Steps for writing a good book review

Kell

Did you find this guide useful?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Did you find this guide useful?

I found this rough "how to" guide online & thought you guys might find it of interest:

Steps for Writing a Good Book Review

* Introduce the subject, scope, and type of book

* Identify the book by author, title, and sometimes publishing information.

* Specify the type of book (for example, fiction, nonfiction, biography, autobiography). Help your readers to review with perspective.

* Mention the book's theme.

* Sometimes you will need to include background to enable reader(s) to place the book into a specific context. For example, you might want to describe the general problem the book addresses or earlier work the author or others have done.

Briefly summarize the content

* For a nonfiction book, provide an overview, including paraphrases and quotations, of the book's thesis and primary supporting points.

* For a work of fiction, briefly review the story line for readers, being careful not to give away anything that would lessen the suspense for readers.

Provide your reactions to the book

* Describe the book: Is it interesting, memorable, entertaining, instructive? Why?

* Respond to the author's opinions: What do you agree with? And why? What do you disagree with? And why?

* Explore issues the book raises: What possibilities does the book suggest? Explain. What matters does the book leave out? Explain.

* Relate your argument to other books or authors: Support your argument for or against the author's opinions by bringing in other authors you agree with.

* Relate the book to larger issues: How did the book affect you? How have your opinions about the topic changed? How is the book related to your own course or personal agenda.

Conclude by summarizing your ideas

* Close with a direct comment on the book, and tie together issues raised in the review. Briefly restate your main points and your thesis statement if your teacher requires it. If you like, you can offer advice for potential readers.

I have to admit, I don't really follow any set format myself, but when I first started writing reviews (way back in high school) for books, we had a prescribed format & I found it helped to get me started. Now, I tend to go with the flow - whatever comes out, comes out, but if you've never written a review before, it can be a daunting task to be faced with.

Glad you liked it - there are loads of various guides online, but I rather liked the simplicity of this one. :D

• 2 years later...

One thing I like about this guide is it gives you things to think about before writing your review. It directs your response to the book so that the review you write is more constructive and helpful to other people.

And anyone who doesn't feel comfortable writing a review can always post their comments and start a discussion on the book they've read in the general books discussion section - that's always more than welcome too. :smile2:

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
The only problem from my point of view is that using this my reviews could get on the long side which might bore people - more than 5 lines and some people wont read....
I wouldn't think that's such a risk on a forum such as this :lol: to be honest reviews that are too short usually put me off more than ones which are too long, they don't say much ergo don't help me make up my mind whether I should read book x or not... which IMHO is what a review should do. If it doesn't, it's a comment.

I this guide is superb - credit to Kell there - for when you are starting out writing reviews. It gives you a kind of structure to base your opinions and thoughts on, then you can add to that in your own way. They're just ideas, nothings set when it comes to a review. As long as you put your own thoughts across and back them up, then the rest is up to you. I followed this at first when I started, then as I continued to review I just found it easier to let my thoughts flow through the keyboard how they wanted too. :D

Thanks Ben, but I just want to point out that I didn't actually write the guide - I found it online ages ago - I just wish I could remember where!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I was going to vote a resounding 'no' to this advice but, thinking about it some more, I can see some value to having advice about structure when you first start to write a review. But the idea that reviews should be so regimented appals me. I was reminded of the scene in Dead Poets Society where pupils read in a text book how to evaluate mathematically whether poetry is good or bad. The advice suggested is all mechanical but with no emotion. When I read a review I want to learn as much about the reviewer and his or her views on life, as I do about the book itself. A review strikes me as a good excuse to initiate a discussion - not a way of coldly and clinically dissecting a book. I only narrowly concede that this advice - like the pages of the text book in Dead Poets Society - shouldn't be torn up into shreds and burnt! Read it once as a crutch with which to write your first review - then throw it away and write from the heart.