I found these books in the library a few years back and I injoyed them so much that I have reread most of them. Unlike a lot of detective tipe of books I found them to be great fun and well worth reading, with charaters that I could truely get behind and like.

Here is a little a little info (very little as I know that some people don't like to spoiler alerts) :

"Marcus Didius Falco is the central character and narrator in a series of novels by Lindsey Davis. Using the concepts of modern detective stories (with Falco as the private investigator, roughly translated into the classical world as a "private informer"), Davis portrays the world of the Roman Empire under Vespasian. The tone is arch and satirical, but the historical information provided is carefully accurate."

• 2 months later...

Hello Vimes,

I was given a copy of THE SILVER PIGS some years ago, and being a hardback book not easy to tote about, so took a while to sit down and read it, but it was so very good and worth the effort.The author slips in so much  historical detail that you just soak it in without feeling back in school.I do think that some of the other books are as good and some definately not.I have put some of her later books on my wish list, what would you reccommend?

Firstly, :yahoo: someone else has read Lindsey Davis! Sorry to answer your question with another question, but are you wanting me to suggest another Falco book or one of her other works?

I ask because I have only read a little more than half if the Falco series and none of her other books :(.

And to properly answer you other question :D, yes Tony Hillerman is the writer of the Joe leaphorn and Jim Chee mysteries and they are very good. Started this one yesterday and I am already half way through :). Like Davis, Hillerman puts such care and detail into the story and the telling of the culture that is somehow such an important part of the story that it is wonderfully to read. The same go's to how he describes the scenery (he lives/lived where the books are based to he knew what he was talking about :D), it gives you the feeling of bring right there with the characters.

P.S Welcome to the forum, hope you injoyed being a part of it :)

Thanks Vimes,

I am enjoying this forum, trying to get a good reading list put together, and so interesting to see what others are reading.I have read about 7 of the Falco books. They are usually stand alone books, but think the later ones may be better read in sequence.I think so far, that the first book is the best.I have read at least three Tony Hillerman books [but ages ago] so can't remember titles, but was very impressed by them. Sometimes I like to be taken away from the Uk [if only via a book!] :readingtwo:

I am glad that you are injoying being here :). I agree with about some of the Falco books needing to be read in order. Yes the fact that they can take you anywhere is one of the great things about books in my mind!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi :smile: 

have just put some of the later Falco books on my TBR list, as I now realise that there are loads I haven't read yet [the later ones] hope the family will buy  a few for Christmas for me.The early books were put on the radio a few years ago here [bBC radio 4] which were good to listen to as you did the household chores, but the 'voice' of Falco was different to the voice as I had thought of him, it was too light [he sounded like  Colin or Trevor from Comet or Currys or somewhere to me!] :D 

• 2 weeks later...

Ai, there are times when I really would like to be living in London. I would have lived to have listened to them... :(

Hope you injoyed your books! :)

Oh, Vimes I assumed you were British? You can listen to radio 4 from anywhere just about in Britain [i used to live in London but now live near Oxford.]I will enjoy my new Falco books when someone buys them from my online wish list[soon I hope!]

Nope, lol never mind I might see if I can find them online (one can find almost everything online these days) :) hope you get your wish soon!