Books about Medieval Japan

Hi everyone,

About 2 months ago I finished Shogun by James Clavell and I loved it. Since then I have been in search for similiar books.

I don´t really care if it´s based on real events, but there should be this most interesting and exotic medieval Japanese culture of harmony, perfectionism and "not saying what you mean" (don´t know how else to describe it ;) ) in it.

Books i´ve already read or don´t want to read:

The Otori Series, read it around 7 years ago, when I was a teenager. Is it worth a re-read?

Memoirs of a Geisha, not interested, sounds too much like a Romance to me.

Stormdancer, it was ok, but I expected more from it.

Thank you for your help :)

This might not be exactly what you're after but, The Tale of Genji by Murasaki Shikibu and The Pillow Book by Sei Shonagon were both written in Japan in the 11th century. I've read them both in English translation (from the library, so I guess they should be easy to find) and really enjoyed them both - they'll definitely give you an insight into the culture, from a reliable source!

This might not be exactly what you're after but, The Tale of Genji by Murasaki Shikibu and The Pillow Book by Sei Shonagon were both written in Japan in the 11th century. I've read them both in English translation (from the library, so I guess they should be easy to find) and really enjoyed them both - they'll definitely give you an insight into the culture, from a reliable source!

Both look interesting, but I don´t think I have the endurance to read 1000+ pages of "Romance". Maybe I give The Pillow Book a try. Nevertheless thanks for your recommendations :)

Have you tried James Clavell's other novels?

No, I haven´t, but from what I´ve read about them, I get the impression, that they are not as nearly as good as Shogun. Would you recommend reading them?

So, as a conclusion to the non-existence of further suggestions I can say that this is a genre nobody except me takes any interest in? Is there simply a lack of good books? Or are the good books not known by western people?

Both look interesting, but I don´t think I have the endurance to read 1000+ pages of "Romance". Maybe I give The Pillow Book a try. Nevertheless thanks for your recommendations :)

No, I haven´t, but from what I´ve read about them, I get the impression, that they are not as nearly as good as Shogun. Would you recommend reading them?

I would definitely recommend Tai Pan, great story telling revolving around Hong Kong and the Opium wars.