Rowling hardly needs the cash - but why would someone be wasting time investigating an author who has only sold 1,500 if they didn't already have some suspicions?

I hope so! I'm sure she would have preferred to stay secret for at least a few books and see if she can become successful again, as an adult writer this time, then no one would have doubts of her talent.

While Rowling doesn't need the cash, her publishers are still in the business of making money from book sales, so they perhaps might want to boost the sales to the levels of the previous books that she's written. I'm not saying they revealed it on purpose, just that they don't publish books to keep authors happy, they have a duty to maximise sales for their shareholders.

I'm sure her publisher would be interested in selling as many copies of her novel as possible, but if they are playing the long-game (this does sound like it is going to be an on-going series after all) they were bound to make a lot of cash very quickly once the secret eventually came out!

I'm sure her publisher would be interested in selling as many copies of her novel as possible, but if they are playing the long-game (this does sound like it is going to be an on-going series after all) they were bound to make a lot of cash very quickly once the secret eventually came out!

I agree. I don't think the secret being leaked had anything to do with the publisher wanting more sales. The secret was always going to come out eventually, so huge numbers of the book were always going to be sold. I don't think a few more months or even a year (can't imagine the secret lasting any longer than that) would ultimately make any difference.

I will probably get the book although I haven't read any of the Harry Potter ones, probably in the minority!  :blush2:

I've only read the last of the Harry Potter series.  Didn't see much to it, although I know that isn't entirely fair.  I doubt seriously one can make heads or tails out of a 7 book series from only reading the last one.  ennh. :)

I have ordered one from Amazon though.  The price came down several dollars so I was satisfied. 

What prompted me to look at Amazon again though was a newsletter I receive from a Houston, Tx. bookseller.  They advertised that they had 5 first edition "near perfect" of The Cuckoo's Calling................for the very cool price of 300.00 USD.

I. Could. Not. Believe. My. Eyes.  Gawd!!

• 6 months later...

I was trying to look up when the new Galbraith book was coming out, and found this article. 

I really like what Rowling did here......http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/feb/17/jk-rowling-second-novel-robert-galbraith

The Silkworm is Rowling's third novel for adults, and the second she has written under her Galbraith pseudonym. The bestselling Harry Potter novelist was outed as author of the first Galbraith novel, The Cuckoo's Calling, by the Sunday Times, after a partner at her solicitors told his wife's best friend of her identity. Rowling sued and received an apology and her costs, with damages paid to the Soldiers Charity, to which Rowling also donated royalties from the novel.

The Cuckoo's Calling was my favourite crime novel of 2013,and I bought it before J.K.Rowling was unmasked as the actual author.

I've never read Harry Potter,though my son has them all. Looking forward to The Silkworm. :smile: