Your Book Activity - July 2013

I've abandoned Replay for the time being :( It's a great book but my mojo's just not on board!! :(:banghead:  

:(

Oh well, at least you'll know what Jeff's going through when you start it again :giggle2:  :D

I'm 300 pages into R. Scott Bakker's The Darkness That Comes Before, plus I read a couple more Conan stories: Iron Shadows in the Moon and Xuthal of the Dusk :smile:

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a look at your wishlist and I can only see Corduroy Mansions by Alexander McCall Smith on it - that's a story set around a single apartment building in London, that was written in the style of Charles Dickens with each chapter being published in a newspaper on a daily basis, then the whole lot collected into a single book at the end of the story.

Crap, I forgot about checking my wishlist, I had so many things online I had to deal with that I completely forgot myself :blush::lol: But yeah, Corduroy Mansions is the one I've been thinking about reading... I don't know why I thought it would be about books per se... Have you read any books in that series? :shrug:

:(

Oh well, at least you'll know what Jeff's going through when you start it again :giggle2:  :D

The thing you must understand is that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the book - I think it's just my current mood :rolleyes: And it's much better that I leave the book now to rest, and read it when I can fully dedicate myself to it. Better chances of liking it, aye? ;)

Crap, I forgot about checking my wishlist, I had so many things online I had to deal with that I completely forgot myself :blush::lol: But yeah, Corduroy Mansions is the one I've been thinking about reading... I don't know why I thought it would be about books per se... Have you read any books in that series? :shrug:

I have read the first two Corduroy Mansions books, but I wasn't that enamoured and have given up on that series. The 44 Scotland Street and the Isabel Dalhousie series are the only two of McCall Smith's that I read now, but I would always try any new ones he started.

Finished The Sisters Brothers. I really, really enjoyed it. It may be the best (or one of the best) book I've read this year.

The Sisters Brothers is one of my favorites, glad you enjoyed it! :readingtwo:

I've abandoned Replay for the time being :( It's a great book but my mojo's just not on board!! :(:banghead:   Also tried starting The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price Purveyor of Superior Funerals and while it was great, I abandoned it, too. I just can't focus on books! :(  Then I started re-reading a true crime book and so far it's stuck. I think it's because it's non-fiction and a re-read, and I really liked it the first time. Although I don't know if I'm that bothered to continue reading it tonight... :rolleyes: I wish I had my darling mojo back. 

No use trying to force it, mojo will return faster if not forced.  Annoying as  that is! :JC_cookies:  Cookies make everything better. :D

I have read the first two Corduroy Mansions books, but I wasn't that enamoured and have given up on that series. The 44 Scotland Street and the Isabel Dalhousie series are the only two of McCall Smith's that I read now, but I would always try any new ones he started.

Oh dear... Well I'll just have to borrow the first in the series from the library and give it a go... :shrug: Not to hurry now, though :D

No use trying to force it, mojo will return faster if not forced.  Annoying as  that is! :JC_cookies:  Cookies make everything better. :D

Yeah, it's annoying but I'll just have to ride it out! :rolleyes: Oh yay cookies, gimme :lol: Nom nom nom...

Now 400 pages into The Darkness That Comes Before.  I'm quite surprised - I thought I might find this one a struggle, but I'm getting through it a lot faster than I expected  :smile:

I've abandoned Replay for the time being :( It's a great book but my mojo's just not on board!! :(:banghead:   Also tried starting The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price Purveyor of Superior Funerals and while it was great, I abandoned it, too. I just can't focus on books! :(  Then I started re-reading a true crime book and so far it's stuck. I think it's because it's non-fiction and a re-read, and I really liked it the first time. Although I don't know if I'm that bothered to continue reading it tonight... :rolleyes: I wish I had my darling mojo back.

x

Awww sorry to hear your mojo's not on board :(.

@ Alexander McCall Smith's books

I have several books from his various series, all unread though. I want to read all the series in order and preferably once I have all of them (instead of starting on book one and then having to wait until I have book two etc.).

EDIT: I finished reading Emily Giffin - Baby Proof and am now trying to think of my next read. I only have a few days, and then it's the read-a-thon, and I think I prefer to be done with a book before the read-a-thon starts. So it'll have to be a short read. I'm not sure yet what to pick (certain short reads I'm saving for the read-a-thon). Also the story of the book I just read is still in my mind (I finished it this morning) and usually it takes a bit of time before I'm reading to choose a next read, because I'm still thinking about the previous one. I'll soon write a review / some thoughts about the book.

Edited by Athena

My mojo is wandering a bit too .. I'm still reading Mark Watson's The Knot and it's nothing to do with my enjoyment of it or otherwise .. I just don't want to pick up a book at the mo :( .. bit worrying .. I hope it's fleeting. Have the read-a-thon starting this week so need to be at least thinking about picking up a book :D

Perhaps your mojo and mine have gone off on a jolly again frankie :D .. little tykes!

x

Awww sorry to hear your mojo's not on board :(.

Thanks for the sympathy, always appreciated! :)

@ Alexander McCall Smith's books

I have several books from his various series, all unread though. I want to read all the series in order and preferably once I have all of them (instead of starting on book one and then having to wait until I have book two etc.).

I've read the first one in his Mma Ramotswe series and it was pretty good. He's written so many that I've begun to wonder if it's only an alias for many different authors. A bit like Carolyn Keene with her Nancy Drew books :D

My mojo is wandering a bit too .. I'm still reading Mark Watson's The Knot and it's nothing to do with my enjoyment of it or otherwise .. I just don't want to pick up a book at the mo :( .. bit worrying .. I hope it's fleeting. Have the read-a-thon starting this week so need to be at least thinking about picking up a book :D

Perhaps your mojo and mine have gone off on a jolly again frankie :D .. little tykes!

I think that's very likely and was actually thinking about the same when I read your mojo's gone awol, too :D Bloody culprits!! I think though that mine's gone off to secretly visit chaliepud and her new little puppy :D I effing hope mojo brings pictures when he gets back, otherwise I'll be mighty annoyed! :lol:

I've now finished Walden on Wheels. A great read by all accounts, a very interesting insight to a young man's quest not to get into debt whilst putting himself through college. This book follows his adventures around America saving money and working hard to pay for his education. There are a lot of highs and lows in this book both in terms of his story and the interest of the stories as well. These tend to coincide with when he is interacting with other people and when he is alone with his thoughts.

The end bit of the book is possibly the most intriguing but unfortunately it is also the shortest section of the book, I would like to have seen more stories from this section of the boo, luckily there author was actively blogging during the period which he wrote the last section of the book so it's nice to be able to cross reference those.

On the whole this book is a great read for anyone interested in money and living a simple lifestyle, it has certainly inspired me to stop spending money on material possessions and to see more of the world. If you are young and carefree then this book could be a real inspiration.

I plan on reading Walden on Wheels over the next month or so. I like the idea of getting away from this spend-spend-spend mentality that seems to pervade everything. Even if you try to be frugal, it's so easy to fritter money away on something that you don't really need. It will be good to read his insights and hopefully it will help put things in perspective about necessary v. luxury spending.

I'm on the last few pages of A Long Way Gone, Ishmael Beah's account of his experiences as a child soldier in the bitter civil war in Sierra Leone a decade or so ago, and of his eventual rehabilitation.  It's a harrowing and disturbing book that reinforces what we already know about the brutality of that conflict and others in the region. 

I finished 'Love Over Scotland' by Alexander McCall Smith last night and have now started 'The World According to Bertie', the next installment of the 'Scotland Street' books.

I think that's very likely and was actually thinking about the same when I read your mojo's gone awol, too :D Bloody culprits!! I think though that mine's gone off to secretly visit chaliepud and her new little puppy :D I effing hope mojo brings pictures when he gets back, otherwise I'll be mighty annoyed! :lol:

x

:lol:!! I hope both of you get your mojo back soon :)!

560 pages into The Darkness Comes Before.  Only started it on Saturday, should finish it today.  640 pages in four days is very fast reading for me.  My mojo is okay at the moment  :P  :D

x

:lol:!! I hope both of you get your mojo back soon :)!

Thanks Athena! :):friends3:

560 pages into The Darkness Comes Before.  Only started it on Saturday, should finish it today.  640 pages in four days is very fast reading for me.  My mojo is okay at the moment  :P  :D

Are you trying to rub our noses in it, Sir Mister? :o  What appalling manners. Indeed!

:lol:

I started to read Anita Shreve - Body Surfing but couldn't get into the writing style so I've put it aside for now (I'm in the mood for something easier to read). Instead I've started to read Delphine de Vigan - No and Me, I've only read 10 pages so far but it's quite good. It reads easily and it seems like an interesting story.

I like the way your mojo is a 'he'.. :D  You're both welcome anytime. :)

I only realised it myself today :D I'm now feeling quite awkward, having had this long relationship with a 'he' and not having even known about it... :D:rolleyes:

Edit: I did just also remember that I am still in the middle of that true crime book and very much enjoying it, but didn't get any reading done yesterday, I had too many people to meet. I should get back to the book later today.

Edited by frankie

A couple weeks ago I finished A Tale of Two Cities and absolutely loved it. 

Currently reading Les Miserables but can't really get into it. I'm hoping it gets better as I get towards the middle and end. (I just started it)

A couple weeks ago I finished A Tale of Two Cities and absolutely loved it. 

I'm happy you did, it's an amazing book, one of my top 5 reads ever! :smile2: Too bad you're not getting into Les as easily, but I hope it'll soon get better for you :)